Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So who the f*ck runs on these forums?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
OHirtenfelder
'Tsup.

Ok, so who here runs? Competitively or for recreational purposes?

I used to run quite regularly, but then my girlfriend came to visit me from overseas, and then winter set in and then it all kinda came to a halt. Recently I've started running again. The idea that got me going was that I wanted to start doing some trail running. The reason is that road running tends to get fairly monotonous and boring.

My old runnign shoes are pretty fucked, so the other week I went out and bought a new set of Salomon on road/trail running shoes. I went for a brief cycle in them and today I did my first actual run in them (5kms +- 3 miles). My feet hurt a little at first but got used to the shoes. But towards the end of the run I felt my arches really hurting. Turns out the shoes were rubbing the skin off, and it looks like I'll be getting a nice set of blisters.

Is this normal for running shoes? The last set I bought (Adidas) were super comfy from day one.

Any one else got any input??
clarkma5
Doesn't sound normal to me...

I run in Vibram KSO Treks, had them for about a year and a half now, only use them for running, and they're very comfortable for me. Most of my running is on treadmills on the gym but I also jog TO the gym. Most I run in a day is around the 2.5 mile mark. I reccomend the vibrams smile.gif
Bjorn
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 19 2012, 01:41 PM) *
'Tsup.

Ok, so who here runs? Competitively or for recreational purposes?

I used to run quite regularly, but then my girlfriend came to visit me from overseas, and then winter set in and then it all kinda came to a halt. Recently I've started running again. The idea that got me going was that I wanted to start doing some trail running. The reason is that road running tends to get fairly monotonous and boring.

My old runnign shoes are pretty fucked, so the other week I went out and bought a new set of Salomon on road/trail running shoes. I went for a brief cycle in them and today I did my first actual run in them (5kms +- 3 miles). My feet hurt a little at first but got used to the shoes. But towards the end of the run I felt my arches really hurting. Turns out the shoes were rubbing the skin off, and it looks like I'll be getting a nice set of blisters.

Is this normal for running shoes? The last set I bought (Adidas) were super comfy from day one.

Any one else got any input??

Salomons tend to have really high arches. They work for me cuz I have high-arched feet, but I have heard others complain.
OHirtenfelder
Is this something I can expect to go away, or get used to? I remember back in the day, whenever I got new school shoes, the first couple of weeks would be hell, and my feet would be covered in blisters, but then the shoes softened up and everything was fine. Or do you guys think I get new insoles or something like that?

Fuck. And Clarkma, my problem is that the Salomons were not cheap, and I do not have the funding to buy another pair of shoes right now.
moe
I just started running on Monday. It's honestly the first time I've done anything of the sort in years, and I'm sore all over. I thought I'd be able to run again today, but I feel like I'd just pull something. sad.gif
350Z
You should work out what kind of arch your foot has before you buy the trainers (normal, flat or high) and then buy trainers to suit.
OHirtenfelder
You see, I didn't know ^that....damnit cran.gif
Bjorn
Can't you return the shoes?
OHirtenfelder
After having taken them on a cycle and then on a 5km run? No way in hell they would take them back. But it's all good. I have large feet and so am used to wearing shoes till they fit my feet, I guess I'll just have to do that with these then.

Would you be able to take shoes back to the store for a return on your money after having used them and made them dirty?
350Z
This may sound a bit stupid but what kind of socks do you wear when you run?
OHirtenfelder
I generally wear whatever is in my cupboard. Now that you mention it, yesterday I wore quite thin secret socks. Not ideal for running...
dukenukem
I used to own Asics GTsomethingoranother but I could barely run 15 mins on the treadmill before my legs would start to cramp up. I decided to go see a runners shop where some experienced marathon runners guided me on what shoe to get and I ended up with Brooks Beast. Now after 30 mins of running my legs are fine but now my lungs are on fire.
clarkma5
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 20 2012, 08:12 AM) *
I generally wear whatever is in my cupboard. Now that you mention it, yesterday I wore quite thin secret socks. Not ideal for running...

...cupboard? Sockboard? O_o
Synesthesia
I swear by buying shoes from experts. There's just too many shoes out there, need something that works well for your specific needs.
Bjorn
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 20 2012, 08:51 AM) *
After having taken them on a cycle and then on a 5km run? No way in hell they would take them back. But it's all good. I have large feet and so am used to wearing shoes till they fit my feet, I guess I'll just have to do that with these then.

Would you be able to take shoes back to the store for a return on your money after having used them and made them dirty?

If you bought a pair of shoes and they fucked up your feet you can for sure take them back...in Canada. I don't know about SA.

Maybe try taking them back...if the store gets all up in your shit contact Salomon. I have had some pretty good dealings with them in the past.
OHirtenfelder
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jun 20 2012, 10:43 PM) *
...cupboard? Sockboard? O_o

A cupboard (pronouced: cubbord), what do you guys call the doors that you open and have shelves inside and you put things inside, such as clothing and other stuff?

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jun 21 2012, 05:59 AM) *
If you bought a pair of shoes and they fucked up your feet you can for sure take them back...in Canada. I don't know about SA.

Maybe try taking them back...if the store gets all up in your shit contact Salomon. I have had some pretty good dealings with them in the past.

Yeah, no chance of that happening here tbh. They will very kindly tell me to fuck off as I have ruined the shoes and they cannot resell them. Would be nice though.
clarkma5
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 21 2012, 01:23 AM) *
A cupboard (pronouced: cubbord), what do you guys call the doors that you open and have shelves inside and you put things inside, such as clothing and other stuff?

I'd call that an armoire, I think cupboard and I think kitchenwares. Anyway...
dukenukem
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 21 2012, 03:23 AM) *

Yeah, no chance of that happening here tbh. They will very kindly tell me to fuck off as I have ruined the shoes and they cannot resell them. Would be nice though.

I know what a cupboard is. These goons don't understand proper queen's English around here. tongue.gif
fiber optic
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jun 21 2012, 08:40 AM) *
I'd call that an armoire, I think cupboard and I think kitchenwares. Anyway...

I'd go with wardrobe or chifforobe but it's not like it comes up in conversation frequently.
Razor
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Jun 21 2012, 12:08 PM) *
chifforobe

wut
fiber optic
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 21 2012, 11:42 AM) *
wut

Dictionary.com says...
Jacob Photo
I left my car in the carpark, grabbed my runners from the boot, queued for the lift, then fancied some crisps.

cool.gif
Razor
If cops in England were as bad as they are here (sometimes), I would fucking lol @ "bobby brutality".
OHirtenfelder
For real...Americans call that thing an armoire or chifforobe? Really?

Wardrobe is kind of what I would expect you guys to say.
fiber optic
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 21 2012, 02:48 PM) *

Chifforobe is VERY rarely used. Armoire and wardrobe are 2 most common I think.
Razor
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Jun 21 2012, 03:48 PM) *

No we don't call it that lol, hence my "wut". Americans either call it a "wardrobe", "bureau", "dresser" or "HUR DURRR THAT THANG I PUT MAH CLOTHES IN."
Aircooled
I should run
OHirtenfelder
Just out of random interest's sake, we (in SA) call traffic lights 'robots'. Ha!
dukenukem
In India, the boot of your car is called a Dickey.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.