Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 911 RSR
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
speedyK
Thought this, which I saw last weekend at my local Porsche Centre, might be of interest to some...

1973 911 2.8 RSR

Weight 780kg
Bhp 280

That power-to-weight ratio combined with the rear engine must make it very lively.

I had my little Panasonic TZ7 pocket cam with me.
I'll start with some detail shots and progress thumbs_up.gif

What I really was there for was to look over the 991 S.

The biggest let-down was that the sunroof doesn't seem much bigger subjectively from inside the car. In fact, I was so unconvinced that this really offers anything worthwhile for me, that I didn't bother with a test drive in the end.

The new centre console makes it seem bigger – which does not add to the sporty, compact 911 atmosphere.

The reports about the feel through the new electric steering not being as rewarding are also not positive. I'm sure it is OK, but - again for me - it's not worth paying megabucks for a new 991 4S for the improvements.

I'll stick with the 997 for now – it does all I need

Perhaps the 997 will start to be seen as the last truly "Porsche" 911 with time – and be valued accordingly. Maybe I should hold on to it long term?
Bjorn
I dunno. Every few generations people harold the incoming model as the death of the "real 911."

964 did that. 996 did that. My guess is that the 991 will sell even better than the 997, and expand the 911's appeal.

I would like to see Porsche acknowledge that the electric steering rack is a step in the wrong direction for some of their customers though, and offer a hydraulic rack as an option.
speedyK
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Apr 19 2012, 06:37 PM) *
I dunno. Every few generations people harold the incoming model as the death of the "real 911."

964 did that. 996 did that. My guess is that the 911 will sell even better than the 997, and expand the 911's appeal.

I agree with all these points thumbs_up.gif

But there are always those who hold onto the view that a certain 991 generation is the best. I spoke with a friend at that event where I shot the RSR who owns a 964. This 991 is just fine for every day use he said, but for him a real 991 is air-cooled (and he's had most that are available). Others see the 993 as a good mix of modern and exciting – there are those who have sold a 996 or 997 to return to a 993 because it feels faster – even at slower speeds.

I can see the attitude to the 997 going the same way as the 911 continues to grow more refined and GT-like – and thereby perhaps too "Gran Turismo" and too little "sports car" for some. It could even retrospectively be hailed as the best pre-VW 911 with time.

Of course, as long as the 991 sells (and it will!), Porsche doesn't have to worry.*

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Apr 19 2012, 06:37 PM) *
I would like to see Porsche acknowledge that the electric steering rack is a step in the wrong direction for some of their customers though, and offer a hydraulic rack as an option.

Don't hold your breath! biggrin.gif If Walter Röhrl says the new one is now (after a great deal of testing and tweaking) good enough for the 991 GT3, etc., it ain't going to happen.

* Perhaps they have to worry more that the brand name and image is being diluted by ever greater sales of Cayennes – and the new small SUV will exacerbate this. The new sub-Boxster 2-seater can't come soon enough to get the "sports car" message across to new buyers.

clarkma5
I find it interesting that the consensus seems to be that the EPAS in the 981 is a much smaller loss compared to the 987's hydraulic rack compared to the 991/997 comparison. Something to do with how much you depend on steering feel to get the most out of a 911 whereas the mid-engined Boxster/Cayman is more about feeling it through the seat of your pants than the palms of your hands.

Overall though every reviewer says the 991 is better than the 997 dynamically and in terms of refinement. I've heard a couple people say that it's lost some of its quirkiness that appeals to 911 fans but overall it's "they made is comfier AND a more rewarding drive at the same time".
Halflifehavock13
Electric steering may feel numb right now, but I think it's only a matter of time before they perfect it and it will be on par with hydraulic.
RallyCat909
When looking at the pics of the RSR and the following pics, in the former I see a hot, young sexy college age lass ready for whatever the road throws at her, lively and adventurous, and looking good from every conceivable angle in the process.

The pics of the 991 make me think of a once great actress that gets seedy parts in b-movies because shes still pretty hot, but only because you can look look past the collagen injections, the fake tits, the hair fried by too much highlighting and color changing, all too achieve the same effect.

Its not pure, there is technology to replace the soul the RSR does naturally. Then you look at the interior of the 991 and realize you are trapped in marriage you only thought you would consider in the first place.
moe
^ Haha, I like the analogy, but I think the 911 went from being the fun girl-next-door to a supermodel. I'm starting to think the new one is a little too perfect for me. I mean seriously, what's wrong with it now? Subjective "911-ness" may have been compromised, but it's objectively better in every way. I'd argue the car is faultless now.
dukenukem
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 22 2012, 05:21 AM) *
^ Haha, I like the analogy, but I think the 911 went from being the fun girl-next-door to a supermodel. I'm starting to think the new one is a little too perfect for me. I mean seriously, what's wrong with it now? Subjective "911-ness" may have been compromised, but it's objectively better in every way. I'd argue the car is faultless now.

Shittier steering feel.
clarkma5
Also have heard a lot of complaints about the shift quality of the 7-speed manual, actually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.