Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Audi SQ5 TDI
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
OHirtenfelder

What do you guys think of this? A 3 litre, 313hp, V6 Diesel in a Q5, branded as an S-model?

Too be honest this excites me about as much as an X6M, or a M550D (or whatever BMW calls that POS).

I'm really starting to lose faith in manufacturers. It seems that every week a manufacturer is cobbling some shit together, and slapping some badge on it, in order to market it better and sell it to yuppies with too much money. Let's be quite honest here, they might as well have put the same power plant into this Q5, and given it some S-Line kit and sold it as that. There was no need to dilute the S badge in such a way.

It also makes me think: What kind of person buys this, and then feels like they have a genuine S. Same as someone who drives an X5M, do they really believe that they are driving an M? A sports car?

This kind of stuff makes me a very sad panda!

Anyone else got an opinion on this...?
clarkma5
I like it, just wish the powertrain was in a A4 avant instead of a Q5 but we already have the 3.0 SC S4 which is a very good car (no Avant in the US, sadly).

The german philosophy seems to be...fill every niche and someone will care. Well this is a compact performance diesel SUV wagon thing. Were people clambering for this product? I doubt it. Will people buy it? Yes. And it could be executed very well, and if it is then good for them.
Razor
I like this. I like the X6 M. I think performance SUV/SAVs don't "tarnish" or "dilute" the performance brands of these companies, just extend them in unique ways. This is the same thing as people complaining that there is such a thing as laptop DJing now instead of just using vinyl and decks. Times have changed, more people with unique necessities/requirements wanna have fun too without going too far out of their way. It makes perfect sense to me.
dukenukem
I would prefer a S4 Avant over this clown shoe.
OHirtenfelder
Clarkma, we have an A4 available with the 3.0TDI, albeit with 241 hp, not 313.

I see what you're saying Razor, about times changing and requirements changing, etc. But to me the core values of S and M (haha, SNM) have always been driver enjoyment and being driver focused. There is no doubt that these cars do the job, hell, an M3 is munched around a track by an X6M, but it doesn't make the X6 a better car in my books. I guess it all depends on your own personal outlook and philosophy. Sitting 4 feet off the ground is not (and will never be) sporty or involving. And that's what an S or M is supposed to be.

I have no doubt that when I get to drive this SQ5, it will undoubtedly be a great car to drive. And it will be practical, and have all it needs and the 'status' that people so badly crave, but will it be a true S? Not in my opinion. But as said, personal points of view.
clarkma5
Technically, a true S is whatever Audi decides to put an S badge on... *shrug*
b0mb3r
I am with Clark, O would like to see this in an A4... with a manual. I love diesels.
OHirtenfelder
Traditionally I would argue this further. But I won't. There's no point.
350Z
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jun 21 2012, 02:39 PM) *
I like it, just wish the powertrain was in a A4 avant instead of a Q5 but we already have the 3.0 SC S4 which is a very good car (no Avant in the US, sadly).

The german philosophy seems to be...fill every niche and someone will care. Well this is a compact performance diesel SUV wagon thing. Were people clambering for this product? I doubt it. Will people buy it? Yes. And it could be executed very well, and if it is then good for them.

QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 21 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Clarkma, we have an A4 available with the 3.0TDI, albeit with 241 hp, not 313.

QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Jun 22 2012, 01:22 AM) *
I am with Clark, O would like to see this in an A4... with a manual. I love diesels.

Just ask and the good germans provide.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/audi/a6-avant/ro...bi-turbo-driven
moe
This does nothing for me, the RS Q3 on the other hand...mmm...I would hit that.

Bjorn
I'm really bored by Audi design.

They all look the same. That's not to say they don't look good (in regards to the cars at least), but I've stopped looking forward to the next Audi.

At least BMWs are distinctive within their own lineup.
clarkma5
I don't think there's any mainstream car manufacturer that's really distinguishing their cars very well between models. Car styling has become a game of gussying up the same basic volume (determined because packaging and aerodynamic requirements have reached a zenith, segment-by-segment) which a half a dozen little styling twists that belong to each manufacturer...the kink of a window line, the rise of a crease in the side, the LED lighting pattern of a headlight, the geometric shape of a grill...

The game has become for each major manufacturer to produce a volume that belongs in a segment and then tack on its surface language to it. It's become kinda sad.
Mr b00st
They need to put this engine (3.0 Biturbo TDI) into the A4 Allroad.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.