Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hispanic street gangs in los angeles
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography
joker69
Hola DS

Here are some teasers of my project. A book will be out in less than two years. I really hope you like them. Some of you live in LA and some of you visit LA frequently. But maybe you've never seen this in the city of angels.

(Varrio Lokotes Watts)

(Hawthorne 13 lil Watts Gang)

(Hawthorne 13 lil Watts Gang)

(Florencia13 lil Rascals clique)

(Florencia13 Gangsters clique)

(Avenues Drew Street clique)

(ES nd WS Primera Flats)

(WS Primera Flats 23rd street clique)

(MS-13 francis locos clique)

(MS-13 francis locos clique)

(Echo Park Locos)

(SS Playboys Enanos clique)

(ex-member of WS Playboys Gang)

(WS the Block)

(Whittier DeadEnd Locos)

"overlooking" (Varrio Geraghty Lomas)

(Varrio Geraghty Lomas)

"paying respect" (Whittier Deadend Locos)

"R.I.P" (Whittier Deadend Locos)

"watch out" (Sly of Toonerville13)

"smoking wax" (south side playboys enanos click)

i really hope you like those pictures. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

You can find more on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/andresherrenphotography

or on my website: http://andresherren.com

alrato

Andres
Daz
They are nice shots but they aren't your usual tough gritty images that I like. The high key on some of them makes them look all wrong considering they are meant to be tough gang members.
joker69
thanks Daz for your Feedback. All those pictures are taken during bright sunlight. So it was hard to get that gritty look. I think the white background makes them look softer.
You're right that they're tuff gangbangers, but i don't wanted to look them meaner that they are.

btw the white background is from the prints. i think they would look grittier with a black background.

andres
OHirtenfelder
I agree with what Daz has said.
I'm keen to see what the book will look like.

I have some questions, that I'd appreciate if you answered (if you can), because I'm fairly ignorant and clueless when it comes to these Hispanic gangs...

Do these dudes have jobs? Or are they genuine gangsters, as in robbers, drug dealers, thieves, in other words criminals?
Have any of these dudes killed or raped people?
You have images of a few different gangs/cliques here. Are these rival cliques? Do they fight/hate/kill each other?
How did you get in with these gangs?
Does any sketchy shit (criminal activity) happen while you're there with them?

Sorry for the questions, but the only shit I know about the gangs are the stuff the movies portray, and I'm fairly certain that a lot of that is for the sake of the movie.

Thanks
DonJuanMair
i actually really like the white, its a real cool touch you don't see too often in portraits, i love these. If i took you two years, i wonder how many have died since.

Great job, il buy the book! you're producing one right?
Pendulum
Wow, some great stuff in here. I might have to contact you about a print or two in the near future.
HKYStormFront
really feeling the vibe/setting in these. great job mane!
Swams555
By hispanic you mean mexican... I'm pretty sure all those gangs are mexico affiliated haha.. Nice shots tho
Seethegrim
I have no idea how you're not dead yet. But then again, my ignorance about LA gangs is as much as Oliver's.
joker69
Thank ya'll for your comments and critism. I'd like to answer some questions

@OHirtenfelder
I don't wanna tell which Gangster made which criminal act, but i can tell you in general.

Do these dudes have jobs? Or are they genuine gangsters, as in robbers, drug dealers, thieves, in other words criminals?
=> Some of em have a normal daytime job, some of em work on the streets. The means collecting taxes, selling narco, extortion oder other things...

Have any of these dudes killed or raped people?
=> Yes, at least two of em killed someone. One of em killed his first rival at age 12. Do they don't rape. The gang internal laws forbid rapes. I know a homie who stabbed his cell mate because he was a rapist.

You have images of a few different gangs/cliques here. Are these rival cliques? Do they fight/hate/kill each other?
=> Yes all of em are from different gangs or cliques. Some of em are rivals. LA county, SGV, SFV is a huuge area. Maybe a gang from the sgv don't care about a gang in south central. But yes, i shoot some rival gangs and they do kill eachother. Example MS-13 vs 18th Street

How did you get in with these gangs?
=> It depends from gang to gang. Sometimes i drove around those neighborhoods (varrios) and when i saw a gangmember i approached him. Some gangs asked me to shoot.

Does any sketchy shit (criminal activity) happen while you're there with them?
=> Yes, i saw a lot of bullshit going on

Bout the book. It will look different. These picturese here are just portraits and they look this way cause of an exhibition. I gonna show more of theyr lifestyle, varrios, houses in the book.

@DonJuanMair

Thanks mate. The book gonna be released in two years.

@Pendulum

Would be great. I have several prints for sale.

@Swams555

Not all of em are mexicanos or chicanos. Like MS-13 or 18th Street has a lot members from central america

@Seethegrim

Yeah, i had 2-3 horrible situations. Sometimes i tought my life's over now.

Thank you all for your comments. And sorry for my bad english

Andres
DonJuanMair
will there be any stories to go along side the pics?
joker69
Yes i gonna tell stories about some gangmembers. Some historical information and i wanna tell about theyr situation (business, location, enemies and more)
daniele fontanin
you know that i LOVE your pics SOO much Andres. I'm so happy about the result of your works. As for Anthony: I'm waiting for the book man!!!!!
Synesthesia
Pretty extraordinary project, very nice work. I'm interested to see the final result. I'll just say good luck with the editing process. Deciding which photos should be included and which should not is really tough, get the opinions of others, think extra hard about the photos that people are saying are not as good.
OHirtenfelder
Andres, thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.

I wasn't asking who did what, so yeah, you answered the question the way I had intended.

Just another thing about the whole rival gangs thing...do they know that you shoot the rival gangs? How do they feel about it? Don't some of them think that maybe you're siding with the one gang and you're trying to find out stuff about the others, or some bullshit like that?

Thanks again, for answering the questions, and for sharing your images (especially the ones of those incredibly hot women DS_Naughty2.gif )
C3Photography
Looking forward to the book man.

I have been an avid fan of your work.

The LA/Barrio lifestyle has always captured my attention - I'd be scared shitless to approach any of these guys...lol.
dynadesign.nu
this looks just awesome. It will surely be a pure work of art when you release that book.
Any prereleases/signed ones for us DS'ers? =)
Rhian
I dig the series. Would really like to see some of those lifestyle photos smile.gif
KillerBlackbird
Amazing work, joker. I can only imagine what you have seen and heard.

I bet some of those guys are probably pretty friendly and others not so much haha.
Blue Devil
Dude... like I have said before.. always great stuff and I love to see these portraits... it looks like you are deep in there with them... you have managed to gain their trust (to some level)

Anyway... I wanted to point out 1 little thing. It's Barrios... instead of varrios. I might not be a gang member but Spanish is my 1st language. So, if you ever have any questions regarding it let me know.. and keep it up man... smile.gif

joker69
@Hirtenfelder
Yeah i always played with an open hand (poker). I told em which gangs i gonna shoot, what i use the pictures for an all. Word goes fast in LA. So it would be dumb to have secrets. And it's all bout respect.
Some of em didn't like the fact that i shot theyr rivals, but at the end of the day, they told me it's not my fight. So i should do what i should to. But most of em took the opportunity to blame theyr rivals.

It's pretty crazy. Some members of 18th street gang ink the name of they enemis and cross it out.

@Blue Devil
Thank you man. Yeah that's not right. Barrio stands for neighborhood. But gangs called it varrio. Example: VNE = Varrio Nuestra Estrada
Many of the gangs say varrio for theyr gang or neighborhood. But you're right. The correct translation of neighborhood is barrio

@All

Thank you very much for your feedback
Blue Devil
QUOTE(joker69 @ Apr 26 2012, 09:57 AM) *
@Blue Devil
Thank you man. Yeah that's not right. Barrio stands for neighborhood. But gangs called it varrio. Example: VNE = Varrio Nuestra Estrada
Many of the gangs say varrio for theyr gang or neighborhood. But you're right. The correct translation of neighborhood is barrio

Then I stand corrected.. i don't want to be shot in the head... it's Varrios! lol
Swams555
Thanks for the Insight man definitely noted.. you got some balls doing what you do Not that the Gangs are always dangerous but I know they can be and not alot of them want to be identified... pretty cool project..
and I love that you replied to everyone .... Cant Wait for the BOOK!!!!
joker69
@Swams555
Thank man. Just a small percent of the gangbangers are straight killas. Most of em are not. Of course i had several crazy moments in LA but i'm still around.

joker69
a little update...

"overlooking" (Varrio Geraghty Lomas)

(Varrio Geraghty Lomas)

"paying respect" (Whittier Deadend Locos)

"R.I.P" (Whittier Deadend Locos)
MichaelKalbo
Awesome work Andres. As someone said they aren't that gritty but I love them, there a bit of irony in seeing guys that we are so use to seeing in the dark light be photographed this way. *hope that makes sense.
Regardless awesome work, and much respect for having the balls to go out there and shoot these guys.
joker69
Hey Michael

Thank you for your words. I don't understand the word gritty. I think my photo show em how they live in 201X. Back in the days it was different.
BillLee
these look great. just took a look at your website and you have amazing images.
joker69
thank you very much @BillLee

here are some other pictures from this series:

Florencia13 graffiti, south los angeles:

Toonerville Rifa, north east los angeles:

"hell hole" hang out spot of the EchoPark Locos Gang, echo park los angeles:

"wall banging", south los angeles:

more pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/andresherrenphotography
joker69
I will display some pictures of this serie at the milano tatto convention. Maybe some of you is interested in. Here's the link: http://www.milanotattooconvention.it/index...-of-los-angeles
daniele fontanin
that's great Andres!
Will you be in milano for the event?
joker69
@Daniele

I gonna be there on saturday and sunday afternoon
daniele fontanin
great! I hope to be able to be in Milan too on saturday!
joker69
would be great to meet you in person
joker69
here a lil update after a long time...

"watch out" (Sly of Toonerville13)

"smoking wax" (south side playboys enanos click)

more can be found here:

facebook: http://facebook.com/andresherrenphotography
Instagram: andresherren

stay safe!

Andres
e30_324d
Great job man, well done !

I think it was not an easy job to ask those gang members to stay in front of your lens, right ?

I realy like those pictures !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.