Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New user introduction
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
SlowHamster
This one weird trick will get you an iPad Air for just $70! Just follow this link to find out how!

Okay, just kidding, long-time lurker, first time poster signing in and saying hi. As you can probably guess from the username, I'm a Top Gear fan. I drive like James May (maybe even slower) and have automotive tastes that vary between May's and Hammond's. Clarkson is hilarious but I'm pretty sure I've actually never agreed with a single thing he's ever said.

I've got a 2011 Civic Si that I like, and it's a good thing I like it, because some tool backed into me and did a heapload of cosmetic damage which means I'll never get a good trade-in for it. So that's my ride for the long haul. My better half has a Mazda5 6MT, and lemme tell ya, it's actually brilliant. You'll be hard-pressed to find a more practical vehicle for $20,000 and a smile, and it's not half-bad to drive for a non-sporty vehicle.

I thought I'd sign up because this forum has a pleasantly low rate of traffic (you don't have to post five times per day to keep up with a conversation) and some folks who seem well-informed, and if not moderate in their views, at least entertaining.

In terms of automotive tastes, I'm particularly impressed by what Mazda and Ford are releasing right now. I'd looooooooove to see a Mazdaspeed version of the new 6, and I'm psyched for the new Mustang, particularly the rumor that they're going to be adding lightness. I'm personally not as excited about exotics as some people, given that I'll never own one and I rarely even see 'em in person, but that's never stopped me from offering my baseless opinions. I also find alternative-fuel cars really interesting from a design and engineering standpoint, though I don't own one myself and probably wouldn't until "fun to drive" becomes a higher priority in that segment.

My other likes, in no particular order, include trapshooting, 90's alternative, longjing tea, the BBC's Sherlock, dogs with fewer brain cell than legs (both of my dogs qualify, bless their hearts), the Mass Effect trilogy (or more precisely, the first 99% and definitely not the last 1%), and bad science puns.
UserDrew
Welcome.

Decent taste in brands, it seems. Most of the Honda guys seem to have fallen off the internet. This is now mostly VW territory. Feel free to post pictures of your vehicles in the "user's ride" section and debate a car's coolness in the cool wall.

Sherlock is entertaining. I'm looking forward to a new series next year. If you like Sherlock, Endeavour is worth checking out. It's based on a TV series that is in turn based on a series of mystery novels. The series it's based on is good as well.
clarkma5
Howdy! I definitely agree that Mazda is doing great these days, and I like what Ford's been doing for awhile now. Congrats on owning the last 8th gen Si (booo 9th gen) and I also have a thing for the Mazda5...I autocrossed one at a Mazda event many years ago and actually liked it more than the 3. Would be a great family/practical car with a stick.
SlowHamster
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Oct 29 2013, 01:06 AM) *
Welcome.

Decent taste in brands, it seems. Most of the Honda guys seem to have fallen off the internet. This is now mostly VW territory. Feel free to post pictures of your vehicles in the "user's ride" section and debate a car's coolness in the cool wall.

Sherlock is entertaining. I'm looking forward to a new series next year. If you like Sherlock, Endeavour is worth checking out. It's based on a TV series that is in turn based on a series of mystery novels. The series it's based on is good as well.

I'm not surprised most Honda guys have drifted away...the company seems to be in a tailspin right now. Their sporty heritage is going nowhere (at least with their consumer car lineup; not talking about racing or motorcycles), and they really aren't doing anything remarkable on the alternative fuel front either (for a company once known for its fuel economy, that's surprising laziness). Think the 9th-gen Si is a joke? Check out an Insight sometime. Serious contender for worst car in the segment.

I'll have to get pictures of the car this week...it's desperately needing a cleaning anyway, and I'll snap pictures after that. Right now it's a disgusting mix of road grime and pollen (what the hell is pollen doing coming down at the end of October?).

I'll definitely check out Endeavour. Thanks for the tip!

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 29 2013, 08:24 AM) *
Howdy! I definitely agree that Mazda is doing great these days, and I like what Ford's been doing for awhile now. Congrats on owning the last 8th gen Si (booo 9th gen) and I also have a thing for the Mazda5...I autocrossed one at a Mazda event many years ago and actually liked it more than the 3. Would be a great family/practical car with a stick.

Autocrossing a Mazda5? That's awesome. Yeah, particularly with the stick, it's a real pleasure to drive for a family-hauler. Good steering and good suspension composure too. These are things you don't normally say about something with three rows of seats. And even the cartoony face, which looks out of place on a lot of Mazdas, is downright perfect on something with a bunch of booster seats in the back.
clarkma5
Think Honda's coming back though. They're trying to correct the 9th gen Civic, the new Accord is nice...yeah yeah, nothing enthusiasts are gonna get excited about but after the boat of the previous gen, it's an improvement. They're talking about building the S660 as a sub-BRZ sports car, a BRZ/FR-S competitor and we'll finally get a new NSX one of these days, probably.
Razor
A Mazdaspeed version of the new 6? Fuck, yes please.
SlowHamster
Every time I see the new Mazda6 around town, I think to myself again that they knocked the styling out of the fuckin' park. Haven't yet had any seat time in one, though.
harrypotter7
Hello all Newbies, how are you all Guys. I am Harry Potter from United States Of America. I am New in this Awesome Forum Website. Nice to meet all of you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.