Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yellow 993
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Car Sightings
Jordan
I was getting a ride home from school today and I spotted this car on 30th Street Hill. We ran back to get my camera and got some pretty good pictures. However, it was REALLY dirty and the stupid fucker put a Rockstar sticker on the rear window... idiot. Anyways. Enjoy.

it had Turbo wheels

this was a blind picture. i just put the flash on and stuck it under the boot.
Phix
I'm still wondering what a person would do if he came back to find some random person photographing his car-- especially UNDERNEATH his car. Hehe.
Renesis
how gay is that little addon spoiler! thumbs_down.gif
Jordan
Yeah thats happend to me already. There is this fairly large dry cleaning buisness and the owner drives a modded 996 911, and we were taking about 50 pictures of it, he comes out and asks if he can help us. Usually thy're pretty nice about it, the dry cleaning guy even let us see the flat-six!
Jordan
QUOTE(Renesis @ Jan 12 2005, 04:41 PM)
how gay is that little addon spoiler! thumbs_down.gif

i didnt think it was. i thought it was for when the hidden spoiler comes up you're still able to see a brake light.
PAULIE_D
I love everything about it ... except the aftermarket rear spoiler.
porsche944
QUOTE(Fiend @ Jan 12 2005, 08:43 PM)
Yeah thats happend to me already. There is this fairly large dry cleaning buisness and the owner drives a modded 996 911, and we were taking about 50 pictures of it, he comes out and asks if he can help us. Usually thy're pretty nice about it, the dry cleaning guy even let us see the flat-six!

Yah when i saw the panoz esperante, We were looking at it and the guy came out said "can i help you?" and then proceeded to give us a full tour and history of the car. When people buy cars like that, they WANT people to be jealous of them tongue.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(PAULIE_D @ Jan 12 2005, 05:48 PM)
I love everything about it ... except the aftermarket rear spoiler.

It's not aftermarket, it's stock on '94-'96 993s. It's called the Basket Handle by enthusiasts.

Some 964s had a near-identical piece. Personally, I like it...moreso on red 911s though.
NorthPoint
I always thought the 993 was one of the better looking 911 gens. There is a silver 993 Turbo in my buildings garage now; the owner seems to have traded in her 3-series. It looks fantastic. It's under wraps now though, stored away for the winter.
clarkma5
QUOTE(NorthPoint @ Jan 12 2005, 06:58 PM)
I always thought the 993 was one of the better looking 911 gens. There is a silver 993 Turbo in my buildings garage now; the owner seems to have traded in her 3-series. It looks fantastic. It's under wraps now though, stored away for the winter.

A large percentage of people...I'd say the majority, really...consider the 993 to be the best looking 911. I only agree on the basis of how sexariffic the 993 Turbo is in person.
NorthPoint
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 12 2005, 09:01 PM)
A large percentage of people...I'd say the majority, really...consider the 993 to be the best looking 911. I only agree on the basis of how sexariffic the 993 Turbo is in person.

Probably true... in the end though, I'd take a classic mid-80s Turbo with a whale tail over the 993 any day...

Benny
for me it goes

1.whale tale 80's one
but still awsome sighting.
dukenukem
i think am over pampered. ... anything below a 996 turbo is normal sightings tard.gif

but old school porsches from 80s rox!
PAULIE_D
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 12 2005, 08:10 PM)
It's not aftermarket, it's stock on '94-'96 993s. It's called the Basket Handle by enthusiasts.

Some 964s had a near-identical piece. Personally, I like it...moreso on red 911s though.

Really? Wow. I still dislike it though.
clarkma5
Yeah, it was how porsche first designed it so they could have a center brake light.

They later put the third brake light in the rear wing for when the wing is up, and then had a second third (fourth?) brake light under the rear window for when the wing is down ( la 996/997)
PAULIE_D
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 13 2005, 02:03 AM)
Yeah, it was how porsche first designed it so they could have a center brake light.

They later put the third brake light in the rear wing for when the wing is up, and then had a second third (fourth?) brake light under the rear window for when the wing is down ( la 996/997)

Ah... now it makes sense.

It was just a temporary fix with the design of the car to solve the mandatory 3rd barake light requirement.
clarkma5
precisely
hgh
I like the 997 the most of all 911's. Its a perfect combination between new and old design. It is truly amazing!
Renesis
QUOTE(Fiend @ Jan 12 2005, 07:44 PM)
i didnt think it was. i thought it was for when the hidden spoiler comes up you're still able to see a brake light.

Nope, it's not stock
leif
the guy should replace the "turbo" center hub in the wheel, unless it is a turbo model with the spoiler and name plate delete...

do all 993's have dual exaust...i thought it was still single...maybe this is an incognito turbo...before i saw the back i thought it was a C2S...cuz it had wider fenders...anyone know if porsche made an incognito turbo...i know they did in the 80's when ppl in europe were vandalizing real turbos in responce to the market crash
clarkma5
It's not a turbo, it's a Carrera with Turbo wheels. All 993s have dual exhaust (the last 911s with single outlets were the 964s).

There was no way from the factory to get a Turbo to look like a Carrera...I mean, the Turbo had a different front airdam, the whale tail, the turbo script, etc...I think the Turbo also had fatter wheel arches. You couldn't put a Carrera rear spoiler on a turbo without getting rid of the intercooler...that's why the whale tail is there, to make room for the intercoolers.
Jordan
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 13 2005, 03:08 PM)
You couldn't put a Carrera rear spoiler on a turbo without getting rid of the intercooler...that's why the whale tail is there, to make room for the intercoolers.

Yeah, it frees up a lot of space under there without it looking so big. There is all that "triangle" shaped space that is opened up with the whale tales. The 996 is even better hidden, but not as agressive as the whales.

There is a Turbo I've been seeing as of late, just to satisfy Clarkma I'll take some pics... maybe go meet the guy and have him open up the boot for me. I think its a guy... or maybe a really good looking woman? A woman who loves Porsches as much as me? One could only wish... rolleyes.gif
leif
in the 80's there was a factory delete of the spoiler...making the car look like a turbo bodied carrera...infact you used to be able to order a 911 with 912 emblems...to avoid reprisal from the working man

im not sure what they did with the intercooler...
Jordan
I have so much to learn...
clarkma5
QUOTE(Fiend @ Jan 13 2005, 04:29 PM)
Yeah, it frees up a lot of space under there without it looking so big. There is all that "triangle" shaped space that is opened up with the whale tales. The 996 is even better hidden, but not as agressive as the whales.

Actually, the 996 has its intercoolers mounted on the sides, under the rear fenders...the side scoops behind the cut of the front doors draws air in, and intercooler air exits out of the little grills at the bottom corners of the bumper...therefore, no whaletail needed.
Jordan
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 13 2005, 04:17 PM)
Actually, the 996 has its intercoolers mounted on the sides, under the rear fenders...the side scoops behind the cut of the front doors draws air in, and intercooler air exits out of the little grills at the bottom corners of the bumper...therefore, no whaletail needed.

That'd explain it.

Is that why the whale tail died? Replacment with better efficiency. Sounds cool to me.
clarkma5
It had to do with the switch from air-air intercooling to air-water intercooling, which meant it was inefficient to place the intercoolers on top of the engine (as in the air cooled cars), so they were moved and the whale tail was no longer needed.
Jordan
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 13 2005, 05:46 PM)
It had to do with the switch from air-air intercooling to air-water intercooling, which meant it was inefficient to place the intercoolers on top of the engine (as in the air cooled cars), so they were moved and the whale tail was no longer needed.

Again, that'd make sense. Thats for all this man. thumbs_up.gif smile.gif
Phix
Wow, clarkma. How'd you become so knowledgable and all such things like this?
clarkma5
QUOTE(Phix @ Jan 13 2005, 09:14 PM)
Wow, clarkma. How'd you become so knowledgable and all such things like this?

Many years of attentive acquisition of porsche info.

I know Porsches, damnit. Having 18 years of "Excellence Magazine" back issues will do that to a guy.
Jordan
I love that magazine. I love Porsches too, but I can see I have a lot to learn before I can say I know them. I admire your knowledge.
leif
clarkman...you should try to find "GT Purely Porsche" It is way better than Excellence...mainly because they take more of a top gear "how does it feel" attitude towards everything...also they often drive the stuff we dont see in NA...Like all of the CS models and stuff...

plus the first 50 pages are not dedicated to adverts...dont get me wrong i love Excellence...but GT is better

(if you get GT already...read the letter of the month for july [or maybe june] im still waiting for my subscription)
clarkma5
I've never heard of GT Purely Porsche.

And I really like the way excellence deals with ads...they don't put them in the middle of stories, and there are very few that are in-between stories. It's also fun to look through the ad section because there's some cool stuff in there.

The problem with the top gear "how does it feel" approach to writing is that it comes down to opinion...I've found I prefer different feel in a car than most journalists I've read. I rather like how Excellence rides the line pretty well between the cold hard facts, the history, and the car itself. I've always found that I get a really good impression of the car from reading their articles. Not to mention the organization, layout, and photography in Excellence is consistently top notch.

With all that said, though, I'll keep my eye out for GT Purely Porsche and snag a copy should I find it.
DakianDelomast
Personally any car magazine based on one make and titled Excellence....
clarkma5
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Jan 16 2005, 08:43 PM)
Personally any car magazine based on one make and titled Excellence....

If you're about to say "will be unbalanced", I find them to be pretty fair. They do favor porsche in some ways, but when they test drive new cars they're not afraid to say that something is stupid.

And I read their Boxster vs. Z4 comparo back when the Z4 was first coming out, and though the boxster won (which I think many of us can agree was the proper thing to say), they really gave the Z4 its due when it deserved it, while being quick to point out the Boxster's flaws (particularly the relative sluggishness of the 2.7 liter engine compared to the 3.0 liter in the Bimmer)
leif
check out the site if yer interested

Purely Porsche
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.