Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 968 (excluding turbo models)
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
clarkma5
The 968 (introduced in 1991 as a 1992 model, and available through 1995) was basically a major freshening of the Porsche 944. It still sported a large-bore slant inline-4, mounted longitudinally and connected to a rear transaxle (by mounting the transmission in the back, the 924/928/944/968 cars acheived fantastic weight balance for their front-engined layouts), except the engine was now boasting a massive 3.0 liters of displacement (up from 2.5 in the original 944, although basically the same block as the 3.0 liter 944 S2) which, combined with the first iteration of porsche's "Variocam" variable valve timing, allowed the 968 to produce 240 HP and 225 ft-lbs. of torque, which meant a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds and a top speed of 156 MPH.

Not only that, but the 968 was the first production naturally aspirated engine to produce more than 75 ft.-lbs. of torque per liter (225/2990 CCs = 75.25 ft-lbs. per liter) Also new for the 968 was the 6-speed manual transmission; a first for Porsche (outside of the 959) that wouldn't make it into the 911 range until the introduction of the 993 model two years later.

The 968 was available as a coupe or a convertible with either a 6-speed or a 4-speed tiptronic with a standard (read: huge) amount of porsche options to choose from. There were also various Clubsport, Turbo, Turbo S, and Turbo RS models made in low quantities that never made it to North America. The 968 was basically killed by a sour economy and its relatively high price of $40k in '95, which was seen as too much for a 4-cylinder car, especially when Dodge Stealths could be had for significantly less and had similar performance numbers. Still, the 968 was one of my favorite porsches, and judging by how well they hold their value in the second-hand market, I imagine I'm not the only one.

So, is the Porsche 968 cool, or not? (note: good pictures are hard to find)

White RSX
Its cool because its ugly and un-Porsche.
fallon
its cool beacause they were badass enough to use an inline 4 with 3 massive litres of displacement per cylinder
clarkma5
QUOTE(FaLLoN @ Aug 9 2004, 12:08 PM)
its cool beacause they were badass enough to use an inline 4 with 3 massive litres of displacement per cylinder

3 liters of displacement per cylinder would make it a 12 liter inline-4, FaLLoN tongue.gif
fallon
haha, well you know what i mean tongue.gif
Black RSX
I would say uncool... just cause it really does not "do it" for me...

I love Porsches... but not this or the 944... (but I do like the 928 for some odd reason...)
Dario
The original 944 was cooler, this looks more like a barbie-mobile...
NorthPoint
MJ Uncool... a desperate attempt to extend the life of the 944 and an awful design as well...

The 944 was great however, but that wasn't the question... wink.gif
Cyclone
The 968 has a lot of things going for it but I just dont like the design of it. Its too....girly to me. Plus I didnt like the popup headlights it had nor did I like the 928
PAULIE_D
Check out the yellow car in the 4th pic. smile.gif
LoudPipe
Coolest front engine Porsche. Especially the Club Sport model. Too bad it never really took off sad.gif
maxim
its cool, I love the way it looks
Mr b00st
it will never look cool with an s-cargo sitting next to it!
Renesis
wasn't this the slow ass porsche that I remeber reading reviews saying that a Corrado VR6 was faster and handled better?

thumbs_down.gif
clarkma5
QUOTE(Renesis @ Aug 15 2004, 11:42 AM)
wasn't this the slow ass porsche that I remeber reading reviews saying that a Corrado VR6 was faster and handled better?

thumbs_down.gif

Corrado VR6 definitely isn't faster, as for the handling, I'm not so sure...the 968 handled extremely well, but so did the Corrado...dunno what was better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.