Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my universal wheel spacer idea
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Diesel
so i woke up this morning with this image in my head. i have no idea why.. but i had to recreate it. most universal wheel spacers look like this with lots of material taken out and lots of holes made to accept different bolt patterns.

My idea is to have the holes in a spiral pattern, so that no matter what bolt pattern it is, it'll fit. 5x100, 5x112, 5x144.3.. etc.

Obviously i haven't thought it all the way through yet and obviously the picture is just a photoshop and not to represent the final dimensions, but the spacing in theory SHOULD work. RIGHT? and there will be more material left in the spacer for more durability. or am i totally wrong here?
clarkma5
Well there's more to fitting a spacer onto a wheel hub than just spacer thickness and bolt pattern, but I think there aren't THAT many varieties of hub seat types so you could probably cover a lot of different cars with fewer parts. Though these will certainly be less resistant to being torqued out of their position than normal wheel spacers.
Razor
And he just gave away his design/idea on the public internutz for free for anyone to steal; you forgot that part, Clark.
eraser_rx
QUOTE(Razor @ Aug 6 2012, 05:56 PM) *
And he just gave away his design/idea on the public internutz for free for anyone to steal; you forgot that part, Clark.

my thought exactly....

another thing i like about Diesel's idea is that the spacer will be more balanced, although the universial one doesn't weight much....
clarkma5
The main thing about this is that a universal vs. non-universal wheel spacer doesn't bring anything to the party for the end purchaser unless simplifying your stock enables you to pass on significantly reduced prices to your customers. Otherwise people will just buy the H&R or whatever brand that everyone knows and loves. I suppose it allows you to capture segments of the market that aren't being served by mainstream manufacturers but those are probably pretty small niches...
porsche944
All that material is taken out to accommodate 4 vs 5 bolt setups. I dont know much about them but in the top picture you posted it looks like the 4 semi trapezoidal cutouts serve no purpose other than most likely to eliminate all that weight. If your end goal is to have as little material taken out from a solid disc as possible, assuming you want to forgo the 4-bolt compatibility, their cutouts are still better. The spiral adds no stability or versatility to the fit; in fact, it only requires more material to be bored out. Lets just say that the difference between minimum and maximum offset is five units and the width of each bore is 1 unit. Assuming the spiral is rotated 45 degrees from perfectly horizontal or vertical...

You could make an equally functional spacer by removing 29% less material!
shandyman5
QUOTE(porsche944 @ Aug 8 2012, 06:28 PM) *
All that material is taken out to accommodate 4 vs 5 bolt setups. I dont know much about them but in the top picture you posted it looks like the 4 semi trapezoidal cutouts serve no purpose other than most likely to eliminate all that weight. If your end goal is to have as little material taken out from a solid disc as possible, assuming you want to forgo the 4-bolt compatibility, their cutouts are still better. The spiral adds no stability or versatility to the fit; in fact, it only requires more material to be bored out. Lets just say that the difference between minimum and maximum offset is five units and the width of each bore is 1 unit. Assuming the spiral is rotated 45 degrees from perfectly horizontal or vertical...

You could make an equally functional spacer by removing 29% less material!

Where the hell have you been... stick around?!
Synesthesia
I've never actually seen one of these things but they are probably manufactured via stamping (like many many other car parts). If so, complexity of the 2-D part really doesn't matter. It takes just as much time/energy/material to stamp something complicated as it does something simple. Even though the weight of this thing is tiny compared to that of the whole wheel, my guess is they remove as much material as possible for lightness (and looking cool). Also, you can recycle the material that is stamped out to make more parts with the same amount of metal.

Clarkma's and 944's arguments are both good points too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.