Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clapton's Ferrari
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Bjorn

I wasn't a huge fan of the P4/5 but this is beautiful.

From Autoblog.com
A few months ago a mystery Ferrari was photographed in a London dealership with various sources all but confirming it was a one-off creation built for musician Eric Clapton. Now Ferrari has made it official, formally unveiling the car named SP12 EC.

Built in cooperation with Ferrari's Special Projects program and Pininfarina, the SP12 EC is essentially a 458 Italia clad with all new body panels inspired by the 512 BB of the late 1970s and early 1980s, of which Clapton has owned three. The musician reportedly wanted one of Ferrari's 6.0-liter V12s squeezed into the engine bay, but all signs indicate that the 458 Italia's 4.5-liter is still in place. The only thing missing is a set of vintage series wheels from HRE.

Ferrari isn't revealing the price tag of Clapton's one-off SP12 EC, but estimates put the tally right around the 3 million mark, which seems to be the going rate for a bespoke supercar from the Italian manufacturer.
shandyman5
I saw it a few days ago and I hate it... It looks like a 458 front mixed with a Testerossa back. Not a fan at all.
OHirtenfelder
I like the idea. But it does look a bit too much like a 458 still, and not enough like 'something special'. I do agree that a proper set of wheels could make a huge difference.
Synesthesia
I like aspects of it but overall, not crazy about it. The various silver/grey bits stick out in a goofy way: the dark grey skirt, silver fins on the hood, fuel filler lid, and the wells, all vying for attention. And at the end of the day, paying that much for custom body work is just stupid.
moe
I think it's the most gorgeous Ferrari since the 456 went out of production. Too bad it isn't a regular production model.
Razor
You know what I've realized, actually? All these one-offs look like HotWheels cars with no character. :-/ This one might actually just need better wheels to make it attractive, but on second looks I'm really not feeling this as much. I think the 458 is far more attractive. So is the FF.
gerrard
3 million? Way too much! I don't like the look at all, furthermore it doesn't look unique enough for it's pricetag.

Mercedes Servicing
clarkma5
QUOTE(Razor @ Jun 3 2012, 01:40 PM) *
You know what I've realized, actually? All these one-offs look like HotWheels cars with no character. :-/ This one might actually just need better wheels to make it attractive, but on second looks I'm really not feeling this as much. I think the 458 is far more attractive. So is the FF.

Yeah the 458 wheels don't fit the character, they're too spindly. I say a heavier looking spoke with an inch less wheel diameter would really set this design off.

QUOTE(gerrard @ Jun 6 2012, 05:15 AM) *
3 million? Way too much! I don't like the look at all, furthermore it doesn't look unique enough for it's pricetag.

3 million pounds because it IS unique. If it doesn't look unique enough, well, that's ferrari for you.
350Z
^I thought that about the wheels, would look good with the ones from the 348.
moe
The "new" Ferrari wheels from the HRE Vintage line would fit the bill.
DaGonz
Slowhand loves fast cars....
gerrard
Lol I still can't believe this, some people have more money than sense
nismo
The two tone cheapens it. I'd like to see it painted all the same color, with black grilles and hood vents. Also, as Clarkma5 said, different wheels.
Konrad Janicki
not their best design but I like the idea, now go and make a modern Testarossa smile.gif
Brian09
Well its looking not bad but the yes i would say the design is similar to 458. Anyhow but the price is 3 million OMG. Thanks for sharing. But can you please tell me that the car is available in market for sale or just in for display? Any other colors?

Thule Roof Racks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.