Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What cars are you embarassed to like?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Mr b00st
Good open-ended question here, what cars do you like that you realize are crap/embarassing?

I've got a soft spot for a few shitty ones.

oldsmobile Aurora (Gen 1)

why: Dat engine (4.0L Northstar), dat interior. Love that center stack with the dual-zone climate, computer with all the buttons behind a tinted glass flap that flips up, that weird shifter, so comfy, so neat. They're TERRIBLE cars though. The second-generation one does nothing for me. Bonus points for the engine being in the Shelby S1.

Toyota Avalon

Why: again, dat engine (2GR-FE is powerful, super smooth, really good on gas) and dat interior - SO comfortable.

maybe I'm getting old.

you guys?
fiber optic
I hate myself for liking the new beetle.
moe
Acura ILX: It's just a pumped-up Civic, but I still find myself liking it.

Acura ZDX: It looks like it's from the future.

Toyota Camry: Most taxis here are Camrys, and every time I sit in a new one I find myself admiring the interior.

Saab 9-3: Quite a few in my neighborhood, not sure why I like them, but I do.

Lincoln MKZ: The Fusion is a better deal, and for similar money the ATS is a much better car (not to mention great-looking). Still find myself drawn to the Lincoln.

Dacia Duster: Looks fairly awful in person, but it's no-frills, back-to-basics charm makes me want to buy one.

Also, I love the Old Aurora, but I'm not embarrassed about that.
clarkma5
I'm not really EMBARRASSED by anything but yeah I've got several quirky affections. I do second the ILX Moe, though mainly for the 2.4 liter model. Definitely not embarrassing, more like a luxurious Civic Si that fixes a lot of the 9th gen's problems, dressed in classy duds.

Honestly, my roommate just picked up a 2013 Lancer with the base motor and 4 wheel drive in SE trim and it's pretty damn slick. I was turned off by the '08 Lancer's interior and I think they're improved it a lot, it feels like a very refined design (which it should be this far into its life cycle). Reminds me of the Mazda Protegé in terms of its "just right" size inside and honest well executed Japanese engineering, but new, with 40 more HP, 4WD (a surprisingly basic and manual on-off 60/40 split system, admittedly) and all the modern goodies.

Isuzu Vehicross

The V6 Hyundai Tiburons

BMW X6 (nuclear sports car dune buggy? Though these days I find their ostentatiousness strongly rivals their ridiculousness)
moe
Thought of another one. The Jaguar X-type. It embodied everything that was wrong with Jaguar under Ford's reign. Yesteryear styling, cheap interior, platform-sharing with the Mondeo, and FWD in some cases. Yet, when you drove one, everything that was right about Jaguar shone through. Rode beautifully, the steering was perfectly weighted, and gave you plenty of feedback. To this day, it's the very best compact sports sedans I've driven. I've put in a photo of the estate because the wagon was less of an eyesore IMO.

clarkma5
Oh yeah I really like the X-Type, but then again I like the Mondeo a lot (which it was based off of). It was a good size, I like the duratec V6s, AWD and an available manual.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 26 2013, 11:06 AM) *
Oh yeah I really like the X-Type, but then again I like the Mondeo a lot (which it was based off of). It was a good size, I like the duratec V6s, AWD and an available manual.

funny, I really like the Jaguar S-Type. It got routinely trashed in reviews and is apparently horrendously unreliable, but that 4.0/4.2L V8, that interior... it's very nice.
clarkma5
A good friend of mine had an S-Type 4.0 in the family, I found it pretty cheesy to sit in and drive honestly. Not a great motor either. Also hasn't aged that well stylistically (though I did like them when they were current).
moe
The facelifted S-type was actually a really good drive. I'd actually add that to this list. In fact, it was so good, Jaguar essentially reskinned it to make the XF. I believe the chassis was more or less the same as the last S-types.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 27 2013, 05:45 AM) *
The facelifted S-type was actually a really good drive. I'd actually add that to this list. In fact, it was so good, Jaguar essentially reskinned it to make the XF. I believe the chassis was more or less the same as the last S-types.

I was referring to the later S-Types, so I guess it is the 4.2L I"m thinking of. The early interiors were a bit nasty, the later ones pretty nice. Very nice seats.
Mr b00st
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 25 2013, 11:25 PM) *
The V6 Hyundai Tiburons

YES. Much to love. They look great (opinion, sure - before the facelift where they got all squinty) and they're a surprisingly fun drive. For the same money as an absolutely ragged-out Prelude or GS-R Integra, you get a much more modern car, a torquey V6 (i mean, 177bhp or whatever is no great shakes, but it works!), the 6-speed tranny shared with the SE-R Spec V (somehow with much better linkage) and CHEAP HYUNDAI PARTS COSTS. Great choice. High five. They even sound great with an exhaust... if it's a good exhaust.
b0mb3r
QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Feb 25 2013, 10:19 AM) *
Good open-ended question here, what cars do you like that you realize are crap/embarassing?

I've got a soft spot for a few shitty ones.

oldsmobile Aurora (Gen 1)

I think it's a good looking vehicle... not to mention frameless windows smile.gif There is one parking at the trainstop, I did a double take.
Peterson62
it's just a pumped-up Social, but I still discover myself preferring it. . . . .

Testimonials
UserDrew
bob4020
Iīm embarrassed to like the Bentley Mulsanne. I think itīs a beutiful car but most people Iīve talked to donīt like the look.
clarkma5
I love the Mulsanne as big limos go, though practically I find the ostentatiousness and size of everything bigger than a 5-series or E-class to be totally silly.
skr

I like the look of these things. I can picture this thing looking sexy with wheels and stance.
clarkma5
^^ I agree, they look great, but they're just an overpriced Prius underneath D: Pretty much the poster child for "all sizzle and no steak"
skr
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 31 2013, 06:51 PM) *
but they're just an overpriced Prius underneath D:

Exactly why I'm ashamed of liking this car.
fiber optic
The new Minis.
John Potts

They're huge but I dig the hell out of these
moe
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 23 2013, 12:03 AM) *
I love the Mulsanne as big limos go, though practically I find the ostentatiousness and size of everything bigger than a 5-series or E-class to be totally silly.

I feel the same. Was over at an a super-rich philanthropist's house for some discussions, and couldn't understand why the guy drove a Lexus LS. I feel anyone driving that size of car looks like a chauffeur. Driving a top-spec 5/E/GS/A6/XF seems a much more discrete & tasteful way to go. Actually, seeing the new 3 on the road regularly now, I feel even the 5 is getting too big.

QUOTE(skr @ May 31 2013, 08:23 PM) *
I like the look of these things. I can picture this thing looking sexy with wheels and stance.

God, I love the way those things look too.
bob4020
Nice looking car.

Razor
QUOTE(bob4020 @ Jun 4 2013, 11:19 AM) *
Nice looking car.

Embarrassed to like Ferrari 458... Drives "kia"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.