Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second Car?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
moe
It's been a while since I've posted on DS, but wanted to ask a car-related question without my entire social network getting involved. I'm on the verge of signing one of the most insane job offers I've ever gotten, but it involves me working in a different city. That's a 119km commute every morning, and then back in the evenings.

I'm in two minds about what to do about my car situation. I bought the 86 so that I could keep it forever. I really did. Part of me wants to try to preserve it a bit, keep it in the garage, or let the wifey drive it to work (she works close by). So I'd buy something comfortable & reliable to pile the miles on for the work commute. I'd still be driving the 86 for everything other than the daily work commute. It'd also be nice to have something a bit larger and safer than a pint-sized sports car for the high-speed drive.

The other part of me thinks, fuck it the car is meant to be driven. It isn't a horribly exciting drive though, and in the desert the car could get badly damaged during a stand storm.

What are your thoughts?
Razor
Land Cruiser.

Also, update your profile picture!
dukenukem
Buy a used Lexus LS400 or equivalent luxo barge for cheap and drive it till the wheels fall off.
fiber optic
Town Car/Crown Vic/Grand Marq
moe
I'd want something with better gas mileage than those. I'm thinking like an '04 Honda Accord.
clarkma5
fiber optic
QUOTE(moe @ Oct 9 2013, 05:47 AM) *
I'd want something with better gas mileage than those. I'm thinking like an '04 Honda Accord.

How good is the fuel economy on that?
Razor
Clark, that could NOT have been more accurate, lol
dukenukem
I love Regular Car reviews!
midnightdorifto
Go for something boring that won't be tempting to mod. I'd recommend a Daewoo.

Or a Trabant.

Or a moon buggy.

But yeah, that Accord sounds nice. Open the hood every few thousand miles to change the oil and ignore pretty much everything else while it hums along just fine for years.
Bjorn
What about an Acura TSX or something? You get the economy of the Accord, but something that doesn't look like you've just picked the first grey car on the lot.

I would also approve of an E46 BMW 320i, assuming you have those in your part of the world.
moe
Hahahaha, regular car reviews killed it.

Bjorn, we don't get Acuras here, and the E46 is not a car I consider to be reliable (based on my friends' experiences after the warranty expired).

I'd forgotten something though. I owned a Mazda3 for five years. I'd have one of those again in a hearbeat.
Bjorn
Lexus IS?
moe
Resale values are too high for me consider that. They didn't sell the first-gen model here for the record.

Besides, the job offer hasn't come through, my office remains across the street from my house.
SlowHamster
Do they sell the Scion tC over there? The second-generation wasn't the sports coupe Toyota wanted it to be, but it had a quiet, comfortable, composed ride that'd be a pleasure to be in for a couple hours per day...and it's more exciting than an Accord (both to drive and to look at). It's got good reliability, and it's cheap enough that sand damage would be no big deal in the end.
Bjorn
QUOTE(moe @ Oct 28 2013, 10:20 AM) *
Resale values are too high for me consider that. They didn't sell the first-gen model here for the record.

Besides, the job offer hasn't come through, my office remains across the street from my house.

Sorry to hear that.
moe
Not a big deal. I still have some cool clients, and my job is pretty awesome (though that sentiment seems to change on a monthly basis).
goota
you should still get a second car, except now it can be more ridiculous
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.