Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2007-2009 Mustang GT500
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
fiber optic
I regularly fantasize about the day I can retire my truck for something else. I browse local and internet ads to see what pricing is like and what's for sale. The '07-'09 GT500 is available in the high 20 to low 30k USD range. But the MSRP for a base '13 GT is in there as well.

The question I have: Is the old GT500 even worth considering with the MSRP of a new 5.0 being comparable? I'm leaning towards "No".

It would be a straight replacement for my truck so I would be driving it every day.

This is only for the sake of discussion. I'm easily 3-4 years away from getting a new vehicle.
dukenukem
Are you going to mod it? If your plan is to supercharge it in the future then get the GT500. If not then the 5.0 GT is a fantastic car as is.

that said, if you are planning to wait 3-4 yrs in the future then your $30k will surely get you a Boss 302 by then and I would take that one over any other modern mustang ever with the exception of old Cobra R.
clarkma5
Hmm it depends. Not going to try to predict what will happen in 3-4 years, but looking at it right now it seems to me that the new 5.0 GT is the choice if you're more interested in the whole package and the GT500 is the choice if you're more interested in power and the rest of the dynamics can take something of a back seat (not that the Shelby is a bad overall package by any means, just that the 5.0 has better overall dynamics and a much nicer interior). If you were buying today, the depreciation of the new GT versus the used Shelby would also have to be a factor IMO.

Is it worth considering? Yeah, it's a contender if you want a good late model Mustang. My personal pick would be the GT but I'm more interested in chassis dynamics than power. And of course, as duke says, the Boss 302 is badass.
fiber optic
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Oct 12 2012, 02:55 PM) *
Are you going to mod it? If your plan is to supercharge it in the future then get the GT500. If not then the 5.0 GT is a fantastic car as is.

that said, if you are planning to wait 3-4 yrs in the future then your $30k will surely get you a Boss 302 by then and I would take that one over any other modern mustang ever with the exception of old Cobra R.

For the sake of this thread we'll say they both remain stock.

I would really need to read more about the Boss 302. I know I've seen video of it in various shootouts but haven't read up on what differentiates it from the others. They have so many different models now and I haven't spent the time to keep up with any of it.

QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Oct 12 2012, 04:26 PM) *
Hmm it depends. Not going to try to predict what will happen in 3-4 years, but looking at it right now it seems to me that the new 5.0 GT is the choice if you're more interested in the whole package and the GT500 is the choice if you're more interested in power and the rest of the dynamics can take something of a back seat (not that the Shelby is a bad overall package by any means, just that the 5.0 has better overall dynamics and a much nicer interior). If you were buying today, the depreciation of the new GT versus the used Shelby would also have to be a factor IMO.

Is it worth considering? Yeah, it's a contender if you want a good late model Mustang. My personal pick would be the GT but I'm more interested in chassis dynamics than power. And of course, as duke says, the Boss 302 is badass.

I was trying to pose this as if I were ready to buy today. I think the overall performance of the GT would be better in a daily driven role and as such wondered if the GT500 was really that bad or if it could be tolerable.

Thanks for the input

PS Yes I know I could get a Corvette in the same range but I really need the back seats.
clarkma5
Mustang:911::GT 5.0:Carrera S::GT500:Turbo::Boss 302:GT3::Boss 302 Laguna Seca:GT3RS

(yes I just did a 4 part analogy) but yeah basically the Boss 302 is the handling focused version of the GT with a little more power. The Laguna Seca package firms it up more and removes more weight still.

dukenukem
The 2013 Mustang GT with manual can be ordered with the Boss302 goodies (track pack/ recaro seats). Basically you can now get 90% of Boss 302 without the premium pricing that dealers are charging.
shandyman5
Any 5.0 GT pre-2013 is junk for the simple reason of their manual transmissions bringing tremendous problems. The MT-82 is Chinese junk.

The 07-09 Shelby is okay but the interior and seats suck. It needs LCA's or it will have wheel hop problems. Also has horrible heatsoak problems for when you want to have fun on the street or take it to the track. The good news is for under a grand you can make it a 560 wheel! horsepower car. For a little over a grand your over 600 and for 5 grand you can have over a 700 hp car all on stock block, trans, and rear. Just need a clutch.

I like the Shelby's but the 10+ body style and interior are gorgeous.....

I love the 5.0's but like mentioned... those transmission are garbage. boston.gif
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 13 2012, 04:10 PM) *
Chinese junk

dukenukem
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 13 2012, 03:10 PM) *
Any 5.0 GT pre-2013 is junk for the simple reason of their manual transmissions bringing tremendous problems. The MT-82 is Chinese junk.

The 07-09 Shelby is okay but the interior and seats suck. It needs LCA's or it will have wheel hop problems. Also has horrible heatsoak problems for when you want to have fun on the street or take it to the track. The good news is for under a grand you can make it a 560 wheel! horsepower car. For a little over a grand your over 600 and for 5 grand you can have over a 700 hp car all on stock block, trans, and rear. Just need a clutch.

I like the Shelby's but the 10+ body style and interior are gorgeous.....

I love the 5.0's but like mentioned... those transmission are garbage. boston.gif

What has changed in 2013 transmission wise? I thought it was still the same barely strong enough transmission from before.
shandyman5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Oct 16 2012, 12:41 PM) *
What has changed in 2013 transmission wise? I thought it was still the same barely strong enough transmission from before.

They revised the MT fluid, and put new synchros in. I think they also put a different throw out bearing but I am not positive.
dukenukem
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Oct 16 2012, 01:58 PM) *
They revised the MT fluid, and put new synchros in. I think they also put a different throw out bearing but I am not positive.

A quick search revealed more than a few threads about transmission whining and chattering right out of the box so looks like problem is still not solved.
Peterson62
Really, it's a competitor if you want a excellent delayed design Ford mustang. My individual choice would be the GT but I'm more enthusiastic about framework characteristics than energy. And of course, as fight it out says, the Manager 302 is not so good for me. . . . . . . .

Testimonials
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.