Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You've never seen a motor so big
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
fiber optic
This engine is unreal! eek.gif
RedLine
Yeah, it's cool. I wonder how much diesel it eats up a second.
RedLine
QUOTE(CarZOne @ Aug 31 2003, 07:41 PM)

1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour.
cerberus
eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif Holy Shit thats just insane!!
Easton
Wow...

I've seen some of those pictures before but i was 100% SURE they were only photoshop's!!!!

Bloody hell that thing is huge... reckon that thing would fit in my lil integra? tongue.gif
fiber optic
QUOTE(CarZOne @ Aug 31 2003, 10:41 PM)

Almost a half gallon per second. And I think Easton's Integra would fit inside of it rather than the reverse!
clarkma5
That's ridiculous! What's the point; to make the mississippi flow upstream!?
Cyclone
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Aug 31 2003, 11:58 PM)
Almost a half gallon per second. And I think Easton's Integra would fit inside of it rather than the reverse!

Dude you could fit multiple integra's in that! Damn, imagine the torque that engine has. I know Clarkma is a bit of a torque whore by reading some of his posts. Maybe this will make him happy!
clarkma5
NEVER ENOUGH TORQUE! tongue.gif
fiber optic
Not only does it make good torque its all down low in the RPM range where it counts, 102RPM! eek.gif
clarkma5
I imagine that's its redline, or near its redline, considering that's where the Horsepower peak is as well.
cerberus
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Sep 1 2003, 02:34 AM)
[snip] imagine the torque that engine has [/snip]

Maximum power:
108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque:
5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm eek.gif
Cyclone
QUOTE(cerberus @ Sep 1 2003, 03:15 PM)
Maximum power:
108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque:
5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm eek.gif

O_O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy shit!
Lee7
imagine how big the turbos are. eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif
fiber optic
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 1 2003, 02:12 PM)
I imagine that's its redline, or near its redline, considering that's where the Horsepower peak is as well.

Yeah but 102RPM isn't much. Even my truck idles at 600.
bankE46
imagine the centripidal force exerted on such massive pistons even at 102 RPM. much faster and i bet it would rip itself apart and drop a connecting rod a 1/4 mile til it landed, lol tongue.gif
Lee7
QUOTE(bankieWRX @ Sep 2 2003, 12:28 AM)
imagine the centripidal force exerted on such massive pistons even at 102 RPM. much faster and i bet it would rip itself apart and drop a connecting rod a 1/4 mile til it landed, lol tongue.gif

well, i did a little calculation and if the rod to stroke ratio was 1.73:1 (general estimate, most cars have between a 1.5:1 and 2:1 ratio), the max piston acceleration @ 1000rpm would be 57673.39 ft/sec, and at 102rpm it would be 5882.646 ft/sec, which comes out to 4002.55mph

something weighing that much, and flying that fast would probably go alot higher than 1/4mile into the air. wink.gif
5LiterMustang
whats the power to weight ratio?
fallon
102,000 hp? pff weak tongue.gif
Lee7
QUOTE(5LiterMustang @ Sep 2 2003, 02:02 AM)
whats the power to weight ratio?

well, assuming the weight they list on the site is in metric tons, it would be 0.0214hp per pound, very crappy. But this is because HP = (Torque x RPM)/5,252. Since the engines max RPM is like 102rpm, its no wonder why its HP is so low.

Its torque to weight ratio is 11:1, which is like... super super super efficient.
Easton
Cool... now all the boat needs is some nawwwzz laugh.gif
DiabloGTR695
QUOTE(Easton @ Sep 1 2003, 08:44 PM)
Cool... now all the boat needs is some nawwwzz laugh.gif

lol noooooooo not another car for fast and furious. die.gif
clarkma5
Dang it, I've forgotten what movie that Keanu Reeves says that in.
Easton
lol you got me picturing a big tug boat with stickers now.
clarkma5
But this is because HP = (Torque x RPM)/5,252.

Now wait a sec...I tried doing some math, and I couldn't figure out how this works. Obviously the "RPM" number is neither redline nor the torque peak, because neither number gives the peak horsepower number...is this little formula something that's supposed to give the HP at any given RPM, as long as you know what the torque is at that point? Because that would make more sense.
MenaceAG
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Sep 1 2003, 11:10 AM)
Not only does it make good torque its all down low in the RPM range where it counts, 102RPM! eek.gif

i don't think i would want all of that mass to be going faster than 102rpm... if it did go faster than that the results would be a rather interesting sight...
Lee7
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 2 2003, 05:19 AM)
this little formula is something that's supposed to give the HP at any given RPM, as long as you know what the torque is at that point.

biggrin.gif
clarkma5
Cool stuff. Does it work with turbocharged engines too??? (I assume it does)
bankE46
omg, imagine that engine with a turbo? or two? or go bugatti style and have four? and a supercharger cause it doesnt rev too high... thatd be nuts. turbos operating at like 1000psi, laugh.gif throw in some NOS and youd be all set. could throw that baby on... whatever it would fit on, maybe like the titanic, and set it at a ramp, and launch into space.
clarkma5
It would run aground at full speed and it wouldn't stop until it hit Kansas tongue.gif
bankE46
i think it would be evenly distributed among all of the west coast if it ran aground laugh.gif
clarkma5
You mean it would disintergrate? Sounds incredibly likely with that much power. It might even shove San Francisco several feet closer to Reno laugh.gif
bankE46
ah, who needs san fran anyway? it would just be a big long ditch that reeked of diesel
clarkma5
Hey, San Fran's not so bad. Lots of concerts up there, and good restaurants too. Just avoid the Castro district!
RedLine
I used to have these video's and pictures of a really small motor that worked. It was cool, it was so small, and sounded like a Coffee Pot.
clarkma5
How small? Like, the size of one's thumb or something?
bankE46
have you ever seen the replicas of like vipers that this one guy makes? theyre like 3-4 feet long, and run and exact replicas... they sell for about $30k, lol
RedLine
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 2 2003, 01:43 PM)
How small? Like, the size of one's thumb or something?

About 1 foot long and 1 foot wide.
clarkma5
They make model airplane motors that displace only .18 CCs...now those are tiny.
bankE46
its like the motor in my nitro RC porshce 996! that thing rules, its a one cylinder with a glow plug, and it tops out at like 35mph, AWD. sweet stuff. i can beat a stock golf/jetta in a drag race to 35 laugh.gif
clarkma5
Wouldn't doubt it...talk about power:weight ratio!
Cyclone
QUOTE(bankieWRX @ Sep 2 2003, 05:58 PM)
its like the motor in my nitro RC porshce 996! that thing rules, its a one cylinder with a glow plug, and it tops out at like 35mph, AWD. sweet stuff. i can beat a stock golf/jetta in a drag race to 35 laugh.gif

If your r/c is 1:10 scale then its doing the equivilant of 350mph for a 1:1 scale car. Woo, you're already breaking speed records!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.