Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Acura's dumb ILX marketing
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Diesel
so their new marketing is:

"The kind of car your dad would have driven if he hadn't had you"

sooo fucking retarded. so i made this.

fiber optic
Dad drove 2-door cars while my brother and I still lived at home.
moe
My dad would love the ILX. This is terrible. Who is Acura's agency? The planners need to be shot, because whatever "insights" they found when selling the concept for these ads clearly aren't valid. The dual personality commercials (look for them on YouTube), are pretty atrocious too.
Razor
Not sure if personally too retarded to understand ad or ad is too retarded to be understood.
moe
They're making the assumption that your dad bought a responsible, family car since he had children such as yourself. If he hadn't, he'd be whizzing around in the carefree, super-sporty ILX.
Bjorn
Speaking as a parent, I can kinda see the sense of the ad. I drive a station wagon kinda cuz I had kids. If I didn't have kids I might've bought something like a WRX instead.

Speaking as someone who likes sporty cars, this ad is indicative of Acura's deeper issue; they are Hondas with leather and bigger wheels that are trying to compete with Lexi, BMWs, Mercs and Audis. No amount of flash is going to change that fact. But Acura (and a lot of people who own them) seem blissfully unaware that they've brought a knife to a gunfight.

Every time I see a TSX I can't help but think "you could have had a 325 for just a smidge more than what you paid for your Honda Accord."

My suspicion is that most Audi owners owned a Honda before becoming financially comfortable.
moe
My idea of a family car is a four-door GTI or Golf R. That's exactly what I intend to do when I eventually have kids.
Razor
This world's too fucked up to have kids. GT-R it is.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Jul 4 2012, 06:08 PM) *
This world's too fucked up to have kids. GT-R it is.

That's a stupid statement, every generation that follows the one prior shakes their head and says how fucked up the world is. The world still exists and will continue to do so in an un-fucked up way.

The idea of a family sedan is not an ILX.... its an M5, E55, S6, Panamera, etc.

Bjorn, not getting a WRX is irrelevant because of having a kid, it's a four door sedan or wagon.... It's another thing entirely if you didn't get a WRx because of the monetary issue with having kids and a "racy" car.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 4 2012, 06:30 PM) *
That's a stupid statement, every generation that follows the one prior shakes their head and says how fucked up the world is. The world still exists and will continue to do so in an un-fucked up way.

It's not like I'm not telling you that you can't. Betcha the world won't be as nice and pretty as it is today 30 years from now... not nearly. Plus I'm just too selfish to have kids anyway.
Bjorn
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 4 2012, 05:30 PM) *
Bjorn, not getting a WRX is irrelevant because of having a kid, it's a four door sedan or wagon.... It's another thing entirely if you didn't get a WRx because of the monetary issue with having kids and a "racy" car.

Can't fit a dog and two kids worth of stuff in a WRX. Well, not a dog like mine.
Razor
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 5 2012, 11:14 AM) *
Can't fit a dog and two kids worth of stuff in a WRX. Well, not a dog like mine.

?
Bjorn

He's just 27 kilos. But on a trip to the cottage when you have 2 kids, a dog, a wife and all your stuff, you need a wagon. A hatchback would not do.
350Z
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jul 4 2012, 11:30 PM) *

I agree with Razor, fuck having kids in this world.

Just live life to excess and enjoy it.
Razor
QUOTE(350Z @ Jul 5 2012, 01:45 PM) *
I agree with Razor, fuck having kids in this world.

Just live life to excess and enjoy it.

Not sure if serious, but if you are, here's the way I look at it: I can make a difference in this world one without kids being in the picture at all. I could see myself using the time not allocated to having kids to instead spend more time with a wife/lifelong partner (marriage is meh) who is like-minded on this issue while simultaneously running a business (even a one-man deal, software engineering ftw) and potentially a non-profit of some sort defending internet rights and shit (because you know we're gonna need it!). At this stage of my life that's my ideal outlook.

Oh and handsome dog, Bjorn! biggrin.gif
Bjorn
Thanks! He's a border collie/labrador. Which basically boils down to a short-haired border collie who likes to swim.
dukenukem
I like the idea of the car but the advert if fucking retarded.
RallyCat909
I brought a kid into this shithole world and Im raising him to be a courteous, intelligent, thoughtful, decent human being. Whatever he does when he gets out into the world is all him. for one thing I pump it into his young head that media controls mostly what a crowd thinks, and he needs to go through the trouble of looking deeper into things.

I figure he should be a great kid if he survives 4chan and still comes out a decent human being.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.