Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru goes up, and then comes down
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Bjorn
Subaru introduced two new models this week.

At the Tokyo Motor Show Subaru introduced the Cross-Sport. A shooting brake based on the BRZ/GT86 platform

Then, a little while later, at the LA Auto Show they introduced the 2015 WRX.

The Cross-Sport could be a car I want desperately . . . the WRX looks like Subaru kinda just gave up.

I love Subaru, but since 2010, BRZ aside, It feels like the accounting department took over.
eraser_rx
I also gave up on Subaru...sigh

Subaru is just telling us to buy the current WRX or STi if we can afford it now....
SlowHamster
That WRX...how can a car be dreary and overdone all at the same time? But honestly I haven't been in love with the WRX's styling since the 2006 model, so maybe I'm the wrong person to comment.

Nostalgia!

Love the CrossSport though.
clarkma5
I dunno, I don't think the new WRX is that bad. The aero nose STI was probably the best of the bunch, or the post-08 "oops let us fix that" hatch, but honestly none of them have been design home runs. They're hotted up economy cars.

A big part of it, too, will be how good it is. As they say in Formula 1, "a fast car is a pretty car". The power they're getting out of the new 2.0 turbo, the reduction in weight, the new 6 speed manual...should all add up to be a quick car, if they get the chassis dialed in nicely. Especially if they keep the price about the same (looks like they have) and the efficiency goes up, then the whole thing as a package "looks" really good to me!
dukenukem
Mechanically the car is a lot better than previous ones .. decent fuel consumption, FLAT and LONG powerband, and most importantly bottom mounted twin scroll turbo. Even the interior has been upgraded to SOFT TOUCH plastics, MUCH better seats, LED headlights, HK Stereo, Torque Vectoring. Lots of reasons to like this car.

the exterior is meant to attract more pedestrian buyers and not just the traditional WRX fans.

I wouldnt mind test driving one of these.
clarkma5
Yeah, if I end up in the GTI MkVIII/FRS/BRZ sorta price bracket for my next car, I will definitely be looking at one of these. Honestly, compared to those, the fuel economy of the current model was a deal breaker (though I rather like them a lot)
SlowHamster
I wasn't saying it's going to be a bad car, just that I don't like how it looks. That 2006 STi that looks so awesome was miserable inside...cramped and cheap. Soft-touch plastics, good fuel economy, and nice seats in an Impreza would be fantastic. I'm just really not into how it looks.
b0mb3r
Oh my. The issue with WRX for me has always been the insurance costs...I just don't understand how a VW GTI can be so much cheaper insurance-wise than WRX.
Bjorn
It'll probably look better in person . . . this is photographed from really low down. But it just looks dull to me. Almost Civic-like. Which is probably what Subaru was going for.

I'm fine with that for the normal Impreza, but the WRX is supposed to be something special . . .

Admittedly, the mechanical specs had me drooling . . . but the exterior doesn't look worthy.
SlowHamster
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Nov 28 2013, 09:59 AM) *
Oh my. The issue with WRX for me has always been the insurance costs...I just don't understand how a VW GTI can be so much cheaper insurance-wise than WRX.

It's just statistics. The WRX primarily just attracts hardcore enthusiasts. Hardcore enthusiasts are, unfortunately, more expensive to insure. The GTI also attracts some hardcore enthusiasts, but it also attracts a very significant number of really pretty sedate drivers who just like the "driving feel" of it but really don't ever push it far beyond the legal limit. The WRX captures some of these white-collar-desk-jockey types, but in my experience, the GTI is a much more popular with this demographic. And that demographic is very cheap to insure; fewer claims. Run the numbers, that pushes the average number and severity of claims for that model down, and voila, you've got a cheaper-to-insure car.

Also, the WRX is disproportionately popular in areas with really gnarly winters. Really gnarly winters = more insurance claims. This once again affects the average number and severity of claims for the model of car, which reflects directly on the rates that you're offered.

The secret to an insurance-friendly enthusiast car is to find a car that non-enthusiasts also love. GTI and Miata both spring to mind, though I haven't had reason to get a quote on Miata insurance, so that's just speculation. Regardless, if the better fuel economy and more sedate lines bring in more somewhat-sedate drivers to the WRX camp, the insurance rates for this generation should plummet.

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 28 2013, 07:57 PM) *
It'll probably look better in person . . . this is photographed from really low down. But it just looks dull to me. Almost Civic-like. Which is probably what Subaru was going for.

I'm fine with that for the normal Impreza, but the WRX is supposed to be something special . . .

Admittedly, the mechanical specs had me drooling . . . but the exterior doesn't look worthy.

I tracked down some other photos and it's more flattering than that one, though still not my favorite WRX by far (styling-wise):

Love the wheel and the refreshing simplicity of the center stack, though not the carbon-fiber accents (or worse, faux-carbon-fiber, not sure from the photo):

Bjorn
Those pictures are much better, but I still think the car has some weird styling elements.

-The front looks super-wide. There needs to be something to break up those huge fenders.
-The wheels look tiny in those arches too. But I don't know if there would be room for anything bigger.
-I'm getting a serious BMW E90 M3 vibe from the back end. Not necessarily a bad thing, but kinda lazy of the designers.

I'll reserve further nitpicking, for a car I will never own, until I see a blue example with big, gold wheels.

Also, I want to see the 5-door version.
SlowHamster
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 29 2013, 06:49 PM) *
-I'm getting a serious BMW E90 M3 vibe from the back end. Not necessarily a bad thing, but kinda lazy of the designers.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it; it was a striking similarity in my eyes.
moe
The WRX hasn't been anything special for a while (or was it ever?) The STI is still to come, and I'm sure Subaru will have some tricks up its sleeve.
Bjorn
Maybe it was because it was such a huge deal her in NA when, in 2001, we actually GOT the WRX after salivating over the car in every other market for years . . . but I remember that generation, and its restyles, (from the bug eye to the one just before the previous one) being pretty special cars.
clarkma5
Yeah, the WRX landed with so much anticipation and fanfare and pretty much lived up to the hype at the time in the eyes of most...that has definitely colored it as a "special" name plate in North America ever since.
Bjorn
I remember a Road & Track article that pitted one against a 996 C4, and the WRX held it's own; I've been enamoured ever since.
SlowHamster
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Nov 29 2013, 06:49 PM) *
Also, I want to see the 5-door version.

Unfortunately, Subaru isn't making one.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/26/subaru-...-for-la-reveal/

Bjorn
"Reportedly" in Autoblog speak is code for "we made this up because people will share it," in my experience.

Subaru was also "reportedly" not bringing the STI to the UK . . .
eraser_rx
Not too bad...but still...Meh dry.gif

Cyclone

It just looks so inconvenienced by this
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.