Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VW Golf R32
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
clarkma5
This is the factory one-off that dreams are made of, or at least I think it is. A stunningly sexy exhaust note, great handling, a beautiful bevy of interior improvements, an aggressive but subtle set of body mods...VW hit the nail on the head with this hot hatch IMO, and I think it's Ice Cold.

For those who dunno the specs:

3.2 liter VR6, 240 HP, 236 ft-lbs. of torque
6-speed manual transmission (6 speed DSG optional in non-north american markets)
"4motion" all-wheel drive
0-60 in about 6.2 seconds (give or take a couple tenths)
155 MPH top speed
1/4 mile in high 13s - low 14s @ 100+ MPH
18x7.5 inch OZ Racing wheels with 225/40ZR18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s

DROP DEAD SEXY ALL AROUND! tongue.gif

fallon
its fast and its sexy for a decent price, how much cooler can it get?
b0mb3r
I say uncool, for the money you can get an STi or EVO. 'nuff said.
clarkma5
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Aug 5 2004, 08:57 PM)
I say uncool, for the money you can get an STi or EVO. 'nuff said.

You have successfully missed the point of this car, like so many other people, but you're entitled to your opinion.
PBB
If it were 600 lbs lighter, had 300+ horsepower and wasn't marked up like other limited edition German cars, I would have considered it over a STi.

Cool. smile.gif
clarkma5
600 pounds lighter!? The STi weighs 3298 pounds, PBB, which is almost exactly the same as the R32!*

*Just to put everything in perspective for ya
dukenukem
itsa real good car but i am not sure if its the best in class rolleyes.gif but it is really cool
Windshield
An Audi S3 is Ice Cold, A Volkswagen R32 is cooler than an Audi S3.
PBB
I know, but the STi is a sedan with 87.6 cubic feet interior volume and acommodation for four adults.
The R32 has a commendable 85.0 cubic feet interior volume but seats 4 only in discomfort and 3400 pounds is MASSIVE for a 2 door hatch.

QUOTE("RoadAndTrack')
In the world of $30,000 awd imports, the Evo and WRX STi rule the roost. For all-out performance, they're tough to beat. For daily driving, however, their peaky power delivery and harsh ride quality could never be considered refined. Despite being outpaced at the track, the R32 still wins fans with its enticing combination of speed, comfort and build quality.

R&T R32 Spec Sheet
R&T STi and EVO Spec Sheet
clarkma5
My brother has an impreza and I have a GTI, and I can tell you they're about the same in the back seat...if anything the GTI's nicer because the front seats pop forward, so rear seat passengers can get comfy before they're "locked in" by the front seats...the impreza doesn't have that luxury; you have to squeeze in and, at least for somebody like myself, who has large feet, that is an uncomfortable and ungraceful procedure

And it should also be noticed that, while the STi has lots of hard plastic in the inside, the R32 has tons of soft touch plastics and beautiful REAL aluminum trim. Yeah, the R32's 3400 pounds, and that's a lot, but at least you can see where that weight comes from...it's got leather and aluminum and a monsoon stereo and a sunroof and automatic climate control and heated seats and a bunch of stuff like that, all standard. The STi has, what, seats? An engine? And it only weighs a hundred pounds less than the Golf? I wouldn't be so quick to call the R32 fat and the STi trim at that point.

And, after all, the R32 and STi appeal to different crowds. For the same cost, the R32 trades straight-line speed for comfort, and but it should be noticeable that the R32 is at least in the same ballpark as the STi and Evo in every measurable performance category outside of 0-60...top speed, lateral grip, midrange pulling times, braking distances, etc., etc....the end result is than an R32 gives several times more comfort and luxury than the Evo and STi while giving 90% of the performance for the same price!
Windshield
With a production run of 5000 in the entire U.S., the R32 is more exclusive than the EVO or STi.
(In the U.S. at least.)
PBB
And a very cool feature I found while researching interior volumes:

The R32 has 14.0 cubic feet of "truck space" until you fold down the back seats. Doing this rewards you with a station wagon rivalling 38.8 ft² of room.
The Audi Allroad has 36.4ft² of cargo space with the seats up.

thumbs_up.gif
clarkma5
Heh, I just experienced that personally on my camping trip (although FWD Golfs have 18 cu. ft. trunks and ~42 cu. ft. cargo areas, due to a lower load floor, because there's no rear diff on a FWD car)
PBB
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 6 2004, 12:36 AM)
And, after all, the R32 and STi appeal to different crowds. For the same cost, the R32 trades straight-line speed for comfort, and but it should be noticeable that the R32 is at least in the same ballpark as the STi and Evo in every measurable performance category outside of 0-60...top speed, lateral grip, midrange pulling times, braking distances, etc., etc....the end result is than an R32 gives several times more comfort and luxury than the Evo and STi while giving 90% of the performance for the same price!

Absolutely! thumbs_up.gif

I'm not trying to say the STi is the all around "better" car. In some ways it is, it some ways, like the interior, it's quite lacking. But since I don't want heated leather seats, sunroofs, automatic climate controls, expensive factory stereos, etc., the STi suits me a lot better.

And guess it's just my own intuitive reasoning that such a small looking car like the Golfs could weigh so much. It's quite surprising how similar the R32 is in size to the STi. The wheelbase on the STi is only 0.9 inches longer than the R32's. (99.1" vs. 100.0")

On a tangent,
Earlier I was talking to a babe from work on AIM and I sent her a pic of the STi.
"Oh that's a cute car! I want one! biggrin.gif"
She drives a Neon.
sad.gif head.gif
nismo
God those cars are pieces of shit. Why would one waNt such a crappy car?

Just kidding tongue.gif
RedLine
It's perfect in my opinion, but it could lose some weight. I don't know the exact weight of a GTi and a R32, Clarkma, please tell me.
PBB
Can't I? sad.gif

GTi VR6: 3,036 pounds
GTi 1.8T: 2,934 pounds
R32: 3,409 pounds
tongue.gif
fallon
no you cant! erase that Imediately!
b0mb3r
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 5 2004, 09:04 PM)
You have successfully missed the point of this car, like so many other people, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Is not this car supposed to be marketed to compete against Evos and STi? or the R32 now consider itself sporty luxury car? This car is exactly why I hate new VWs now. My Golf is simple, cheap and fun to drive. Now the VWs have gotten more sophisticated and more expensive, while they were supposed to be cheap and good transportation! Who is VW trying to compete with now? Their own company Audi? Am I wrong on this?
clarkma5
It's true that the Golf has changed its focus from simpleness to entry-level luxury, but I personally love it where it is now...it's comfortable and luxurious but still not complex. Granted, I would love the R32 twice as much if it didn't have sunroof and climatronic and heated seats standard...but power windows, door locks, keyless entry, those are all nice things to have in the real world. You can dream all day about having a stripped out back-to-basics car, but then you gotta start driving it to work or whatever and you think "damn I wish I had a CD player and A/C."

VW makes cars for the real world, and they do it extremely well IMO.

And the R32 was built to compete with cars like the Focus RS, Megane 225 and stuff like that...the R32 has no direct competition in the united states, it is a niche in and of itself and I'm sick and tired of having it compared to the STi and Evo because the R32 is completely different from those cars.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 6 2004, 10:05 AM)
And the R32 was built to compete with cars like the Focus RS, Megane 225 and stuff like that...the R32 has no direct competition in the united states, it is a niche in and of itself and I'm sick and tired of having it compared to the STi and Evo because the R32 is completely different from those cars.

Well unfortunate for the R32 it costs just as much as the STi sad.gif.
Mr b00st
ice cold. Love the R32, like it better than STi and EVO actually.
Zlover07
Their gorgeous, refined and yet powerful at the same time, especially with its NA engine. The R32 actually is quicker in mid-range gear pulls than the EVO or STi, and it matches them in the twisties. O yah, and by gorgeous I meant down right freaking stunning.

O and Clarkma, that quicktime movie was sweet, thumbs_up.gif
fiber optic
A Volkswagen built after '67 that catches my interest can only be Ice Cold.
Mr b00st
boy does THAT sound good.
stig259
LOVE IT! woot.gif the best golf ever.
Pilmo
dang..
that sounds great...
and is nice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.