Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Car Help
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
moe
So guys, I'm FINALLY buying a new car. I don't have the budget I would've hoped for, but it's enough to get me some decent wheels. The car will be bought brand-new, no two-ways about it. I've gone out, done my test drives, and have really narrowed it down to two options, maybe three. I will be keeping this car as long as it's still reasonable to do so (basically it doesn't turn into a money-pit like my current car, and as long as I don't end up having any kids).

- Ford Mustang V6: The stripper model. Literally no options. If you had a single option on the V6 in this country, they specify the auto by default. The only way to get the manual is by keeping the spec bare-bones. That's fine by me, I'm just missing the V6 Performance Package...which would be nice, but the car was a pretty enjoyable drive without it. The Ford dealer here is doing an end-of-the-year event and is offering a considerable discount + 3 years/60,000km free servicing. Of course, this means I need to buy it in the next few days to avail the offers.

- Toyota 86: Once again, a stripper model. If I add any options, this also results in the car being specced with an autotragic. Felt a bit slow, tbh, but other than that it was pretty fun. Stripper spec means the car gets a downgraded interior as well. Everything from audio to trim to gauges being cheaper than a higher spec model. I could counter this by buying a BRZ, but Subaru doesn't have the same amount of dealer support or resale value, plus the base price is higher. Toyota knows it's an in-demand model, and as a result is offering nothing along with the car. No deals to be had here.

- Focus ST: The first allotment of STs for the ME arrived a day or two ago, and they'll have a demo model for me to drive by next week. Priced between the 'Stang and the 86. I'm not sure I want another turbocharged, FWD hatchback, but the ST would be a great all-rounder (and something I could probably keep forever if it didn't disintegrate). Fully-loaded too. No offers obviously, as I'd get one of the first cars to arrive on these shores.

I'm pretty much set on buying either the 'Stang or the 86, I just can't decide which one.
fiber optic
I wouldn't feel comfortable making the decision about the Mustang so quickly just to get the deal.
moe
To lock-in the deal (and the specific car I want), I can pay a refundable deposit before the end of the year. I then have three weeks to pay up before the opportunity is lost. The 'Stang is over budget if I don't. I've actually known about the deal for the best part of two weeks. Just kept going back and forth on which car I wanted to buy. Finally thought I'd throw the question out to DS, though I will say, I'm leaning towards the 'Stang right about now.
Bjorn
If it were me the GT 86 would win, no doubt...not because it's miles better than the V6 stang (from what I hear, the current Mustang is a pretty impressive car) but because I would always feel a pang of regret every time I saw a V8 roll by.

A stripper GT86 is one of my "affordable dream cars" right now...reminds me a lot of what my '83 RX-7 was all about.
dukenukem
Th bare v6 mustang is quick, just not as quick or nice sounding as the V8. That said my choice is still a used mustang GT or the 86. If you have 1 good Subaru dealer in your town then that's all you really need during warranty phase. After that take it to a Toyota dealer if that's more convinient.
moe
Making the downpayment on the 'Stang tomorrow. Just deciding if Gotta Have it Green is a color I can live with in the long-term.
moe
Okay, so it looks like it'll be the 86. Forgot, that I've had literally no offers on my car. Need to sell that first.
dukenukem
What sort of a trade in are you getting for your car?
moe
Private sale. Trade-in is undervaluing my car between 5-10k AED depending where I check.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Dec 29 2012, 02:43 PM) *
Private sale. Trade-in is undervaluing my car between 5-10k AED depending where I check.

Get your desi gene on and start haggling.
Bjorn
Drive to Saudi and get sideswiped by one of these guys.

moe
I haven't been back to Saudi in months. Doubt I'll be going back ever again. I think that era of my life is over.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Dec 30 2012, 11:44 PM) *
I haven't been back to Saudi in months. Doubt I'll be going back ever again. I think that era of my life is over.

What era would that be? Hookers and burkhas? tongue.gif
911xx
I've driven a V6 Mustang for a week last spring in the western united states (from Utah to California) and I loved it. Don't get me wrong, I'm also all about the new FR-S / BRZ / GT86 combo. But for a daily driver, given that with my old civic SI i've exeperienced what a high-reving daily-driven engine is, I'd go for the torquier, roomier mustang.

The ford ST? You'll probably get bored of it after a year or two.

Mustang w/ some aesthetical mods down the line, an exhaust, and you're set.

Do it! smile.gif

*edit: do we say I've driven or I drove ?!? f*ck my english
moe
I've had a chance to drive the 86 now (thanks Subaru, and not Toyota)...and I'm pretty sure that's what I'll do. As some of you may recall, my main client at work is Infiniti, and they've tried to tempt me with very sweet deals on the G25 and the 370Z. I wouldn't consider the Infiniti, maybe the Z, especially now that they're selling it with a manual here (finally). I prefer the back-to-basics approach of the Toybaru through.
Bjorn
Chris Harris compared the 370 and GT86...I thought this was really interesting.

Synesthesia
Very cool review. Get something used Moe! Resist the new car temptation! DS_Evil.gif
Bjorn
I dunno...I would say the opposite.

I've had lots of used cars, and all of them had bullshit problems from asshole previous owners that came back to bite me.

The wife and I bought both of our current cars from new...we've had her Yaris for seven years and my Legacy for four...and we haven't had a single problem with either beyond regular maintenance and tires.

Unless it's a fun second car, I don't think I'm going to buy used again.
Synesthesia
^Your point is well taken. I tend towards sports car = used, every day car = new (sell it when the warranty runs out). I guess Moe is looking for both in one car so ack, either direction has pitfalls. Depends on whether you favor practicality or sportiness me thinks.
moe
I'm buying brand new for a few reasons. Wifey won't let me buy used - her family has always had crap experiences with used cars, and she thinks my Pug is falling apart because it was bought used (not because the French can't build a car that stays in one piece). There are plenty of cars in my price range that I'm happy to buy. Finally, this is a car I'm planning to keep for as long as it doesn't turn into a money pit.
Synesthesia
Seems like the right choice then... biggrin.gif 86......... obviously wink.gif
moe
Never thought I'd buy a Toyota...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.