Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newer car itch
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
dukenukem
I have now owned the STI for 6 years and I am starting to feel it's time to get something else. I had gone with my buddy to check out a E46 M3 for him and I must say I was smitten. So anyways, here is how things are:

I could sit on the STI which has been absolutely reliable and paid off and do some mods to freshen things up. OR I could get one of 3 cars listed above.

Here is how I look at things:

E46 M3 with under 75k miles, manual.

Pro:
One of the sexiest coupes ever.
Fantastic engine
Great handling and easily DD.

Cons:
Only aftermarket warranty (if applicable)
//M tax on on all parts
7-10 yr old car and all the joys that brings

BMW 335i coupe

Pro:
Twin turbo'd engine is fantastic.
CPO coverage
Lot more livable than E46 M3
All the pro of modern BMW

Cons:
Will have to change my wardrobe to fit in with the BMW owners
Fatter and less focused than M3

BMW 135i

Pro:
All the same Pro as 335i
Weights almost the same as M3

Cons:
Looks like a shoe
Less room than 335i

So I can get the M3 for $25k and if I shop around the 335i/135i for not much more. Of course, I could also do the really dumb move of buying a Corvette and picking up a DD beater for winter months.

So what would Dieselstation do?
clarkma5
I'd keep the STI. The E46 is a lovely, lovely thing no doubt but it's...well, it's $10,000 in restoring bushings and wheel bearings and big ticket maintenance things in the first couple years of ownership to get it where you'd really want it. On one hand a fun project, on another hand it's money that's going into stuff that isn't much fun a lot of the time which is kinda shitty.

The E92 is just too disconnected of a car for me. The 335i is all a sea of whooshy torque and no windnoise and restrained german damping and it isn't FUN, it's really actually rather dull for me. The 135i is probably more entertaining but still in much the same vein.

For $25k, why don't you at least test drive a Toyobaru?
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Sep 4 2012, 04:41 PM) *
I'd keep the STI. The E46 is a lovely, lovely thing no doubt but it's...well, it's $10,000 in restoring bushings and wheel bearings and big ticket maintenance things in the first couple years of ownership to get it where you'd really want it. On one hand a fun project, on another hand it's money that's going into stuff that isn't much fun a lot of the time which is kinda shitty.

The E92 is just too disconnected of a car for me. The 335i is all a sea of whooshy torque and no windnoise and restrained german damping and it isn't FUN, it's really actually rather dull for me. The 135i is probably more entertaining but still in much the same vein.

For $25k, why don't you at least test drive a Toyobaru?

The only 335i i have driven was the automatic one and it was weird. The body roll is well controlled, the steering is great and you know the power is there but it never feels fast at non insane speeds.

The E46 M3 i want simply because they just look so fucking pretty. The one E46 that I have my eye on has had most of the major bushings replaced recently so I shouldn't be hit with that expense just yet.
Synesthesia
Can't keep your STI AND buy a Corvette? wink.gif
dukenukem
I could but it would be a dumb financial decision.
b0mb3r
Do you have a garage and comfortable with working on a BMW (they are pretty simple cars to work on actually)?
dukenukem
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Sep 4 2012, 07:33 PM) *
Do you have a garage and comfortable with working on a BMW (they are pretty simple cars to work on actually)?

I don't have a garage but I have plenty of friends who do. The more logically I think about this the worse the decision appears to be. $1000 for set of tires!!! Fuck me.
Razor
You're not a yuppy, Duke. Keep the STI.
shandyman5
Buy a Vette.... if you don't mind the lack of four doors and four seats, I would get that. You can easily DD a vette as well. Plenty of people in the dirty jerz buy them and throw a set of winters on them and go all year long.

If not a 'Vette. Then all of the options are good ones. One thing to remember about an M3 though. E46's do not have hydraulic lifters. They require a valve adjustment every 50-75K miles. That is definitely a dealer job unless you have expertise in decently advanced engine work.
OHirtenfelder
I would stay away from the M3 due to what was mentioned...cost. Unless you just have too much money lying around, don't do it.

Personally I would say that the 335i is a fantastic car. It's got a fuck ton of street cred as far as a drivers car goes, and it doesn't carry the 'look at me I'm a pretentious cunt' tag of an M3. Funnily enough, here in JHB where I live the 335i is just as quick as an E92 M3 due to the altitude we're at. If anyone tells you that a manual E92 335i is NOT a driver's car, I'll say they are lying and don't know what they are talking about. It's not an M3, but it's far more car than the 'average' driver can truly exploit anyway.
And who gives a fuck about image. You sound like you watch too much TG UK ("Oh, I can't buy this or that car because it's a Volvo, or a Lexus, or a whatever, because what will the chaps down at the pub say about it") Fuck the chaps at the pub and fuck every motherfucker that wants to judge you for having a BMW. It's a great car, and you will know it.

If space isn't a big concern, I'd personally go for the 135i. It's got that same delicious TT straight 6, weighs less than the 3. Also, with a few minor tweaks and mods the 135i can be a certified M3 eater. And again, don't let anyone tell you it's not a driver's car, because it sure as fuck is. And for what it matters, I think the 1 Coupe is actually quite a good looking car (especially with a slight drop and some tasty wheels wink.gif )

If you really aren't fussed with getting a new car, and are genuinely still happy driving the STI, why not keep that. Buying a 'new' car is always a big financial decision, that is usually not truly justified.

dukenukem
335/135i both will cost sti traded in + $5k TOPS. Both will be used cars. I really don't give a shit about the image part of things. That was just a joke.

i love my STI. A couple of thousand in turbo upgrade and it will be a new beast all together. But then again I have seen Drew's 'vette give 23mpg while doing 100mph with the cruise control set.
shandyman5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Sep 5 2012, 03:52 AM) *
335/135i both will cost sti traded in + $5k TOPS. Both will be used cars. I really don't give a shit about the image part of things. That was just a joke.

i love my STI. A couple of thousand in turbo upgrade and it will be a new beast all together. But then again I have seen Drew's 'vette give 23mpg while doing 100mph with the cruise control set.

STi's are great for sure. I am not sure where Clark sees an E92 or 1 series is a boring drive. He must have never stepped out of one and then into a new Audi or MB. Those two ride like slush boxes compared to any BMW. BMW's have one thing going for them that they are now losing with the new F10, 7, 6 etc. That is driving and steering feel. Something that you could only get in a Porsche or above. BMW was king at building a car for 40-50K and making it a great drive and comparable or better than anything until the 100K plus cost mark.

I vote the M3 and 335i out.... The tough decision is 135i, STi, or Vette....
350Z
I vote for the STi since none of the others seem like they would offer anything more than you already have.

But if you had to change then 335 all day everyday.
Bjorn
Looks like I'm the only one who voted for anything other than keeping the STi.

Maybe it's just me, but when I get bored of a car I start to push my limits with it. Which is stupid and dangerous.

The E46 is a car I've never stopped lustig after. I remember group tests between it, the 996 and C5 Vette from years ago...and it always finished respectably.
It's the kind of car you could explore dynamically for years and still feel passionately about.

Moreover, every other car from that era has been replaced by something better. The 996 was eclipsed by the 997 and now the 991 has eclipsed them both. The C6 made the C5 look like a car for balding people who took early retirement. But, I would argue, the E46 is still the best of the non-homologation M3s.
Aircooled
Get a BMW, they may cost a bit to maintain, but they are driver's cars through and through.
dukenukem
Option B: Getting a set of RPF1 with brand new Direzza star specs for $900 and a buddy is buying a set of my stock BBS for $500.

that should spruce things up for now. I needed to get summer tires for next summer any ways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.