Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So WTF does everyone do for a job?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Off Topic
Bjorn
Like the "been up to" question, only more focused on your job.
OHirtenfelder
Same as I've been doing for a while now. I work as an 'in-house' photographer for a local (South African) motoring magazine called Accelerate, and I also freelance as a photographer. Most of the freelance work is as an automotive photographer, but some other stuff as well.

A pretty kick ass gig all round. I'm always driving the latest (and sometimes greatest) cars and having fun shooting them. Somewhat of a dream job, pity the pay is not as good as it should be.

What do you do Bjorn?
Bjorn
I'm a producer with CBC Radio.

I find interesting people for our Current Affairs hosts to interview and then I set everything up. Only been at it for a month now, but it's great work. Much better pay than working for newspapers (what I was doing before).

I would love to work for a car magazine though. That was the reason I got into journalism five years ago. Unfortunately to do that, as a Canadian, you pretty much have to live in Toronto (and even then there are very few Canadian car magazines). I have considered a few times moving to NYC or California...but I think the path to being an Automotive journalist might be closed to me now. I can't leave a good paying job I like to chase a dream like that...not with a wife and kids.
clarkma5
I calibrate scientific instruments for physical oceanography for this company: http://www.seabird.com/

Started out doing pressure calibrations for a few months, now I do temperature and conductivity for everything they make except ALACE sensors. Lots of looking at data, troubleshooting lab equipment and sensor problems based on what I see...part of the workflow of a manufacturing environment. Not quite what I went to school for, but some environmental chemistry and physical science mixed in makes it reasonably adjacent to my two Civil and Environmental Engineering degrees. It's also a reasonably chill work environment with a good commute, hours I like, and a fair deal of opportunity for advancement. Pretty happy with it overall smile.gif (wish I was paid more)

And to tie myself in with something of interest, here's a picture of a custom sensor our company built for James Cameron's trip to the bottom of the Marianas Trench. I did the initial pressure calibration on it before it got sent out and did the temperature/conductivity post calibration on it when it came back. Thought it was kinda neat smile.gif
b0mb3r
I am a SharePoint/Database architect at Wawa (local convenience store in North-East US). I like the work that I am doing, since I am moving further away from "turning nuts and bolts" of systems to designing them. The hours are decent with occasional weekend stint, and work environment is great. My commute could be a bit better and I am working on getting paid more part Raspberry.gif I don't really see myself doing a drastic career change anytime soon unless Microsoft goes out of business.
fiber optic
I own a microfabrication lab. I didn't spend any of my own money on it but if you ask my boss who owns any of the machines he'll tell you my name. It's mostly a bunch of maintenance on said machines which is the part that sucks the most. Sometimes I get to solve problems, both my own and others', as it relates to making nano and micro devices.

Here's a video of a Rube Goldberg influenced valve that pissed me off for the better part of a month. The video is crap quality. The brown/brass colored bit is a flexible bellows. First it had a crack in it and other than being a pain to replace that was about it. Then the shaft that runs through the inside of the bellows had separated from one end of the mount. THAT was impossible to diagnose. Oh, that's all in a vacuum chamber and the separated bit was letting atmosphere inside. Took it home and TIG welded it but it wasn't fantastic work. Failed after a couple of weeks. Bought a new one and good to go. Extortion prices on it.

In the past I got to make stuff. This is another crappy video, skip to 37 seconds. What you see fluttering on the right is a pumping mechanism. It is moving green and red fluid from the vertical supply lines on the left side. Red is on the top, green is on the bottom. The horizontal lines are valves that control which color fluid gets to flow. I stop the green when it runs dry and you can see air bubble passing through then it switches to the red. Everything is controlled with air pressure connected to solenoid valves fed from an I/O board on a computer. That way I could write a program that ran the pump in the correct order and opened the fluid valves. It's 2 separate layers of a silicone material. The bottom layer had the fluid channels and the top one ran the air. I forget exactly how big everything was but I want to say the channel width was around 300 microns (0.3mm or 0.011 inches). That's pretty big for a micro device and it was easy to make.

Sorry for the length, sometimes I like what I do.
Mr b00st
wow, mine are way more boring

My full time job is selling cars.

I still produce content for Car Throttle but not at the same rate I used to.
Razor
I'm a rising senior in college but working three jobs this summer, all in software engineer (one remote, two part-time in-office). I am starting to aim my focus in this field to even more specific areas and have begun talks to work for some big-name startups that I love after graduation. I hope one of them works out!
HKYStormFront
PLC/Electrical Engineer
fiber optic
QUOTE(HKYStormFront @ Jun 10 2012, 07:26 PM) *
PLC/Electrical Engineer

Tell me more.
HKYStormFront
i work for a company called tenneco, we're an OEM supplier for many car manufacturers in the US making shocks and struts. specifically monroe and rancho. our company makes lots of other things too though, like exhaust systems for example. i work with the automated equipment that handles some of the processes we do in building shocks like welding and assembly.
Brohim
Finance Analyst at this place.

Booz Allen Hamilton
dukenukem
Working in telecom industry as a support engineer/ escalation manager
350Z
Continuing airworthiness management for a private company.
Blue Devil
For Miami-Dade County... one of the biggest "county" entities and sometimes even bigger than a lot of US states in regards to a lot of things.

I am a Web Designer. I get to play with Photoshop, do a bit of coding, deal with a crappy content management system, surf the web most of the day, pay is good (actually can't complain about that), flexibility, and awesome work environment.

Thats my day job...

Oh, forgot to add that I get to work with a lot of high up Local Government entities, design websites that get visited by millions of people...

Miami International Airport is one of them

Miami Art Museum

right now I am working on the Port of Miami website

I also do quite a bit of photography for the county when they need advertising style photography.
Diesel
Product Manager and Graphic Designer for I/OMagic. I help design the products, make the packaging/brochures/manuals and everything that goes in the box, and do web design on the side.
Razor
QUOTE(Diesel @ Jun 11 2012, 12:32 PM) *
Product Manager and Graphic Designer for I/OMagic. I help design the products, make the packaging/brochures/manuals and everything that goes in the box, and do web design on the side.

You are one of the people that control how good an unboxing experience your product has? Video unboxing example of something your company makes?
Diesel
well.. problem is.. our company doesn't have the money to put into the packaging. I can only do so much and yet keep the costs down. so our unboxing experience is very very basic.
DaGonz
Deputy Fire Chief, in charge of one of four groups of firefighters in my city's FD.

In my duties, I am the shift commander, incident commnder at working fires and multiple alarm fires and such and do plans review and inspections of new fire alarm, sprinkler, clean agent and kitchen fire supression systems. I am aso in charge of communications equipment and I am also the FD's Public Information Officer. I get to work with the news media, doing interviews, press releases, etc.

I also work three per diem jobs. Job 1 is in the support services division at the Massachusetts Fire Academy. Support personnel set up and lgnite the fires in the burn building, run the props for specialized training, drive the fire trucks on and off Academy grounds, etc.

Job 2 is working as an Emergency Medical Technician for Community EMS.

Job 3 is for the Massachusetts Department of Personnel Administration/Human Resources Division as a monitor and EMT for the Entry Level Physcal Agility Testing program.

When I am not at my full time career and my per diem postitons, I have a seasonal automotive detailing venture.
John Potts
I order parts and control inventory at a kenworth dealership, its kinda boring as hell but I enjoy it
green73ta
In radio since 1978. I was on the air as a DJ for many years in Oklahoma and New Orleans. I've been off the air for awhile, now writing and producing radio commercials.

skr
Systems Administrator for a Wealth Management Firm/Life Insurance Brokerage. I have my hand in everything technology from audio/visual, servers, workstations, LAN/WAN, to Telco.
Halflifehavock13
Purchasing Financial Analyst at Meritor, a Commercial Truck Component supplier. I analyze the changes in the steel markets and the prices from our outside purchases, mainly for Commercial Aftermarket, Industrial/Specialty/Defense/Military along with our Trailer business.

I'm in a rotational development program in which I get a new rotation every year for a few years. I'll be getting my new assignment in a few months and might be moving to North Carolina.

Not as fancy as anyone else's job here.
Bjorn
QUOTE(skr @ Jun 13 2012, 07:48 PM) *
Systems Administrator for a Wealth Management Firm/Life Insurance Brokerage. I have my hand in everything technology from audio/visual, servers, workstations, LAN/WAN, to Telco.

You're the guy I have to beg to put Firefox on my workstation so I can escape from the pit of stupid that is IE.

Oooohhhhhhhh.
skr
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jun 13 2012, 08:44 PM) *
You're the guy I have to beg to put Firefox on my workstation so I can escape from the pit of stupid that is IE.

Oooohhhhhhhh.

Yes, IE blows. It's buggy, leaks memory, thinks it loves plugins but really hates it, and we have to use it because most of our web based business applications are developed on IE and Silverlight. BLEH
Razor
QUOTE(skr @ Jun 14 2012, 12:04 AM) *
Yes, IE blows. It's buggy, leaks memory, thinks it loves plugins but really hates it, and we have to use it because most of our web based business applications are developed on IE and Silverlight. BLEH

Any developer that builds exclusively in Silverlight deserves the death penalty.
joker69
i'm an engineer/administrator for active directory and ms exchange. I don't like it anymore and it's pretty boring...but it pays my bills

i wanna move to Los Angeles soon
moe
I work in Digital Advertising at TBWA's Middle East office. I basically work on digital strategy, project management (not so much anymore), and client servicing. My clients include: Nissan, Infiniti, Canon, GE, and some others. When I'm working on strategy, I love my job. Other times I feel like a glorified secretary. It doesn't pay well enough, but I'm learning a lot, and growing quickly in the industry.
Aircooled
Just hired on Tuesday at Lancaster Laboratories as a chemist. I will be testing raw materials that go into pharmaceuticals to make sure they are pure. I will be dealing mostly with the bulk fillers, starch, sucrose/glucose, etc.
infinity
In sales for a fine wine & craft beer distributor. My job does not suck thumbs_up.gif
Jacob Photo
I work for a company that does text messaging.

Things like "text 12345 to get a coupon / find out what song is on the radio / enter a contest / etc"

and starting later this year, you'll be able to donate to your favorite presidential candidate thru text message:
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn...0,7537188.story
Razor
QUOTE(Jacob Photo @ Jun 18 2012, 02:02 PM) *
I work for a company that does text messaging.

Things like "text 12345 to get a coupon / find out what song is on the radio / enter a contest / etc"

and starting later this year, you'll be able to donate to your favorite presidential candidate thru text message:
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn...0,7537188.story

So you're telling me you could be responsible for SMS spam I've received? You've got fucking balls for admitting that.
Jacob Photo
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 18 2012, 05:04 PM) *
So you're telling me you could be responsible for SMS spam I've received? You've got fucking balls for admitting that.

my company is a B2B service provider. I don't initiate any messaging, I do all the back-end work to ensure that messaging works. Some of the clients our company works with include major banks, beverage companies, TV shows, sports sanctioning bodies, cable / satellite TV providers, etc.

if you ever get an unsolicited message from a 5-digit number, reply 'STOP' or 'QUIT' and it should stop. If it doesn't, contact your service provider. There are big fines for unsolicited messaging, especially after an opt-out request.
Razor
QUOTE(Jacob Photo @ Jun 18 2012, 08:43 PM) *
my company is a B2B service provider. I don't initiate any messaging, I do all the back-end work to ensure that messaging works. Some of the clients our company works with include major banks, beverage companies, TV shows, sports sanctioning bodies, cable / satellite TV providers, etc.

if you ever get an unsolicited message from a 5-digit number, reply 'STOP' or 'QUIT' and it should stop. If it doesn't, contact your service provider. There are big fines for unsolicited messaging, especially after an opt-out request.

Haha word, I was just playin' anyway :-P What sort of work do you do, programming of some sort I take it? Also yeah, my friend filed an FCC complaint against one of those companies and got a pretty sizable settlement for very little effort after they sent him 15 text after his opt-out reply.
Seethegrim
International supermodel. And I start schools for children who can't read so good & want to do other things good too.
Synesthesia
Some sweet jobs on here! I am working on a PhD developing technology for robotic lower-limb prostheses.
Jacob Photo
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 18 2012, 06:54 PM) *
Haha word, I was just playin' anyway :-P What sort of work do you do, programming of some sort I take it? Also yeah, my friend filed an FCC complaint against one of those companies and got a pretty sizable settlement for very little effort after they sent him 15 text after his opt-out reply.

All good. There's a lot of mis-information out there about the SMS industry.

I'm an account manager. I work with our clients to get their campaigns up and running, and provide them with reporting about how their campaigns are doing. Basically, I'm a professional email forwarder.
hybr1d
Full time Afghan celebrity and part time ciient executive in corporate banking.
Cyclone
I work in library technology. My company specializes in self checkouts and automated material handling. I travel the country doing installs and service equipment. I travel wayyyy too fucking much
350Z
New job! Well I still do the same type of work but for a different company.

http://www.hangar8.co.uk/
Bjorn
QUOTE(Cyclone @ Jun 26 2012, 10:11 PM) *
I work in library technology. My company specializes in self checkouts and automated material handling. I travel the country doing installs and service equipment. I travel wayyyy too fucking much

Do you get to work around sexy librarians all day?

Cyclone
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jul 8 2012, 11:51 AM) *
Do you get to work around sexy librarians all day?

If only... though there are a few great looking girls in some places.
Dee87
I write articles for a magazine dedicated to cars

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.