Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Architectural shoot
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography
PGD
Something quite different for this forum, but as the skill level is so high on here I'd love to hear what you think to these - good and bad.

Full set over here

Nothing ground breaking or particularly exciting, but I'm here to learn like the rest. Ideas, suggestions welcome
Broda
Think they all look pretty fantastic. Some really nice compositions.
I think the only nit picky things i would mention is first in the last one. Maybe some how darken or take a bit of attention away from the signs on the bottom right fencing.
And then i think the two pictures on the right with the tables and chairs don't seem to match the rest, and aren't as strong. Especially the portrait shot. The composition doesn't do it for me.
Love the purple tones.
SC David
The first three look great. The last two exterior shots are nice, but if I'm honest, neither of those vantage points are really doing it for me. In #4, the dark building in the lower left breaks up the composition too much. I realize it would take some serious equipment to overcome that, but part of me wonders if it's not impossible to photoshop out, since it doesn't infringe on your subject building. You'd just have to shoot down on street nearby at the same angle and maybe you'd have enough material to drag in? The left side of the building it a little too dark and blotchy.

#5, the light flares from the street lights dominate the building. Again, you'd have to go to great lengths to have them turned off, I know, but maybe there could have been a way to flag them? Dunno. They're just so "in the way" that the picture seems less about the building, and more about the street scene, as dominated by the lights. The ads in the lower right are also quite distracting, and I don't get the feeling they have anything to do with the building, so why keep 'em?
PGD
QUOTE(Broda @ Jun 13 2013, 09:20 PM) *
Think they all look pretty fantastic. Some really nice compositions.
I think the only nit picky things i would mention is first in the last one. Maybe some how darken or take a bit of attention away from the signs on the bottom right fencing.
And then i think the two pictures on the right with the tables and chairs don't seem to match the rest, and aren't as strong. Especially the portrait shot. The composition doesn't do it for me.
Love the purple tones.

Agreed - those signs are distracting

QUOTE(SC David @ Jun 14 2013, 07:22 AM) *
The first three look great. The last two exterior shots are nice, but if I'm honest, neither of those vantage points are really doing it for me. In #4, the dark building in the lower left breaks up the composition too much. I realize it would take some serious equipment to overcome that, but part of me wonders if it's not impossible to photoshop out, since it doesn't infringe on your subject building. You'd just have to shoot down on street nearby at the same angle and maybe you'd have enough material to drag in? The left side of the building it a little too dark and blotchy.

#5, the light flares from the street lights dominate the building. Again, you'd have to go to great lengths to have them turned off, I know, but maybe there could have been a way to flag them? Dunno. They're just so "in the way" that the picture seems less about the building, and more about the street scene, as dominated by the lights. The ads in the lower right are also quite distracting, and I don't get the feeling they have anything to do with the building, so why keep 'em?

Agreed, that dark building does get in the way somewhat now you mention it. Taking it out well would be difficult I imagine, shooting down by the street would present all kind of perspective issues wouldn't it? - I'm not sure how you'd get over that tbh.

Yeah those flares are somewhat overpowering, sure I tried to calm them down at the time too. Is there any other way I could shoot differently to get over that? Shooting while it was a lighter outside I suppose.. I was still rushing round the internal shots at that time, before being kicked out as they locked the place up.

Having the street lights turned off or even covered would require much more organization than this small time shooter could sort.

For me it's the lack of life in there that bothers me most, people moving around that sort of thing. But I wasn't allowed to go into the building during peak hours, and couldn't photograph rooms with students in either. It's a shame we've come to this but colleges don't allow students in any photographs these days.

Thanks for the replies though, it all helps smile.gif
SC David
Here in the US you never see people in architectural type shoots, unless they are hired models who have signed releases. Photographers have been sued, for instance, in the case of a restaurant interior that was shot during business hours, and someone was there at the restaurant with someone they...shouldn't have been there with. Let's just say their spouse didn't appreciate the ad in their local newspaper smile.gif. Photographer and the restaurant got sued. I know the UK (or anywhere) is not as litigious as our lovely nation, but there are still surely some laws governing "marketable value of likeness" and so forth. Better to have gone the route you did, I think.

Tough stuff, that architectural photography! The technical process is a lot like automotive photography, but there are just a million more little details to cover.
PGD
Great point there David, thanks for adding that.

I work in Architectural CGI full time and spend a lot of time putting people into the images, so it just seems strange to me that people can't be in the photographs! (bar hiring them anyway)

Good to hear you think its a tough job too! Most people seem to think it's just a case of walking around snapping away!

The weather did it's best to put a stop to this shoot too, for the second time! The first time this was booked in the country woke up to 4" of snow! Which could have looked nice, however the 3hr drive to the building would have taken somewhat longer! The completely random weather system in the UK really doesn't help!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.