Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regrettable Asian Luxury Sedans
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Mr b00st
What the hell are you talking about?
I don't know. I'm bored. I don't write for a car site any more and I need somewhere to ponder pointless questions like this one.

what's the pointless question, then?
Well, in the late 90's and early 00's, a couple of Asian brands tried to branch out into the "luxury" market, all with similarly terrible results. The Mitsubishi is the longest lived of these failed attempts, and probably the least terrible. Today, you can pick up these "luxury" cars for a popcorn fart and a hug. I'm wondering which you think is the least awful. Sort of like "what's your favorite strain of hepatitis?

Do I have to? Jeez.
No, but you clicked on this post anyway! There's a poll!

Mitsubishi Diamante

Price then: $27,897 (2000 "LS" model)
Price now: $2130-$3030
Depreciation: 92.3%

Engine: 3.5L 24v V6, 210 horsepower, 4 speed auto, FWD
Performance: sluggish. 8.5 seconds 0-60 new.
Goodies: leather seats, dual 10-way power, cruise, pw/pl, sunroof, CD player, TCS, heated front seats, foglights, wood grain, heated mirrors
weird fact: Was made in Australia.

Suzuki Verona

Price then: $20,299 (2006 "Luxury" model)
Price now: $3,065-$4,065
Depreciation: 84.9%

Engine: 2.5L 24v I6, 155 horsepower, 4 speed auto, FWD
performance: 0-60 10.7 seconds
Goodies: Leather, auto climate, sunroof, ABS, heated seats and mirrors,
weird fact: the Daewoo-sourced "XK6" 24-valve inline six not only had an end-on transmission, mounted sideways, but it had a smaller turning circle than a 4-cylinder Accord. Oh, and the motor was designed with input from Porsche. Apparently not a lot, though.

Hyundai XG350L

Price then: $25,599
Price now: $3,527-$4,602
Depreciation: 86.2%

engine: 3.5L 24v V6, 194 horsepower, 5-speed shiftable automatic
performance: 0-60 8.1 seconds
Goodies: heated leather power seats with memory, automatic dual-zone climate, heated mirrors, pw/pl, sunroof, reverse tilt-down mirror, 210w Infinity stereo, 8-disc trunk changer, blah blah
Interesting fact: the XG300/350 are the third generation of the Hyundai Grandeur, but the first sold in the US. The first two generations were clones of the Mitsubishi Debonair, which was somewhat similar to... the Diamante. It was a clone to the awful, awful Kia Amanti, and was replaced by the pretty-nice Azera.

Mazda Millenia S

Price then: $31,025 (2002 Millenia S)
Price now: $3,650-$2,650
Depreciation: 91.4%

Engine: base 2.5L 24v V6, 170bhp. S: 2.3L Miller-cycle supercharged V6, 210 horsepower. 4-speed automatic, FWD
performance: 0-60 8.5 seconds
Goodies: leather, 8-way power seats, 17" alloys, 9-speaker Bose Audio w/6-disc in dash changer, auto climate control, cruise, AM/FM/CD, keyless entry, fog lights, traction control, etc
interesting fact: The Millenia which came out in 1995 (first generation) was originally intended to be part of Mazda's Amati lineup, their luxury channel akin to Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti. The 13b/20b Cosmo was too. Sad panda. Oh, and a W12-powered 929. Miller cycle V6's are cool enough I suppose, but catastrophic depreciation, very un-japanese reliability, and the sheer terror of finding parts for these mean there aren't a lot left on the road. Still very cool, in a "no way am I going to drive a 3.2TL" kind of way, right?

edit: how did I forget the Millenia? Is anyone there? Ahhhhhhh!
clarkma5
Back in '97 my parents really liked the Diamante but it was a little out of their price range and ended up with a top of the range Accord V6. Neither was a winner, really.

I voted for the Millenia. I had a soft spot for them at the time, really liked the uniqueness, power, and efficiency of the miller cycle V6.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 3 2013, 10:57 AM) *
Back in '97 my parents really liked the Diamante but it was a little out of their price range and ended up with a top of the range Accord V6. Neither was a winner, really.

I voted for the Millenia. I had a soft spot for them at the time, really liked the uniqueness, power, and efficiency of the miller cycle V6.

I love the Millenia too, I smile every time I see one in traffic. They had REALLY nice quality interiors, too - you could tell it was a cut above standard Mazda fair.

I'm gonna scrounge up some interior photos...
Mr b00st
Diamante interior:

Verona interior:

XG350L interior:

Millenia Interior:
clarkma5
lol god it's all so...'90s.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 3 2013, 02:52 PM) *
lol god it's all so...'90s.

It's funny how similar they all look inside. Shitty leather. Fake wood grain from the same fake tree. Crappy steering wheel. CD changers. Throwback!

Here's my thing though. If I were spending 3 grand on a beater, I think i'd MUCH rather have a Diamante than say, a Camry. Or a Civic or something. Even though it'd probably be a bad choice.
clarkma5
uh yeah that would be worse than a bad choice. considering the running costs, you could probably spend $3k on a Diamante vs. twice that on something newer and more reliable.

Then again, you can probably get a Diamante for a lot less money than something that's newer and more reliable...
moe
God I love obscure 90s Japanese sedans. Mazda's were arguably my favorites (Xedos 3 & 9, Millenia, 929 Sentia). I actually spent the entire last week obsessing about the Toyota Century...which culminated in me seeing one at the valet of a swanky mall. Naturally I voted Millenia. The Diamante was sold as midsize here called the Magna (nowhere near as well-specced as in the US). It also was on sale for literally forever, so I think it's boring. The Verona was also sold as a midsize here, the Chevrolet Epica. Basically the cheapest V6 you could buy. The Hyundai, I just never really cared for. I preferred the oddball, Jaguar-imitation, Kia Opirus (Amanti in the US?).
Mr b00st
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 3 2013, 07:57 PM) *
uh yeah that would be worse than a bad choice. considering the running costs, you could probably spend $3k on a Diamante vs. twice that on something newer and more reliable.

Then again, you can probably get a Diamante for a lot less money than something that's newer and more reliable...

It'd probably be a draw long-term. But you'd be cruisin' in 90's Japanese Luxury Style in the Diamante!
Mr b00st
QUOTE(moe @ Sep 4 2013, 07:50 AM) *
God I love obscure 90s Japanese sedans. Mazda's were arguably my favorites (Xedos 3 & 9, Millenia, 929 Sentia). I actually spent the entire last week obsessing about the Toyota Century...which culminated in me seeing one at the valet of a swanky mall. Naturally I voted Millenia. The Diamante was sold as midsize here called the Magna (nowhere near as well-specced as in the US). It also was on sale for literally forever, so I think it's boring. The Verona was also sold as a midsize here, the Chevrolet Epica. Basically the cheapest V6 you could buy. The Hyundai, I just never really cared for. I preferred the oddball, Jaguar-imitation, Kia Opirus (Amanti in the US?).

God, the Amanti. Yikes. You know what though, my parents neighbors (both very old) have a late-build Amanti with that 3.8L and all the goodies. It's clearly a FAKE luxury car, but it does a damn good imitation of a Cadillac Deville. Rides like a cloud, has enough torque to accidentally annihilate tires, quiet as a mouse fart, etc. But there's just nothing "classy" about it. Not that they care!

I forgot about the whole Magna thing. They sure aren't interesting to look at, even the Diamante "VR-X" - sadly not stuffed with turbos.

God that facelift was bad. BAAAAAAD. Eww.

Also, I wonder why their never put their "8A80" V8 in the Diamante. Mitsu/Hyundai co-developed a pretty attractive all-aluminum V8 with iron cylinder liners. Direct injected (back in 1999!) with DOHC 32v, made 280bhp/4.5L.

Only ever put it in the Proudia/Dignity (worst names ever!) in the JDM though.
Synesthesia
Puke! Interesting how the Asian sports cars were much more interesting than the luxury cars...
Razor
This thread is actually painful to look at. sick.gif
Bjorn
I loved the Mellenia. I think it's still a very sharp looking car.

The rest are awful.

I always thought the Verona looked like a very badly imitated Subaru Legacy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.