Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hyundai Veloster Turbo priced at $22,725
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
clarkma5
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2...d-at-22725.html

$1600 for the engine compared to the base model plus some extra $$ for goodies. Sounds pretty fair considering a GTI, Cooper S, and Fiat 500 Abarth cost a couple grand more.

Hyundai has now released official pricing on the 2013 Veloster Turbo. You may remember that we reported it would have a $1,600 price premium over the non-turbo model -- and technically it does. But when CEO John Krafcik noted the price premium he was comparing it to a base model with the same equipment that comes standard on the turbo. Got it?

Click the jump for the full rundown of what went in and what comes out of the Veloster Turbo.

The Hyundai Veloster Turbo adds the following as standard equipment:
- heated, leather sport seats
- push button start
- power lumbar
- electroluminescent gauges
- projection headlights with LED accents
- body kit with unique front fasica
- LED tail lights
- side mirrors with integrated turn signals

Here's what Hyundai took out of the turbocharged Veloster:
- chrome grille
- panoramic sunroof
- leatherette seats

OHirtenfelder
No idea what the usual pricing structure is in the US, but that does sound awesome. Every time I see it, I like it so much.
clarkma5
It's a really good price for the spec sheet, but on the other hand you can see where the money's saved. Torsion beam rear suspension is basic and cheap (doesn't mean it's not capable, but not going to be as nice as an IRS) and I think the general consensus is that 201 "Hyundai horsepower" isn't really 201 real horsepower. But it sounds like the standard Veloster is a very good car on the whole, even where its constituent components sound unexciting, that needs more motor. Well, here's more motor for ya.
Bjorn
I like the Veloster. Every time I see one I think "that's a cool car, and a cool person bought that."

This "Turbo ultra-premium" model though, I dunno.

If they released a Turbo without all the extra equipment I think I would be in love.
Synesthesia
Sounds awesome but I do agree the posh tack-ons sound a bit silly. This car definitely presses my buttons more than the Genesis.
clarkma5
Ultra-premium? It's a keyless start button and different seats with power lumbar. Everything else is styling tweaks to set the Turbo apart from the standard model. And they got rid of the panoramic sunroof, which IMO is one of the stupidest features to put on any car.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jun 6 2012, 11:45 PM) *
Ultra-premium? It's a keyless start button and different seats with power lumbar. Everything else is styling tweaks to set the Turbo apart from the standard model. And they got rid of the panoramic sunroof, which IMO is one of the stupidest features to put on any car.

Call me insane, but I wouldn't buy the turbo over the base simply because it LACKS that feature.
clarkma5
My view on sunroofs is it's a crap alternative to an open top car, introduces another mechanical/electrical system to fail, is prone to leaks, cuts down on headroom, and puts unnecessary weight in the wrong place. Panoramic sunroof is really all of those downsides except moreso and for more money. Really don't want a sunroof on my car especially a honking glass panoramic one.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 6 2012, 11:57 PM) *
Call me insane, but I wouldn't buy the turbo over the base simply because it LACKS that feature.

Agreed, I love sunroofs.
Razor
Clark, some of us live where a convertible is goddamn inconvenient 8 months a year, and for those other four, I like being able to look at the sky and have the sun come pouring in. Your vendetta against sunroofs is exactly the same as my vendetta against manual transmissions, full stop.
b0mb3r
Sounds good, but it has too much of a LOOK AT ME design; and not to mention a name "veloster"? common. At any point, my sister was recently car shopping and Veloster was on the list, she liked the car and gizmos but she said it was just slow. And she drives a mazda 3 which is not a rocket ship to begin with. Anyway, I am not hating, Veloster turbo is a compelling package and an interest alternative to many other choices in that segment. It is nice to see that there is not a just a choice a GTI or civic SI in that category.
And I like moonroofs, at the very least you can open it and drive down the highway and pretend that you are in a convertible just for a minute or two.
Bjorn
I have to admit that when I had my RX-7 nothing beat taking out the roof pannel, rolling down the windows and driving. Some of my best car memories.

BUT I agree with Clark. They add weight at the very to of the car, are one more thing to go wrong and can leak.

If I were buying a new performance coupe I would go sans sunroof.

Actually now I'm kinda torn after thinking of the RX-7.

Damnit.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 7 2012, 07:07 PM) *
Clark, some of us live where a convertible is goddamn inconvenient 8 months a year, and for those other four, I like being able to look at the sky and have the sun come pouring in. Your vendetta against sunroofs is exactly the same as my vendetta against manual transmissions, full stop.

Agreed, and I hate the way most convertible cars look with the top up. Coupes always look better most of the time. I have often thought of getting an early 90's Miata or base 'vert Mustang to tie in as I love convertibles but could never just own a convertible. It's the same feeling I have with wagon's.

EDIT: Clark what do you think of cars with targa's or t-tops?
clarkma5
For me targas or T-tops really depend on the packaging of the top itself and how useful/easy it is to take the roof on and off while away from the garage. Do you still have trunk space? Also, some designs are better than others when it comes to watertightness.

I appreciate targa and T-tops as a versatile open/shut compromise that offers the best compromise between fixed roof security and comfort and open top motoring. I don't care how big your sunroof is, it still feels very inside compared to a Del Sol fully opened up.

I really see them as a GT sort of option. Longer distances. All-weather touring and travel. I want to get in a well-designed targa and hit the road.
350Z
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 8 2012, 12:07 AM) *

That is comparing apples to oranges if I've ever heard it.

On topic I look at sunroofs in the same way as clarkma really but im not a fan of the convertible option on the whole either, the only real open top motoring I would pursue with my own money is Carrera GT/Koenigsegg style.
clarkma5
The car I want to own is a coupe, but I appreciate convertibles and targas for what they are and forgive them for what they're not. I guess my feeling is that a sunroof is just a really lame attempt to make a coupe do something besides be a coupe and it isn't very successful so I frown on them.

It's not really a vendetta, just a personal preference. I don't begrudge sunroofs being made available, though I am frustrated at how difficult it is to get a car without a sunroof in many cases. I mean, c'mon, how about some choice in the matter?
dukenukem
Just buy a S2000 with a hard top for winter months. Problem solved.
clarkma5
S2000 CR FTW!
Jacob Photo
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Jun 8 2012, 08:37 AM) *
Just buy a S2000 with a hard top for winter months. Problem solved.

You're comparing a FWD 3-door 4-seat hatchback which is available with 0 miles and a full warranty to a RWD 2-door 2-seater roadster that is only available used?

I think that's as apples to oranges as it gets head.gif
dukenukem
This thread has gone past talkin about the veloster and moved on to argueing about moon roofs. In that case a purpose built convertible with easy to put on hardtop makes most sense as you get best of both worlds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.