Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Curated Automotive Photography Techniques
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography
Brent B
Since no one is ever on the Technique subforum, I hope it's okay if I go ahead and post this here.

What this is is a collection of resources, tutorials, and inspirational work that has taught me a lot about automotive photography. A lot of the resources are from people in this very forum.
So check it out! Let me know if it's helpful to anyone at all.

Automotive Photography Techniques

Edit: I re-read what I wrote and realized that the way I put everything, it might seem to some that this is spam. So I'll go ahead and post the url and a screenshot for those of you who are suspicious. wink.gif
http://www.scoop.it/t/automotive-photography-techniques

Konrad Janicki
nice one wink.gif
Broda
Awesome! I'll surely be looking at these.
Brent B
QUOTE(Broda @ Feb 5 2014, 08:41 PM) *
Awesome! I'll surely be looking at these.

Let me know what you think! It initially started out as something for school, so I just threw a bunch of links together, but towards the end I realized the awesome potential this curation project had. smile.gif Hopefully others find it valuable as well.
Broda
I just lost about two hours of my life that i'm glad i won't get back.
So far seems really neat.
I clicked on one of your tweeted links and it panned over nicely to the post. Seems pretty slick. I'm totally not a site designer but it seems cool.
Thanks again, will be some great inspiration too.

Cheers,
Brent B
QUOTE(Broda @ Feb 11 2014, 03:26 AM) *
I just lost about two hours of my life that i'm glad i won't get back.
So far seems really neat.
I clicked on one of your tweeted links and it panned over nicely to the post. Seems pretty slick. I'm totally not a site designer but it seems cool.
Thanks again, will be some great inspiration too.

Cheers,

Sweet, dude! Glad to hear it.
Broda
On the gumpert video i have been looking for one of those... spare my ignorance lightsabres for shooting.. All i have is a smaller 5 LED light wand that I know i can use but would love to get something larger.

Ideas on where to find one of those Hand held florescent lights?

Sweet new stuff though. Thanks.
Brent B
QUOTE(Broda @ Mar 2 2014, 01:23 AM) *
On the gumpert video i have been looking for one of those... spare my ignorance lightsabres for shooting.. All i have is a smaller 5 LED light wand that I know i can use but would love to get something larger.

Ideas on where to find one of those Hand held florescent lights?

Sweet new stuff though. Thanks.

Yeah, that Gumpert video is excellent! A lot of people have been buying this LED video light on Amazon. However, when I used a similar LED light, I had two problems: 1) color temperature was too cool and 2) the individual bulbs were visible in the car's paint. Furthermore, I wanted to get a wider spread with each shot as well as get something that looked more like Frederic Schlosser's and Kai Dalibor's light painted work, so I went with this 4 foot fluorescent light. For the bulb, I got a "daylight" T8 and I power it via my Vagabond Mini. Haven't spent much time with it yet since I purchased it just before Christmas and it's only just now getting warmer outside. So far, I love the results.
Below is my first time working with this setup:

Hope that helps!
SC David
Thanks for the blog. Been checking it every week or so. Good resource!
Broda
QUOTE(Brent B @ Mar 8 2014, 09:29 PM) *
Yeah, that Gumpert video is excellent! A lot of people have been buying this LED video light on Amazon. However, when I used a similar LED light, I had two problems: 1) color temperature was too cool and 2) the individual bulbs were visible in the car's paint. Furthermore, I wanted to get a wider spread with each shot as well as get something that looked more like Frederic Schlosser's and Kai Dalibor's light painted work, so I went with this 4 foot fluorescent light. For the bulb, I got a "daylight" T8 and I power it via my Vagabond Mini. Haven't spent much time with it yet since I purchased it just before Christmas and it's only just now getting warmer outside. So far, I love the results.
Below is my first time working with this setup:

Hope that helps!

Ya thats cool i'll keep that in mind. The lighting looks great there! Thanks for the links.
fourcross
Wow! so many cool subjects to explore. Thanks for sharing and I really like how your site is build.
Brent B
QUOTE(SC David @ Mar 10 2014, 03:05 PM) *
Thanks for the blog. Been checking it every week or so. Good resource!

Good to hear! Thanks. smile.gif

QUOTE(Broda @ Mar 11 2014, 02:29 AM) *
Ya thats cool i'll keep that in mind. The lighting looks great there! Thanks for the links.

Yep, of course!

QUOTE(fourcross @ Mar 13 2014, 02:25 AM) *
Wow! so many cool subjects to explore. Thanks for sharing and I really like how your site is build.

Thanks! Yeah, Scoop.it is really useful for this sort of project. Perhaps I'll put together my own blog where it'll be more organized, I'll do my own write-ups for each shared link, etc etc.
SC David
Dang, lots of updates lately. Keep it up!
Brent B
QUOTE(SC David @ Mar 25 2014, 03:27 PM) *
Dang, lots of updates lately. Keep it up!

biggrin.gif It's getting harder and harder to find new, relevant material worth posting, but I found a lot of those behind the scenes videos from commercial photogs. Hopefully there's a lot more out there. Thanks for the feedback!
Broda
I'm not good with all the flash and lighting equipment really. Just wondering that Vagabond mini i guess it would just be a normal rechargeable battery that i can plug the tube into?

I'm curious, i know the thread isn't about this. But are lights usually quite different? as in, is there a huge difference between my 600 rt canon flash compared to a more stand alone product?
Just trying to learn some more of this stuff. Just curious if its more of how you use the lighting you have rather than it being specifically better or for something else.

Looking to get one of those florescent lights going here in the next couple weeks.
Brent B
QUOTE(Broda @ Apr 10 2014, 01:58 AM) *
I'm not good with all the flash and lighting equipment really. Just wondering that Vagabond mini i guess it would just be a normal rechargeable battery that i can plug the tube into?

I'm curious, i know the thread isn't about this. But are lights usually quite different? as in, is there a huge difference between my 600 rt canon flash compared to a more stand alone product?
Just trying to learn some more of this stuff. Just curious if its more of how you use the lighting you have rather than it being specifically better or for something else.

Looking to get one of those florescent lights going here in the next couple weeks.

I'm sure if you found a portable rechargeable battery with the proper plug, that could work. I like using the Vagabond Mini because it works for light painting as well as with my AB800.

From what I've experienced and read, the two biggest differences are power and recycle time. Additionally, speedlights are better for when you can't lug a huge light + battery around (unless you have a new Profoto B1). You can get essentially the same results with the 600 RT as you can with an Elinchrom or Profoto, but getting the same amount of power is the hardest part to get around--especially if you're shooting in broad daylight. Of course, I have to say that I have not personally worked with Elinchroms or Profotos, so I can't say anything about a difference in light quality.
MaTBoY
nice work man. Bookmarked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.