Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Product Photography + Behind the Scenes
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography
Brent B
Alright guys. It's time I contributed more than my finished photos and gave back in terms of learning actual techniques. This thread and photos was inspired by Jeff Creech's thread about his product photography and behind the scenes/buildups.

These are mostly experimental, so don't go too hard on me. But please give your honest input. Do you love the shots? Do you hate 'em? Why? Etc.

Behind the Scenes:

I hope to get a better backdrop and work area some time in the near future. Two strip boxes would be nice as well.

And then something I shot last month:

*Edit* Also, this was my first product shot ever. Shot back in June this year.

Basically what I've learned is to use black and white cards to highlight areas, accent edges, etc. Also, that Krylon dulling spray is simply magical! I highly recommend it for certain shots. One thing I'll be changing in the future is the one highlight in the middle of the can. I was only using one softbox, so to me that highlight is too distracting.

Hint: Don't splash Pepsi all over your kitchen without having better mess-prevention handy. A better alternative would be to take photos of water and just change the color to match the Pepsi. wink.gif

Flickr | Facebook | Website
Brent B
This was a pain to light. Edited just last night.

bkl
well done! professional looking for sure!
Broda
These are great. Been wanting to do more product shots.
Brent B
QUOTE(bkl @ Oct 31 2013, 06:15 PM) *
well done! professional looking for sure!

Thank you, sir. smile.gif

QUOTE(Broda @ Oct 31 2013, 06:24 PM) *
These are great. Been wanting to do more product shots.

Thanks! And you should post some of your work!

Wouterkingma
Looks like a really nice spot to use....Nice job
MaTBoY
here's one I did ages ago. I should book some time to myself to fuck around with some more producty stuff. It was pretty fun smile.gif
Brent B
QUOTE(Wouterkingma @ Nov 21 2013, 05:34 AM) *
Looks like a really nice spot to use....Nice job

Thanks!

QUOTE(MaTBoY @ Nov 26 2013, 07:07 PM) *
here's one I did ages ago. I should book some time to myself to fuck around with some more producty stuff. It was pretty fun smile.gif

Oh nice! Yeah, you should definitely shoot more products! I'm really liking your automotive work. thumbs_up.gif Good stuff.
The Chosen One
I really love your work!
professional for sure

I always wonder what lenses are used for this kind of work?
Brent B
QUOTE(The Chosen One @ Jan 2 2014, 01:53 AM) *
I really love your work!
professional for sure

I always wonder what lenses are used for this kind of work?

Thanks, dude! smile.gif

I shot all of these on my Canon 50mm 1.4, with the exception of the PUMA image being shot on the Canon 16-35mm 2.8L. For other professionals shooting watches and similar items, I believe they use macro lenses like the Canon 100mm. Hope that helps!

Shigeta
Shots look great! Have you had any sharpness problems with the 50mm?
Brent B
QUOTE(Shigeta @ Jan 2 2014, 09:46 PM) *
Shots look great! Have you had any sharpness problems with the 50mm?

Thanks, dude! Only when I shoot wide open at 1.4 do I notice a lack of sharpness. At 1.8 it performs well, but anything above f/2.0 is sharp as a tack on mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.