Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dodge Viper
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
DakianDelomast

In the early 90s Dodge was floundering. Their only money maker was their caravan which started the minivan revolution but they needed something a little more. They needed an icon. Something that gave all of their cars an identity. In came the viper.

With a gigantic V10, no roof at all, and not much else the car was a motor which just so happened to have wheels and brakes. I think this car is the most pure expression of the old AC 427 Cobra. Over the years a roof found its way on the car and other things like windows made it on as well. This car in my opinion embodies that which american cars are about.

That and I think the wheels are just sexy.
Phix
I give it a cool. How well does it handle, though?

(No! I'm not asking simply because it's American! Ok... so maybe 25% of me is.)
DakianDelomast
Hahaha it handles like a shopping cart with 2 broken wheels. biggrin.gif
Viper007Bond
Uber cool. It's frankly a horrible car and so totally not practicable, but it's still a cool car. It's the modern version of classic American muscle. Just you, the engine, the wheels, and the road.
Phix
QUOTE(Viper007Bond @ Feb 1 2005, 09:25 PM)
Uber cool. It's frankly a horrible car and so totally not practicable, but it's still a cool car. It's the modern version of classic American muscle. Just you, the engine, the wheels, and the road.

....and then the tree joins the party or some guys living room, eventually.
The Milky Man
Definety cool. The old ones look much better than the new ones IMO.
Dylan
It's so brutal, that it has to be cool.
Viper007Bond
QUOTE(Phix @ Feb 1 2005, 07:28 PM)
....and then the tree joins the party or some guys living room, eventually.

So? tongue.gif
Jordan
give enough pictures there? we all know what a Viper looks like...
DakianDelomast
Could you possible be any more of a tard? I mean really is it possible?
The Milky Man
QUOTE(Fiend @ Feb 1 2005, 07:16 PM)
give enough pictures there? we all know what a Viper looks like...

He's just making sure we all vote cool wink.gif
bing5500
Uber cool...a '98 GTS is still my choice of car if I ever win the lottery...
Boxster17
A blue GTS with white racing stripes all the way...
dukenukem
super duper cool.
leif
not cool...and not just because its american...although that does play a part...

the red an yellw example lost it some points...the interior looses it some more...the price takes a toll (no "its a bargain for the performance" arguments for this one)...but fianlly the fact that they lost the side exausts due to "safety reasons" totaly spoiled the image of the "bad dodge"
Viper007Bond
A] What's wrong with American cars?

B] Uh, what are you on about with side exhaust? Only the GTS had rear exhaust. The current version, the SRT-10, has side exhaust.

C] Red with yellow was only an optional color scheme available from 1992-1995, if even that long.

D] Umm, since when is all that performance at that price a bad deal? huh.gif
dukenukem
TVR sucks monkey balls.
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 2 2005, 01:41 AM)
TVR sucks monkey balls.

Next time you do this duke you're taking a little vacation tongue.gif
leif
the side exausts were only there for the first little while...then they were moved to the back on all models because of complaints about people burning themselves when they got out of the car.....yes the new one does have side exausts...but this is a homage to the original...and as jermey demonstrated it does sometimes ignight the body work.

the price...Its $7,000 short of of 911 Turbo money...$6000 more than a GT3 MKII...same price as a gently used DB7 Vantage (2002) or AMG SL55 (2003)

i.e. not worth it...when you consider what you can get for the same or less money

The ugly red one makes them all look bad...like celine dion and anne murray makes all canadians look bad

and american cars have poor build quality and ancient technology

there you go...un cool
Renesis
Cool.
Renesis
Cool.
Mellender17
Red/silver stripes or blue/white stripes, and it's freeeeezing.
DakianDelomast
QUOTE(leif @ Feb 2 2005, 04:18 PM)
The ugly red one makes them all look bad...like celine dion and anne murray makes all canadians look bad

and american cars have poor build quality and ancient technology

there you go...un cool

Unfortunately the cool wall is a democracy and everyone's vote counts, no matter if their votes are based of of stupid biases or what not. Being the only people to vote uncool so far does say something biggrin.gif
Dylan
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Feb 2 2005, 10:50 AM)
Next time you do this duke you're taking a little vacation tongue.gif

:heart: :heart: :heart:
leif
yes it is a democrasy...I guess im the guy in the tinfoil hat!
UserDrew
It's cool, handles like a muscle car, but the interior gets really hot when you drive it at highspeeds. whistle.gif Maybe it was just me.

Also the gearshift absorbs a lot of heat and you can feel it when you shift. I think they fixed it with the 96s or something.
Phix
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Feb 4 2005, 01:29 AM)
It's cool, handles like a muscle car, but the interior gets really hot when you drive it at highspeeds. whistle.gif Maybe it was just me.

Also the gearshift absorbs a lot of heat and you can feel it when you shift. I think they fixed it with the 96s or something.

Whoa, you drove a Viper let alone at "high speeds"?
UserDrew
Yeah, I have a friend with an autoshop out in the boonies in Eastern San Diego. I was there when a customer pulled in and we started talking about it. He took me out to the desert and let me drive the fuck out it. It was wierd becuase it was RWD and besides my Karmann Ghia, it was wierd. Plus it had like 460 more horses than my Ghia. It was fun.
Phix
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Feb 4 2005, 02:29 PM)
Yeah, I have a friend with an autoshop out in the boonies in Eastern San Diego. I was there when a customer pulled in and we started talking about it. He took me out to the desert and let me drive the fuck out it. It was wierd becuase it was RWD and besides my Karmann Ghia, it was wierd. Plus it had like 460 more horses than my Ghia. It was fun.

What's a Kharmann Ghia? tard.gif
TexanBerettaGT
Vipers define all there is to love about the EPA or whatever they call themselves now. Outragious(sp) horsepower, big engines, and a nice exhaust.

Is there a better way to show that your an American that driving a big V8, Or V10 with nothin but two seats and four wheels ?, Heck no.

Its so impractical thats what makes it great. Its an awesome car and yeah nuff said.

Uber cool.
McKhaos
I remember the Viper was featured in the first car magazine I ever bought , back in '92 . Saw it then and fell in love . Uber cool for me .
TrueSlideXL
Pre 1997 cars had drastically different pricing. I have a little fetish to sell the Supra and get a 92 Viper or a 930 porsche. Each year as the car got more popular and it became "civilized" prices went up. It was cheap at it's introduction compared to what cars were around then. Suprising how much the used r/t-10 cars go for today, it's a steal. The GTS and ACR are different cars and should not have been posted together with the r/t-10. BTW where were the good handing cars when Dodge was bending over FIAGT and having it's way?
nismo
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Feb 4 2005, 02:29 AM)

If i had a viper, there is no way in hell i would hand my keys over to some teenager with an ancient camry, or a cougar. Whatever you had at the time.
UserDrew
Damn, you are one sour asshole. I am 21, I was twenty when I drove the thing. And It wasn't as if he just handed over the keys. I met him at a shop first, then I saw him later at Mazda Rev-It-Up 2004 and started talking to him. Then I saw him at the same shop in August when he brought in his car at that point I then "slyly" asked him if I could try it out by talking about other cars I test drove and races I've taken part in. He was interested in one of the remote locations I and some of my friends like to use as a course I parked my car in a state park parking lot And He gave me a ride take some of the turns and hills at highspeeds, then let me drive back.
350Z
Voted cool. That pic with the yellow rims looks awful imo.
fallon
I've always held a special little place in my heart for the viper, especially the GTS.

Cool.
moe89
Huge engine (8.3L V10) only manages 500hp and is way too unrefined

Not a match for TVR T440 or Typhon
350Z
500 hp is alot i dont really think it needs any more.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe89 @ Feb 27 2005, 07:20 PM)

are you sure you are brown ???
R. Waters
QUOTE(moe89 @ Feb 27 2005, 04:20 PM)

yes, because the Viper was made to compete with the Typhon
moe89
The Typhon has 6 cylinder(I think) and produces a massive 580hp and doesnt cost thaaatt much more and weighs a hell of a lot less

I dont mind when luxury sedans have got huge engines because they are more refined and don't affect the weight that much

The viper has got a gigantic engine withonly 500hp...WHY?????

same with the Corvette Z06 which has got a very large 7 liter V8 with only 500hp....WHY?????

Go for the TVR's!!!!!!

And by the way I have vitiligo, but I was born 100% brown and am now around 90% brown physically but 100% brown internally I speak Telegu!
PandaBeat
Just cool. But way cooler than the SRT-10.
Raven
Probably the best looking American car ever. It has such aggressive looks and it looks really fat and powerful. cool.gif

I only gave it a 'cool' though. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.