Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wow, I havent been back for a longest time.
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography
andywee
I'm surprised many old chaps still come here to post!
Mike Hyatt
Well when you don't have anywhere else to go.. haha I think this is one of the only forums like this around
Masya
Is it bad or good?
Mr.D
QUOTE(Masya @ Jun 8 2013, 03:35 PM) *
Is it bad or good?

I think it's bad if you're actually interested in photography. Today it's more about having a FFFF (frenzy fantastic facebook fiesta) then the art of having something similar to an actual discussion about work. Just keep posting a good pic once in a while, keeping the crowd coming back for more. And when you dont have anything new to show... just reuse some old shit for the sake of keeping up appearances. Unfortunately DS has become the "random photo thread"-forum.
Blue Devil
Yeah, this place is not what it used to be... I post all my new work and hope for some harsh critiques but there is very few people that give the hard critiques. I will still come in and give my .02 cents....

so, the question is... where have you been hiding?

Masya
may be to open a group on facebook with simple rules how we would like it to be?
SC David
I think this place is its own worst enemy. A lot of talented people post on here, and the critiques and constant exposure to good quality work help them/us move up in the world of photography. Then you get busy, get a million fans on facebook, and become a recluse and post only on your FB page.

I love this forum for being a unique place that happens to harbor a lot of great talent, and because people are generally very open and honest about their opinions. However, lately there just doesn't seem to be nearly the level of activity that there had been even just a year ago. I wish people would start new threads after every new set they finish, with a few details of the shooting conditions and maybe some tidbits about their editing process. A lot of new threads die off quickly because the OP will just dump a bunch of pictures without any information or context, and/or never reply to critiques. This forum was better in the past because there were good conversations and banter in the threads.

Car photos can be a bit repetitive. It's the details of "why this picture was made, who was it made for, how was it made, and what challenges arose" that spark conversation.
DonJuanMair
I quit Facebook a while ago, guess i dont have that problem. I do miss everyone posting actual threads here though. The random thread is the place to be i guess.
andywee
ever since I moved to shanghai in 2009 dec, that's when I stopped coming here. ok. then I shall flood the site here with my latest images. =p
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(DonJuanMair @ Jun 14 2013, 12:12 PM) *
I quit Facebook a while ago, guess i dont have that problem. I do miss everyone posting actual threads here though. The random thread is the place to be i guess.

I never had a facebook so I don't have that problem either wink.gif

The truth of the matter in my case is that when I left the magazine and started freelancing I've been so fucking busy shooting I don't even have time to do proper post work (or in many cases, any post work at all!), let alone make posts on the internet. Every two months or so I'll remember this place exists, come back to see if anything new is up and after two minutes realize every thread is stale and I leave.

Indeed I miss the days of being able to share photos and actually critique work, but I simply don't have much time these days and it seems like that and this whole "facebook" thing seems to have killed the site.
Martin
QUOTE(Nike SB'd @ Jun 25 2013, 01:27 AM) *
I never had a facebook so I don't have that problem either wink.gif

The truth of the matter in my case is that when I left the magazine and started freelancing I've been so fucking busy shooting I don't even have time to do proper post work (or in many cases, any post work at all!), let alone make posts on the internet. Every two months or so I'll remember this place exists, come back to see if anything new is up and after two minutes realize every thread is stale and I leave.

Indeed I miss the days of being able to share photos and actually critique work, but I simply don't have much time these days and it seems like that and this whole "facebook" thing seems to have killed the site.

This forum wouldn't hurt from your work with less post behind them. So keep sharing if you find the time.

Facebook is getting old, so now we have to learn to speak our mind and not just hitting like again.
Brent B
QUOTE(Martin @ Jun 25 2013, 10:49 AM) *
This forum wouldn't hurt from your work with less post behind them. So keep sharing if you find the time.

Facebook is getting old, so now we have to learn to speak our mind and not just hitting like again.

+1 smile.gif
andywee
same here, have been doing lots of commercial jobs and editorial jobs. I don't exactly do my own retouching nowadays. but I sit behind my retouchers all the way instructing them what to do. a lot more time effective and still having the final control over the images.
kaidalibor.de
After posting a set i shot lately I was astounded how few traffic was on here and i was kinda sad that i didnt get any harsh critiques on this set.
I ll post the next one as soon as i m allowed to and i m looking forward for some more stuff from you guys coming in the future!
btw if anyone wants to say something about this set (http://forums.dieselstation.com/index.php?showtopic=37527) go for it! i will work on it smile.gif
Timr
Although not on your level photography wise, I have been on here for a while. I am going to agree. I miss having the old DS. I learned so much, becuase the work was so top notch. The criticism was strong, the bar was so high. I haven't shot in a couple months, It feels like a part of me is missing, I haven't been on DS in a couple years. Always used to get on for inspiration before shoots, it just was a little disappointing trying to weed through threads to find anything actually of quality....
Brent B
QUOTE(Timr @ Oct 5 2013, 08:25 AM) *
Although not on your level photography wise, I have been on here for a while. I am going to agree. I miss having the old DS. I learned so much, becuase the work was so top notch. The criticism was strong, the bar was so high. I haven't shot in a couple months, It feels like a part of me is missing, I haven't been on DS in a couple years. Always used to get on for inspiration before shoots, it just was a little disappointing trying to weed through threads to find anything actually of quality....

Ditto.
Blue Devil
I have been a hard believer of this forum from the moment i found it.... but I been missing from posting my own work and giving constructive criticism. I promise to make some time to come here more often and giving my input and share some of my past work.
clarkma5
Interesting to come in here and read this. Sadly the whole site is just sorta idling as Ketan makes money off of it, it's not being grown or evolved. That said, so much of the vitality of DS is happening here in photography. Is there anything that can be done to make this sub-forum more vibrant, and/or to mix the photography forum with the rest of the forums more?

Do the discussion forums need to be restructured to better reflect the sorts of things 2013-spec DS wants to talk about? Does the site need a drive to expand the user base again? I really like the community here, even if it's lost a lot of its vitality over the years, and think DS's position as a home for good quality wallpapers, general car ownership discussion, and being a hub for amazing photography is a great basis to move forward with.
Blue Devil
Clarkma5,

i don't think it is a matter of the forum.... I see it happening in a lot of other forums.... people have moved on from this form of communication.... to one where all you gotta do is hit a button to show that you care. And sometimes asking for that is too much!
lol

We should just keep posting our work and give each other critiques.
GFWilliams
Times change, peoples lives change, they have less time, maybe less need for crit, maybe friends are in different places...
clarkma5
For sure to both of your thoughts...we're all getting older, forums are a longer-form of communication that most of what's out there these days. I remain so extremely impressed by the quality of this forum still after all these years, it shows just how worthwhile it is to share ideas and thoughts and output in this way.
SC David
I'm surprised by the degree to which Facebook has taken over for photo sharing. The quality of uploads is still quite bad, and does very little to show the depth of color and sharpness that most people are posting here. But I suppose the instantaneous response is the major draw.

I find forums like this to be infinitely more helpful when it comes to feedback and critiques. Trouble is that many photogs on this site have grown their talents and built their careers and have less time to spend coming on forums and giving feedback. At least that's my perception of it.
Gauze
i miss this place.... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.