Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Pilot Sport A/S 3 tire from Michelin
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
echo
New Images have been released for Michelin’s new all-season tire, the Pilot Sport A/S 3.

"The best balance of wet and dry performance we've ever experienced in testing" - Car & Driver

clarkma5
...but all-seasons don't exist to balance wet and dry performance, they exist to balance above-freezing and below-freezing performance. Your best wet performance is going to come from a summer tire.
wilson
Can you tell me the price of the these tires and Michelin always tried to serve with quality products and these tires looks have more grip on the road and will give the awesome performance.
speedyK

But don't lose sight of the fact that all-season tyres are always a compromise - worse than almost any summer tyre in summer (but better than a winter tyre), worse than almost any winter tyre in winter (but better than a summer tyre).

You have to be aware that you are limiting the potential to steer and stop if you go for all-seasons. Not something to go for if you want the best grip and, perhaps more importantly, the best braking performance. Just google braking ditstance comparisons of all season tyres cf. proper winter tyres in sub 6°C conditions and cf. proper summer tyres in 6°C+ conditions.

Personally, I have been shocked by just how much difference there is between top quality tyres and second rate ones (summer or winter). Apart from the important safety advantages of better braking, less aquaplaning, etc. it can make a huge difference to steering feel - and thus to the pleasure of driving.

If there is one area where it does not pay to cut costs, it is with tyres. An extra metre or two needed to stop can mean a bill of thousands - or even death! The few bucks "saved" on compromise "ditch finder" rubber can soon turn out to be a very false economy.

The premium brand all-season tyres are almost certainly better than the cheapo ones, but not as good as their own summer tyres or winter tyres in the appropriate conditions. They only sell them because people buy them, not because they are a good idea!
Bjorn
It is nearly impossible to find "summer tires" in Canada. I tried when I bought my first set of Michelin Pilot Sport ASs, and would have been paying a huge premium to bring them in special.

I settled for a set of Bridgestone Pole Position ASs for my current "summer" tire.

It's actually nice in Canada to have AS tires, since winter comes hard and fast and seemingly at random, you often have a few days of overlap before you can get your winters sorted.
speedyK
Here in Europe, there has just been a big test to show just how good (or bad) "All-Season" tyres are in summer.
They fitted identical VW Golfs with: Goodyear Vector 4Seasons (all-season tyres), Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance (summer tyres) and Goodyear UltraGrip 8 Performance (winter tyres).

They then tested for wet and dry braking, aquaplaning, dry handling, running on a wet test circle and cabin noise.

Summary: The "all-season" tyres were hardly any better than the winter tyres and far worse than the summer tyre, e.g.

Braking in the dry from 100 km/h to 0:
Summer: 30.70 m
All-season: 44.07 m (speed at point where summer tyres had stopped is still 45.7 km/h)
Winter: 45.89 m (speed at point where summer tyres had stopped is still 49.0 km/h)

In other words, at the point where you would just pull up in time to avoid a collision with summer tyres, you would smash into something at over 45 km/h on all-season tyres - or still hit something nearly 3 car lengths further ahead!!! oh.gif thumbs_down.gif thumbs_down.gif thumbs_down.gif

Bjorn
It may be psychosomatic, but my all season tires feel loads better than my winters in everything but ice and snow.

It also could be because I run a much taller tire in winter than in summer.
speedyK
If you think the difference between all-seasons and winter is sugnificant, then the huge improvement with summer tyres would really knock you out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.