Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GMC Typhoon / Syclone
Dieselstation Car Forums > The Cool Wall > Legacy Cool Wall > Frozen
PAULIE_D
The GMC Syclone was a high-performance version of the GMC Sonoma pickup truck. Produced in 1991, the Syclone spawned the similarly powered 1992-1993 GMC Typhoon SUV, a high-performance version of the GMC Jimmy SUV.

At the time it was introduced, the Syclone was the quickest stock pickup truck being produced in the world. Auto magazines compared its acceleration favorably to a variety of sports cars including the Corvette and - in a memorable comparison test in Car and Driver magazine - a Ferrari. Featuring a turbogcharged 6-cylinder engine, all wheel drive, and 4 wheel anti-lock brakes, the specifications had more in common with a Porsche than most other pickup trucks.

Syclone:

Typhoon:

Both the Syclone and Typhoon (SyTy) trucks featured a Mitsubishi TD06-17C 8 cm² turbocharger and Garrett water/air intercooler attached to a 4.3 L LB4 V6 engine with unique pistons, main caps, head gaskets, intake manifolds, fuel system, exhaust manifolds, and a throttle body from the 5.7 L GM Small-Block engine. All SyTy's had a 700R4 (4L60) 4-speed automatic transmission. A Borg Warner all wheel drive 1372/4472 transfer case split torque with 35% forward and 65% to the rear wheels. Both trucks featured upgraded brakes and sport modifications to the standard suspensions. The Syclone was the first production truck to receive a 4 wheel anti-lock braking system. Output was 280 hp (209 kW) and 360 ft.lbf (488 Nm). Syclones were capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in under 5 seconds and could do a quarter-mile run in about 13 seconds.
DakianDelomast
Oh is it just me or did it just get chilly in here biggrin.gif
nismo
Kick-ass. I think its gonna snow.
fallon
probably two of the coolest vehicles ever made. i would kill for a typhoon
5LiterMustang
definitely ice cold.

i dont think they came with manual transmissions though, but in this case, i'm letting it slide whistle.gif
2003specv
There's a guy around here who owns 2 Typhoons and a Cyclone. one Typhoon runs 10's, the Cylcone runs 11's and his wife has the other Typhoon. That one only runs 12's. smile.gif All on street tires. Yum!

Ice Cooooooold.
5LiterMustang
who the hell voted uncool?
Mr b00st
cool. not SVT lighting cool, but close.
clarkma5
What are the specs on these things? I can't claim I know them off the top of my head...
Mr b00st
280bhp, 385lb-ft. 4 speed automatic, AWD. 0-60 in 4.9 for Cyclone, 5.1s for typhoon.

A magazine did a performance comparison between a Cyclone and Ferrari 348TB. The only area where the Ferrari outperformed the Cyclone was top speed.
Diesel
i voted uncool cuz it was every redneck's wet dream. the whole GMC trucks from that era never did anything for me. even with all that power.
PBB
QUOTE(Diesel @ Jul 29 2004, 09:15 PM)
[E]very redneck's wet dream.

SO?!?!!!

tongue.gif
fallon
do rednecks even KNOW about these??
PBB
QUOTE(FaLLoN @ Jul 29 2004, 09:35 PM)
do rednecks even KNOW about these??

Yes, unfortunately, Diesel is quite correct in his accusation. dry.gif
clarkma5
I'm agreeing with diesel...no matter the power, it's a boxy early-90s GM. Uncool.
Cyclone
A small truck that pulls 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, definately sub zero. I don't exactly like the styling but the performance is great! Imagine the confusion on a ricers face as they get spanked by a TRUCK. This > SVT Lightning
Dylan
I say uncool. It's a truck and it's ugly. I do respect the performance though.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jul 29 2004, 11:21 PM)
A small truck that pulls 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, definately sub zero. I don't exactly like the styling but the performance is great! Imagine the confusion on a ricers face as they get spanked by a TRUCK. This > SVT Lightning

SVT lightning posts 5.4s 0-60 times and mid 13's in the quarter. The interior is far nicer and roomier. Fuel economy is similar.

But the big difference- SVT Lightning can do truck duty at the end of the day- 5,000 lb towing. Syclone/Typhoon are NOT RATED for towing.
fiber optic
If only for the sleeper factor. thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.