Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Websites for the car learning
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Phix
I haven't followed the industry or just general car news in a while. What are some good sites for digesting such things? i.e. Autoblog but preferably something not owned by AOL

also, lol @ how dead this place is

lol
350Z
Holy shit it's Phix.
clarkma5
I read a bunch of Edmunds/InsideLine *shrug* Definitely keeps me in the loop. Also subscribe to autocar and evo on youtube.
Razor
I'm the same... I've all but dropped out of car news and happenings, mostly because the once-decent Jalopnik has become a hotseat for flagrant douchebaggery and try-too-hard unfunny idiocy.
Synesthesia
This place used to be the source! I've dropped out too... in the market for a good magazine to subscribe to, let the pretty pathetic but very cheap Car & Driver run out.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ May 22 2012, 08:33 PM) *
This place used to be the source! I've dropped out too... in the market for a good magazine to subscribe to, let the pretty pathetic but very cheap Car & Driver run out.

Back in the Csere days C and D was bar none the best car magazine out there. It is still decent in terms of their comparison issues, but the writing is not what it used to be.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ May 22 2012, 10:48 PM) *
Back in the Csere days C and D was bar none the best car magazine out there. It is still decent in terms of their comparison issues, but the writing is not what it used to be.

Meh, maybe I just got sick of it then. But too much philosophical ranting, minivan comparos, tasteless advertisements, and other boring stuff. I'd like a magazine less focused on the car industry as a whole and more focused on cars that are fun to drive or interesting in some way with interesting bits about racing, old cars, working on cars, history lessons. But that's just me. biggrin.gif
shandyman5
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ May 23 2012, 09:06 AM) *
Meh, maybe I just got sick of it then. But too much philosophical ranting, minivan comparos, tasteless advertisements, and other boring stuff. I'd like a magazine less focused on the car industry as a whole and more focused on cars that are fun to drive or interesting in some way with interesting bits about racing, old cars, working on cars, history lessons. But that's just me. biggrin.gif

I always thought it had rather humorous writing, and I enjoy all of their comparos as I find all of them relevant including wacky stuff like minivans or crossovers as their is a market for them. You won't find a magazine that is like what you want unless you subscribr to Grassroots Motorsport
clarkma5
I was always annoyed at how blatant C&D's biases were back in the day. OMG 3-series. OMG Corvette. OMG 911. I mean, vehicles worthy of praise for sure, it just wasn't a trustworthy journal of opinion to me.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ May 23 2012, 09:28 AM) *
I always thought it had rather humorous writing, and I enjoy all of their comparos as I find all of them relevant including wacky stuff like minivans or crossovers as their is a market for them. You won't find a magazine that is like what you want unless you subscribr to Grassroots Motorsport

I have limited reading time, gotta stick to the really good stuff. wink.gif Anyway, had never heard of them, will check out thumbs_up.gif
Razor
If I'm not mistaken, C&D once had an issue about with a three-way about the Evo X, the STI and the 335xi. They ruled that the 335xi was the best off-road car. I'm not even shitting you. That's when I unsubscribed.
Aircooled
^ lol

I subscribe to Automobile which I think is decent, its not top shelf but what do you wan't for $15 a year. I particularly like Ezra Dyer and Jamie Kitman's columns. Not every one is great but they are usually good with an outstanding column every now and then. I too follow Autocar on youtube and I still check Jalop every few days as well.
Bjorn
I stopped subscribing to Automobile, C&D and R&T after every comparison ended with the line "the X was an amazing car, but we had to give it to the shitbox over here because it was $50,000 cheaper."

Why even run the comparison?

Sports Car International was OK until it became Jay Lamm's personal rag. Under his reign it became a magazine that tested the Elise, 911 and Corvette every freaking issue . . . republished some articles from Europe. I wasn't surprised to hear it shut its doors a few years back.

Now I mainly read the Evo iPad edition.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ May 23 2012, 02:04 PM) *
If I'm not mistaken, C&D once had an issue about with a three-way about the Evo X, the STI and the 335xi. They ruled that the 335xi was the best off-road car. I'm not even shitting you. That's when I unsubscribed.

Show me proof of that we have been subscribers since 1998 and I have never seen that issue ever.
Razor
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ May 24 2012, 12:42 AM) *
Show me proof of that we have been subscribers since 1998 and I have never seen that issue ever.

K, next time I'm home in the presence of all my C&Ds I'll find it. It must have been in the summer to fall 2008 range if I'm not mistaken. The constant C&D trend always was that if there was a BMW in any of the comparos they did, it always fucking won no matter what the criteria was. It was like BMW's dick was surgically attached to the inside of the editor-in-chief's mouth. They fanboi'd BMW so hard it was sickening.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Razor @ May 24 2012, 10:24 AM) *
K, next time I'm home in the presence of all my C&Ds I'll find it. It must have been in the summer to fall 2008 range if I'm not mistaken. The constant C&D trend always was that if there was a BMW in any of the comparos they did, it always fucking won no matter what the criteria was. It was like BMW's dick was surgically attached to the inside of the editor-in-chief's mouth. They fanboi'd BMW so hard it was sickening.

Well I made it easy for you, I looked online today at every comparison test since 2003, and there is no comparo between a WRX/STi and Evo or R32 against a 3-series BMW. I am not sure if you have the wrong magazine or what, but their is no such test from C&D.

Also, the reason "most" BMW's won (not all of them did) is because they were consistently the best driving cars of the bunch. I can safely say without question no car offers the driving feel and experience of a BMW that can be compared to a BMW. No Audi, no Benz drives as connected as a BMW. I think if Moe sees this he will agree with me as well.
moe
I saw it, and BMW does in fact rule supreme (even its current-state of watering-down driver involvement) when it comes to driver involvement over its German peers. Only Infiniti (full-disclosure, I indirectly work for Infiniti through their global ad agency) and Jaguar can compare. I do believe the G35 has bested the 3-series at least once on the pages of C&D, but then again I get all the American magazines mixed up. Ultimately though, I think choosing between a premium car these days is splitting hairs, everything is so damned good. It's all about what you want.

Getting back on topic, I have three main news sources for cars. Autoblog is my day-to-day news source, just because they do it better than anyone else. EVO, because their iPad magazine is top-notch, their writing is truly great, and they have genuinely interesting content. Autocar, because of their access to industry insiders, blogs, and European reviews. On a local level, I pay attention to Motoring Middle East (which used to be Car Magazine's Middle east arm, but Car left the region during the recession), but I doubt that's pertinent to many others on this forum.

I like InsideLine, but their Straightline blog is just too slow with news. Stuff they post is usually available on Autoblog 24 hours ahead. Jalopnik jumped the shark a long time ago. Razor and I completely agree on this. It used to be pretty cool, but now it's...I dunno what it is anymore. What it isn't is clear, it's no longer a blog for car enthusiasts.

Oh, for sheer entertainment value PistonHeads, and Chris Harris's Drive Channel are awesome.

EDIT: I just remembered something. I think I know the comparison Razor's talking about. It was the WRX vs the E46 330xi. It wasn't even an actual comparison, it was a first drive of the WRX (bug-eye I beleive), and C&D saying the xi was a better all-rounder. They throw some bar graphs around comparing the two, but that was about it.

EDIT 2: Nm, here it is: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/bm...omparison-tests
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ May 25 2012, 07:14 AM) *
EDIT: I just remembered something. I think I know the comparison Razor's talking about. It was the WRX vs the E46 330xi. It wasn't even an actual comparison, it was a first drive of the WRX (bug-eye I beleive), and C&D saying the xi was a better all-rounder. They throw some bar graphs around comparing the two, but that was about it.

EDIT 2: Nm, here it is: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/bm...omparison-tests

It wasn't that. It was most definitely with the Evo X, the STI hatch and the 335xi. Maybe it wasn't C&D, but it certainly exists. Next time I'm home I'll raid my archives and find it.

EDIT: And yes, Jalopnik is the fucking Gawker of cars, appropriately. It exists for nothing more than to have shitty filler articles when it's not being used as a medium-userbase smear campaign headquarters for that douchebag Ray Wert's personal vendettas.
clarkma5
I've recently been turned on to "Everyday Driver" on youtube. It's just two guys who don't have any particular car background as far as I can tell besides liking cars and they have a refreshing viewpoint. Instead of nitpicking every last detail of a car compared to its competitors, they step back and talk more about how things feel from an absolute standpoint. They each have their own biases but they're very upfront about them and they back-to-back talk about the cars so you get each of their viewpoints. The camera work's really good, sound could use some work sometimes, but overall it's a really well produced show that gives a nice anti-jaded-journalist perspective. They mix and match talking about new cars and used cars and their focus is what's realistically affordable with a few forays into more exotic machinery (at which point their viewpoint isn't "this aston martin is only 98% as good as a 911 and therefore it FAILS"; it's more "holy shit this aston martin is amazing I'm so glad to be alive and experiencing this", followed by a comment about how, well, the gearbox IS pretty notchy. (or something like that).

Yeah, overall I really like that show so far. I sometimes get lost with how car magazines and most websites don't really couch their discussions in a broader view and just blow up minute differences between segment competitors.
moe
^ haha, a friend of mine from work and I are working on something similar. We just got our first go pro yesterday
Phix
hmm, fascinating
Altostratus
come hangout at my house(apartment) you cunt.

also miss you bitch heart.gif cran.gif
Phix
No you don't. Don't post filthy lies.
350Z
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ May 25 2012, 08:04 PM) *
I've recently been turned on to "Everyday Driver" on youtube. It's just two guys who don't have any particular car background as far as I can tell besides liking cars and they have a refreshing viewpoint. Instead of nitpicking every last detail of a car compared to its competitors, they step back and talk more about how things feel from an absolute standpoint. They each have their own biases but they're very upfront about them and they back-to-back talk about the cars so you get each of their viewpoints. The camera work's really good, sound could use some work sometimes, but overall it's a really well produced show that gives a nice anti-jaded-journalist perspective. They mix and match talking about new cars and used cars and their focus is what's realistically affordable with a few forays into more exotic machinery (at which point their viewpoint isn't "this aston martin is only 98% as good as a 911 and therefore it FAILS"; it's more "holy shit this aston martin is amazing I'm so glad to be alive and experiencing this", followed by a comment about how, well, the gearbox IS pretty notchy. (or something like that).

Yeah, overall I really like that show so far. I sometimes get lost with how car magazines and most websites don't really couch their discussions in a broader view and just blow up minute differences between segment competitors.

Yes! Love Everyday Driver, it's just such a fresh approach to car reviews.

On a side note have you noticed that all of Todds metaphors involve women?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.