Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: and HERE is the new Viper
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Diesel
I guess there's nothing wrong with it.. but it just doesn't say Viper to me. It sorta looks like some sort of italian no name concept student design study or something.

Press release and wallpapers: http://www.speed-driven.com/index.php/12-d...-fully-unveiled

BORKED
clarkma5
Yeah looks more Ferrari than Viper.
Bjorn
I was thinking Panoz.

Is this based on the 8C?
Razor
Panoz, California, Viper and 8C genetic splicing.
clarkma5
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2...-srt-viper.html

Alright this thing definitely sounds like a tasty bit of kit, and looks more Viper-ish when you're not just looking at the front 3/4s IMO. Though when it says "30 percent less curb weight than the previous viper", I think they mean 30 pounds.

It still has an 8.4-liter V10, but it now generates 640 horsepower and 600 pound-feet of torque. The other big number? 3,297. That's the Viper's curb weight when equipped with the optional Track Pack. Standard models will tip the scales at 3,354 pounds, or roughly 30 percent less than the previous Viper. Thank a multitude of carbon fiber and aluminum body panels for the bulk of the weight reduction, although the engine has been slimmed down by 28 pounds as well.

Its all-new frame is said to be 50% stiffer than before and it rides on a set of specially developed Pirelli tires that measure 355mm wide out back and 295mm in front. It has standard launch control and stability control, both of which can be fully turned off. An adjustable suspension will also be available.

There will be two versions this time around a more aggressive, stripped-down base model and a loaded GTS. The GTS will get unique wheels, the adjustable suspension, a slightly different hood and leather interior trim.

dukenukem
Standard models will tip the scales at 3,354 pounds, or roughly 30 percent less than the previous Viper.

Someone failed math. Old viper didnt weigh 4360 lbs.
350Z
Old one weighed 3460, think someone swapped the 4 and the 3?
Diesel
from Forza 4

BORKED
clarkma5
And they're already taking it racing starting mid-season in ALMS http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98595

dukenukem
QUOTE(350Z @ Apr 4 2012, 01:40 PM) *
Old one weighed 3460, think someone swapped the 4 and the 3?

The original quote should have said 3%.
shandyman5
I love the look of the side, interior and rear. The front is very Italian to me.
clarkma5
More pics of the outside, inside, and race version

thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif if this thing is even remotely close in price to the old one, it's gonna be a fucking steal.
shandyman5
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 4 2012, 05:20 PM) *
More pics of the outside, inside, and race version

thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif if this thing is even remotely close in price to the old one, it's gonna be a fucking steal.

I heard it is supposed to start at a 100K base, so it will be a decent price increase.
clarkma5
That still counts as "remotely close" in my book. With several years of inflation, more power, swoopier styling, carbon fiber bits in the chassis, etc. involved I honestly would not have been surprised if they stickered it for closer to $150k. For $100k this thing will compete with the 911 Turbo quite easily for tens of thousands less. So yeah, this for car $100k is a "steal".
bobo27
The only thing I don't like is those headlights.. way too feminine for such an aggressive car. Other than that

Razor
No longer has a kit-car interior. Maybe GM should ask for some advice from them!
dukenukem
QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 4 2012, 05:41 PM) *
No longer has a kit-car interior. Maybe GM should ask for some advice from them!

Just pray the interior isn't built by Fiat. The 500 has some of the nastiest interior I have ever seen/ touched. Worse than 90s GM products.
shandyman5
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Apr 4 2012, 06:28 PM) *
That still counts as "remotely close" in my book. With several years of inflation, more power, swoopier styling, carbon fiber bits in the chassis, etc. involved I honestly would not have been surprised if they stickered it for closer to $150k. For $100k this thing will compete with the 911 Turbo quite easily for tens of thousands less. So yeah, this for car $100k is a "steal".

Fair enough... I see where you're coming from. X.gif

QUOTE(Razor @ Apr 4 2012, 06:41 PM) *

Look at everything new GM is coming out with... As much as I am not a fan of GM, everything new has been spectacular post-Government Motors.
DB9
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Apr 4 2012, 07:46 PM) *
Fair enough... I see where you're coming from. X.gif

Look at everything new GM is coming out with... As much as I am not a fan of GM, everything new has been spectacular post-Government Motors.

I think "new" Chrysler/Dodge has been a lot more impressive than "new" GM so far. And Ford is already years ahead of them both in terms of quality. GM is just now catching up with the other two.
shandyman5
QUOTE(DB9 @ Apr 4 2012, 10:55 PM) *
I think "new" Chrysler/Dodge has been a lot more impressive than "new" GM so far. And Ford is already years ahead of them both in terms of quality. GM is just now catching up with the other two.

Agreed, but old Chrysler was a thousand times worse than old GM... But I see your point.
moe
I think it's one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever seen.
Razor
QUOTE(moe @ Apr 5 2012, 01:49 AM) *
I think it's one of the most gorgeous cars I've ever seen.

Smitten at first sight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.