Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie car photographer here!
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography
BAJS
Hi, this is my very first post here and well, and to be honest I am a little intimidated as the work presented here is by far some of the best I have ever seen. So I thought if there is any place I could gain tips and knowledge when it comes to car photography, it would be here.

First I would like to say that all the cars you see in these pictures are owned by us, the F12 and MP4-12c are mine and the SLR is my brothers. We have others but these are the ones I worked with so far. These beauties are the main reason I decided that I wanted to get into the field of photography, specifically car photography. I am a huge motor head and honing the ability to capture such mechanical marvels seemed like a proper step forward for me.

Here is my work thus far, they are posted in the order that I took them in, hopefully you guys see some sort of progress, unless I am completely going in the wrong direction here lol. Any critisim is welcome and I hope you guys enjoy these pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them. I think I should note that the first two pictures were taken very early on in my photography "career" before I discovered photoshop lol.

4L5A0022 by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

4L5A0074 by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

8U9A0502 by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

No white bars by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

8U9A0583(Contrast Logo)Epic by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

8U9A0642(3-2 ratio) by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

8U9A0666(Final Logo) by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

Untitled_HDR2(with logo) by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

8U9A0840(highcontrast) by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

8U9A0967 Logo by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

Black and White contrast by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr
DarioD
Welcome mate! The side shot of the f12 is awesome! U are a very lucky man owning those!!
I'm in the same boat as you as a fairly new member. The photos that are here are amazing. It can be pretty scary but always worth uploading shots.
Looking forward to seeing more smile.gif
nkeekstra
Wow! Impressive collection! I also just started on this forum and I am also impressed with the images that are posted here. But the nice thing is that still pro's are very helpful if you have questions! That SLR is the bomb man! Great color and nice rims! Would love to see more work from you
Keep up the good work!
Brent B
I too am fairly new here, but I guess it's okay for me to welcome you as well as the guys posting above me. smile.gif

I do see some noticeable progress in your photos. It would be helpful if you'd number your photos for people to critique more easily; also asking specific questions about improving your skills will probably encourage more replies. 4 & 8 are my favorites. One tip I would recommend is one that I saw someone else give not too long ago: give the car a little more breathing room and allow more interaction with its surroundings. That's something I am currently trying to implement into my photos because it's so much more engaging and fosters a sort of "completeness" to the photo. Not to mention it tells a story or makes you think and more or less compels the viewer to mentally jump into said story and setting. Maybe that sounds weird. Idk. haha

P.S. I am totally jealous that you guys OWN these beauties! I can't even afford a full-frame camera at present. sad.gif

Flickr | Facebook
BAJS
Thank you for all the positive feedback guys I really appreciate it!

And Brent! Well I honestly don't know what specific fields I can improve upon really because I don't know what fields there are to improve upon lol. Thanks for your detailed feedback and input. Correct me if I am wrong but when you say breathing room do you mean something along the lines of including more background and less car or did I misunderstand what you meant by that?
Martin
Welcome! Seems like you live in the right region for shooting cars!
I say as I do to most these days, take a few steps back from the object once in a while so not all shots are that close-up. That will allow yourself to start play with compositions more.

Ps. BAJS = SHIT in swedish, true story!
BAJS
QUOTE(Martin @ Jul 4 2013, 11:39 AM) *
Welcome! Seems like you live in the right region for shooting cars!
I say as I do to most these days, take a few steps back from the object once in a while so not all shots are that close-up. That will allow yourself to start play with compositions more.

Ps. BAJS = SHIT in swedish, true story!

Lmfao, you learn something new every day, BAJS is just the first letter of each name in my full name. What are the odds lol.

Man I love your shots, just checked out your Flickr account, if you don't mind sharing how do you take pics like the ones of the Porsche? The most recent one? Do you use flash photography to make the car light up like the or is that done during the post processing?

Also here is another shot from the day I went out with the slr and f12.

Black and White top (more contrast) by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr
Martin
QUOTE(BAJS @ Jul 4 2013, 11:44 AM) *
Lmfao, you learn something new every day, BAJS is just the first letter of each name in my full name. What are the odds lol.

Man I love your shots, just checked out your Flickr account, if you don't mind sharing how do you take pics like the ones of the Porsche? The most recent one? Do you use flash photography to make the car light up like the or is that done during the post processing?

Also here is another shot from the day I went out with the slr and f12.

Black and White top (more contrast) by Barrak Al-Sarraf, on Flickr

The Cayman shots is done with flash and lots of careful time in processing aswell, so a combination of the two.
Brent B
QUOTE(BAJS @ Jul 3 2013, 02:54 PM) *
Thank you for all the positive feedback guys I really appreciate it!

And Brent! Well I honestly don't know what specific fields I can improve upon really because I don't know what fields there are to improve upon lol. Thanks for your detailed feedback and input. Correct me if I am wrong but when you say breathing room do you mean something along the lines of including more background and less car or did I misunderstand what you meant by that?

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. It's more, though, of what Martin said about taking a few steps back and not being so close and/or zoomed in. Aside from that, the biggest tips I can give you are to look at other's photos and post-work and emulate (but don't copy!) their ideas. Mix and match compositions you like with different post-processing techniques.
Also, if you're into off-camera lighting at all or are interested, that's a great way to get certain looks. If you want to shoot all natural light and/or with lights, practice with bracketing your images to get stunning results. Bring out the darks, make use of dodging by highlighting cars' curves, use a polarizer to minimize window and body panel reflections, etc. Don't get me wrong, you're not doing anything wrong in these areas, but it's what I'm learning to incorporate into my images. I'm getting better as well, just gotta practice, practice, practice every part of my shoots and workflow.

I tend to get really wordy, so I'll stop after this: earlier I mentioned bracketing. In the last photo you posted, shooting the wheels in a separate exposure focused on the rims themselves, either use strobes or lower your shutter speed to bring up the darks so you don't lose those details. If you try to bring up those areas with adjusting one overall exposure, you'll most likely get a lot of noise. That's why bracketing is so useful. Anyway, just mask the wheels in, keep it natural-looking as much as possible so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, and you're golden! Haha. I hope all of that made sense. smile.gif

Flickr | Facebook
BAJS
QUOTE(Brent B @ Jul 6 2013, 06:51 AM) *
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. It's more, though, of what Martin said about taking a few steps back and not being so close and/or zoomed in. Aside from that, the biggest tips I can give you are to look at other's photos and post-work and emulate (but don't copy!) their ideas. Mix and match compositions you like with different post-processing techniques.
Also, if you're into off-camera lighting at all or are interested, that's a great way to get certain looks. If you want to shoot all natural light and/or with lights, practice with bracketing your images to get stunning results. Bring out the darks, make use of dodging by highlighting cars' curves, use a polarizer to minimize window and body panel reflections, etc. Don't get me wrong, you're not doing anything wrong in these areas, but it's what I'm learning to incorporate into my images. I'm getting better as well, just gotta practice, practice, practice every part of my shoots and workflow.

I tend to get really wordy, so I'll stop after this: earlier I mentioned bracketing. In the last photo you posted, shooting the wheels in a separate exposure focused on the rims themselves, either use strobes or lower your shutter speed to bring up the darks so you don't lose those details. If you try to bring up those areas with adjusting one overall exposure, you'll most likely get a lot of noise. That's why bracketing is so useful. Anyway, just mask the wheels in, keep it natural-looking as much as possible so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, and you're golden! Haha. I hope all of that made sense. smile.gif

Flickr | Facebook

Thanks for the detailed reply Brent, I really appreciate the feedback. Terms like dodging, bracketing, and polarizing are all foreign to me at the moment but I will look them up and try to understand the concepts behind them so thank you very much for mentioning those specific areas that I can start improving upon. I think at the moment I'll stick with natural light and get the hang of things there first before starting to mess around with flash kits and what not. Again that's for the great feedback man!
The Unibomber
ha I have shot a corvette in that same parking garage in Kuwait I think
BAJS
QUOTE(The Unibomber @ Jul 7 2013, 10:58 PM) *
ha I have shot a corvette in that same parking garage in Kuwait I think

If it's the one in the trade free zone than yeah that's it. Many people shoot there as there aren't that many nice places to shoot cars at here.
spphoto.dk
I think they're good for a beginner! One thing though, when shooting cars, get a polarizer filter for your lenses! It's a must have IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.