Full Version: Ford Focus SVT
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Cool
clarkma5
- 2-door or 4-door hatch
- 170 HP, 2.0 liter engine
- 6-speed manual transmission
- 17-inch wheels with low-profile performance rubber
- 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds

Sure, you could break down the SVT focus into bullet form like that, but you'd be missing the point. This isn't a numbers car, this isn't a features car, this isn't an image car, it's a drivers car.

The styling is delectably sharp (I don't care what anyone says about the Focus, it looks great, in hatch form especially) and there is a wonderful balance of speed, comfort, and economy in this car...it gets more done with less, so even for under $20k, it offers lots to anyone who drives it, especially in that special intangible category that is so hard to find at any price, nevermind $20k and below.

Americans who feel like they've been shorted the RS shouldn't overlook the SVT because it's "inferior"...less power and no crazy diff means the SVT is more fun and more usable day in and day out than the RS ever will be, and it's also a lot cheaper and something that, at the end of the day, takes a true enthusiast to appreciate. This car is ice cold to me.

That's all I can really say about this car; I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking for me smile.gif

gotvenm
I think its Ice Cold as well, but the interior is just as lacking as the Cobra's.
clarkma5
The Focus interior is a lot bigger and not as awkward as the Mustang's; the dash is a lot more modern and less intrusive, too. Not the greatest interior on the face of the planet, but it gets the job done.
fallon
i love the two tone seats, especially with blue inserts. They're pretty quick cars, i was a passenger in one while my friend was test driving.

i'll reserve the ice cold for the RS however so this gets a solid Cool

(good bang for the buck too, high teens when new)
DakianDelomast
RS exists and we have to settle for this car. I'm leaning towards uncool.
5LiterMustang
I think its cool.

If i just graduated college and i was in the market for a NEW car that i could pay for entirely by myself, this would probably be it.
mogulmonster
I was really close to buying one of these last February. They are incredibly fun to drive, and the car is very driver focused. I say Ice Cold.
høgh
Ice cold!

Btw, RJ uncool? huh.gif
Mr b00st
it's cool. Not so much in 5 door form, though. eww.
clarkma5
QUOTE(bitrix @ Aug 2 2004, 06:46 AM)
Ice cold!

Btw, RJ uncool? huh.gif

It started out as "Michael Jackson Uncool" which got abbreviated to "MJ Uncool" which got changed to "RJ Uncool" because it's similar. (RJ 21 is the username of one of the worst DSers we've ever had...fortunately, he doesn't post much anymore.)
White RSX
You're welcome.
clarkma5
I did my fair share too, I think.

If I may vent at board politics for a sec, I'm still kinda annoyed that Mix jumped in and said "no, don't ban him, he didn't do anything wrong!" which was sorta true, but I mean, if one user comes in and stirs up so much shit, I don't care how he does it, just ban him already!

There, I said it...that's been on my mind for awhile.
høgh
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 2 2004, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE(bitrix @ Aug 2 2004, 06:46 AM)
Ice cold!

Btw, RJ uncool? huh.gif

It started out as "Michael Jackson Uncool" which got abbreviated to "MJ Uncool" which got changed to "RJ Uncool" because it's similar. (RJ 21 is the username of one of the worst DSers we've ever had...fortunately, he doesn't post much anymore.)

Thanks, thought it might be him since he wasn't to popular in here.
White RSX
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 2 2004, 07:26 AM)
I did my fair share too, I think.

If I may vent at board politics for a sec, I'm still kinda annoyed that Mix jumped in and said "no, don't ban him, he didn't do anything wrong!" which was sorta true, but I mean, if one user comes in and stirs up so much shit, I don't care how he does it, just ban him already!

There, I said it...that's been on my mind for awhile.

You know he'll be back right? Good thing he never comes to The Cool Wall though, so we can talk about him. laugh.gif
RedLine
It was super cool untill my Cabriolet w/ 2.0l 16v beat one. Uncool.
5LiterMustang
QUOTE(RedLine @ Aug 2 2004, 12:25 PM)
It was super cool untill my Cabriolet w/ 2.0l 16v beat one. Uncool.

that doesn't mean your car is faster. that means the driver couldn't drive for shit.
RedLine
QUOTE(5LiterMustang @ Aug 2 2004, 12:29 PM)
that doesn't mean your car is faster. that means the driver couldn't drive for shit.

I agree, something was wrong, but you can't be that bad of a driver. I only say this because the driver was an asshole and lost. Its funny. I though I was going to get killed which suprised me.
Black RSX
They look fun to drive.

They are not too bad looking on the outside.

But the interior... sick.gif Just a Ford in there...

It is almost cool... but I would have to say uncool...
Zlover07
Being a Focus owner, I'm a little biased, but Clarkma hit the description right on. It's not a numbers car, it doesn't glow on a stat sheet, but it is a superb drivers car. Very well balanced, incredibly nimbe and decently quick and just a joy to push through the 6spd gear box. Also, they are not that many of them around (I wouldn't quite call them rare though) and when you order them with the European Appearence package, they're down right stunning. Too bad this is the last year of production, though. (It's being replaced by a new Focus from a different performance division of Ford, or one that SVT merged with, I don't remember.)
O yah, it's definitely Ice Cold.

I love those wheels, if I ever get new ones those are the ones that I'll be getting. 17in, 20.3lbs, $125 each on tirerack
dukenukem
QUOTE(DakianDelomast @ Aug 2 2004, 02:25 AM)
RS exists and we have to settle for this car. I'm leaning towards uncool.

my thoughts exactly
fiber optic
I wish they mad a sedan version. I don't like the hatch.
clarkma5
Man, how did this thing go from unanimously cool/ice cold to uncool? sad.gif
5LiterMustang
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Aug 2 2004, 04:34 PM)
Man, how did this thing go from unanimously cool/ice cold to uncool? sad.gif

dont you hate when Democracy bites you in the ass

its happened to the best of us tongue.gif

(i thought this car was cool though)
macadams
just cool. I prefer the RS.
salvation
I think that the SVT is trying a bit too hard, when you compare it to the understated ST170

moe
Cool and uncool are equal now...I think we need another vote.
z0ne
Last year, a senior at my HS had one in black with some nice looking 5-spoke rims. It was quick, but, he didn't know how to drive it all to well.
Phix
RJ Uncool.

This doesn't do anything for me.
moe
Damn you Phix! I'm revoking your brown rights.
Cyclone
I can't vote since I voted a long time ago. I always loved the SVT with the European package.
fiber optic
QUOTE(Cyclone @ May 14 2006, 05:11 PM) *
I can't vote since I voted a long time ago. I always loved the SVT with the European package.

What's in the European package? Does it get those turbine style wheels?
Mitlov
Despite the godawful aesthetics (inside and out), I give it a "cool" for being an affordable, driver-oriented-yet-practical hatchback.
moe
QUOTE(Mitlov @ May 15 2006, 09:50 AM) *
Despite the godawful aesthetics (inside and out), I give it a "cool" for being an affordable, driver-oriented-yet-practical hatchback.

I don't mind the outside...it's a Focus, which is a pretty sharp looking hatch. The inside needs help though. Btw, it's cool now thumbs_up.gif
moe
QUOTE(salvation @ May 14 2006, 03:22 PM) *
I think that the SVT is trying a bit too hard, when you compare it to the understated ST170

I think the ST is too understated. The SVT is the right balance between understated and aggressive.
clarkma5
QUOTE(fiber optic @ May 14 2006, 06:27 PM) *
What's in the European package? Does it get those turbine style wheels?

The euro appearance package came in different colors than the normal focus (yellow, orange, and black instead of red and blue) and had the anthracite 15-spoke wheels instead of the silver 5-spokers.

leif
I have to say uncool...because I know they could have done better. The RS proved that.

This is a toned down verion...I will never understand why Europe gets all the new and fast cars, while north america gets the nutered sterile versions.
Cyclone
QUOTE(leif @ May 15 2006, 08:50 PM) *
I have to say uncool...because I know they could have done better. The RS proved that.

This is a toned down verion...I will never understand why Europe gets all the new and fast cars, while north america gets the nutered sterile versions.

They don't want us stupid fat American's driving their European beauties. That and our standards are much lower than Europeans as far as the quality of cars and such.
moe
I think you guys should consider yourselves lucky that you even got the SVT. There are some markets (such as the Middle East) that didn't get the SVT, ST, nor the RS. Quite frankly, I'm getting bored of hearing about all the cars you don't get. In terms of budget, fun cars, there's little to choose from here.
leif
when you pay more than $1.00 for 27 gallons of fuel then you can complain...until then you will have pitty for us! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.