Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caterham 21 Super Sport
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
Windshield
After 21 years of producing the Seven, the boss of Caterham, Graham Nearn decided that the company was ready to build a new car from scratch. It was not intended to be a replacement for the classic, two-seater fun car, but something a little more modern and forgiving. Physically the car was not much larger than the Seven, retaining the same wheelbase so that the suspension components could be transferred right over. Designer Ian Robertson was contracted to create the new body.

Powered by the multi-valve Vauxhall 2-litre engine or Rover's K-series, performance was mind-blowingly strong, with 0-60 coming up in four seconds from the Vauxhall unit.

Although the prototype was finished in polished aluminum, production cars - built at a rate of no more than 250 a year - used fiberglass, and were offered in fully built-up and component forms, just like the original Seven.

Stats:
Engine: Four-cylinder, 1998cc
Power: 138 bhp
Weight: 650 kg
Top Speed: 138 mph
Acceleration: 0-60 in 4 seconds
DakianDelomast
Lotus Elan anyone?
clarkma5
Any tiny sports car that's built in small numbers is automatically cool or frozen.

Subzero.
dukenukem
finally a real car from Catherham and nothing too fancy thumbs_up.gif cool
zenon
With looks like that it needs a lot more power than 138bhp. I'd vote for cool - maybe even frozen - if it had 200+ horsepower.
Mellender17
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Dec 21 2004, 01:23 PM)
finally a real car from Catherham

Ahhhh screw you wink.gif Teh frozeneness.
Also, wasn't it called the Caterham 21 or something? I don't remember it being called the 'Super Sport.'
marcos_eirik
Yes its as frozen as liquid nitrogen... And I believe you got the wrong name, the correct one is Caterham 21...

Its first when you stanf beside one you see how small it is. Really, it's just a Caterham 7 with a proper body...
PAULIE_D
QUOTE(zenon @ Dec 21 2004, 08:58 PM)
With looks like that it needs a lot more power than 138bhp. I'd vote for cool - maybe even frozen - if it had 200+ horsepower.

It's all about the power to weight ratio, dude. Check out it's ultra-low curb weight of only 650 kg!

I have a hardon for this car. Probably just as fun as a Caterham 7 but much more practical.
Ultra_Kool_Dude
Looks like a British Viper viperbond.gif thumbs_up.gif
Renesis
fisrt time I see that, it's hawt!
marcos_eirik
Here is what "CAR" wrote about it:

Caterham 21
Fiberglass body on a 7? Great idea, but along came the Elise.

What is it? Lanunched in 1996, a modified 7 with a fiberglass body, a boot, better aerodynamics and chrash protection, and a hood you can just about see out of.

What is it like to drive? Pretty much like the 7, though back-to-back you'd feel the extra 100 kg. But ultra-direct and hardcore by any other standards.

What's the appeal? Meant to be a Caterham you could use as a GT. Neat retro sports car looks, too.

Why the flop? Two words: Lotus Elise, launched at the same time.

Any special features? Suzuki Cappucchino front indicators. Any thing else looked big and silly on this incredibly small car...

Can I get one? Yup. Production stopped after about 50 roadcars or so, but they're out there...

They also made a coupe for racing:

OMG t3h s1d3p1p35... woot.gif
zenon
QUOTE(PAULIE_D @ Dec 22 2004, 08:01 PM)
It's all about the power to weight ratio, dude. Check out it's ultra-low curb weight of only 650 kg!

I have a hardon for this car. Probably just as fun as a Caterham 7 but much more practical.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be better if it had 200+ horsepower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.