Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would it take to get you into an electric car?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Diesel
What would it take to get you into an electric car? Cost? Styling? Value? Size?

I personally would not mind driving an electric car if it were cheap and looked great. I love the idea of the Chevy Volt, but i don't like the execution. It just seems too big, too costly, and kinda ugly to me. However, i would definitely drive something like the VW Up if it were available in the US (not likely), and had the same thinking as the Volt. As in full electric most of the time but with a backup generator running on gas so i'm not stranded.

I also like that it's smaller so it'll be more efficient, and yet still handsomely styled and well built.

Or for something sleeker, i'll definitely drive the VW Up Lite

and the Honda N 4 Concept

basically.. keep it cheap ($25kish), stylish, and small and don't leave me stranded.
dukenukem
I would buy a Volt if the only other options were the 3 cars you posted.

Actually, I have driven the Volt and for what it is, its a great car. Decent pick up, decent body roll control and brakes. The interior fit and finish is lacking but overall its not too bad. If I can get one for $30k-35k I wouldn't mind driving it daily.
OHirtenfelder
I wouldn't have any issues driving an electric car. As long as I still have something fun to drive on the weekend (such as my awesome 2002), I'd be more than happy to do my 'commuting' in a EV.

My issue is that I do a fair amount of driving, often with not much time in between coming and going (not enough charge time), and in SA, the distances are quite far between your average places. I would imagine the states to be similar, whereas in Europe (a big part of it at least) so much stuff is done within a 10km radius of one's house.

That UP is a sexy little car in my eyes, EV or not.
dukenukem
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Mar 28 2012, 02:13 PM) *
I wouldn't have any issues driving an electric car. As long as I still have something fun to drive on the weekend (such as my awesome 2002), I'd be more than happy to do my 'commuting' in a EV.

My issue is that I do a fair amount of driving, often with not much time in between coming and going (not enough charge time), and in SA, the distances are quite far between your average places. I would imagine the states to be similar, whereas in Europe (a big part of it at least) so much stuff is done within a 10km radius of one's house.

That UP is a sexy little car in my eyes, EV or not.

this is why i like the Volt. All the benefits of a EV in a decent compact sedan with the range bigger than that of a regular petrol/ diesel powered car.
clarkma5
If I could have something like a Mazda2 that was electric with a real-world ~50 miles range, 220V charging, and under $20k by a decent amount I could definitely see buying one as a commuter and city car. The i-Miev is too cheesy and golf cart like. The Leaf is pretty darned close, take a few grand off the price and put a little more emphasis on suspension dynamics and I'm there, honestly.

I just gotta have the gas engined fun car for the weekends on the side, though.

I'm not very interested in the Volt, personally, I guess it seems silly to me to waste battery charge hauling around a gas engine and fuel when you've got an electric range that's adequate for most trips. I'd rather save the resources and pick up a gasoline powered second car for range AND fun.
dukenukem
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 28 2012, 02:47 PM) *
If I could have something like a Mazda2 that was electric with a real-world ~50 miles range, 220V charging, and under $20k by a decent amount I could definitely see buying one as a commuter and city car. The i-Miev is too cheesy and golf cart like. The Leaf is pretty darned close, take a few grand off the price and put a little more emphasis on suspension dynamics and I'm there, honestly.

I just gotta have the gas engined fun car for the weekends on the side, though.

I'm not very interested in the Volt, personally, I guess it seems silly to me to waste battery charge hauling around a gas engine and fuel when you've got an electric range that's adequate for most trips. I'd rather save the resources and pick up a gasoline powered second car for range AND fun.

It makes sense if your daily commute is more than the realistic mileage of current EV cars.
clarkma5
I agree, but my commute's short (20 miles round trip, ~15 minutes each way) and, after having a long commute for awhile, I'm going to endeavor to keep my commute a reasonable (easily within EV range) distance as much as possible moving forward. So with that said, a realistic 50 mile full-charge range is plenty to keep me happy without range anxiety.

If my commute were long enough to push me out of an EV, I think I'd lean toward a Prius plug-in over a Volt. Yes, the Volt is the nicer car, but the Prius is significantly cheaper to buy (32k versus 40k) and I'm guessing that with the Prius name behind it it's going to win out in depreciation too. But both of those choices are too expensive for me to not just get a nice economy car for the high teens that gets 30-something MPG.
Synesthesia
^And the fact that they've had a lot of time to refine the Prius.

At the moment I have personally no use for an EV, biking to work is just too easy. If I had a more significant commute though, I'd only get an EV only if it was CHEAP (unless I was in the financial situation to buy one because they're "cool"). Many of the small new cars out there that would be great for commuting get fantastic mileage already and are very inexpensive, so the EVs are up against a lot.
MustangAficionado
What most people don't realize: a house, garage, and 220V access.
There's a lot of street and parking garage people in this world. Def a one of two cars situation as well if you ask me.
clarkma5
Very good point, Mustang. And a sad point too because they would be best for people in the city who can't often access those things within their means due to higher cost of living in densely populated areas.

Parking spots are at a premium in major urban centers.
Matt_L
A freaking manual gearbox!!! I know a sports car company came up with a concept lately (Morgan?) that had a manuel gearbox.

I drove a Tesla Roadster and as much as the acceleration is impressive, it's not as fun as a car with a manual transmission.

EDIT it is Morgan indeed, more info and pics : http://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/download...ressrelease.pdf

clarkma5
Most electric cars only need 1-speed gearboxes because they have the same torque output at all motor speeds O_o
Matt_L
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 29 2012, 11:54 AM) *
Most electric cars only need 1-speed gearboxes because they have the same torque output at all motor speeds O_o

Yes I know that, I don't like CVT transmission and an electric car kinda act the same in term of feeling, that's why I want a manual gearbox. I know CVT and electric are super effective, but I dislike it! Driving an automatic car is already boring as it is, an electric automatic car is worse since the car doesn't do any noise...
shandyman5
I drove the Volt yesterday actually around Penn State's 1 mile oval test track... I was unimpressed. Also, I agree with the manual gearbox. I would definitely get the Leaf as a commuter car, I love the idea of it for a small commute. That plus a '13 GT500 would make me a happy camper. Our engineering program is actually building a 4-speed manual electric Pontiac Fiero, it is a really cool project. I have a write up planned for that as well. Also we are starting work on the Eco-Car Challenge 2 with the new Chevy Malibu.
Synesthesia
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 29 2012, 11:54 AM) *

Really? Same torque? How do they manage that? Any electric motor I've ever used has a torque output that is more like inversely proportional to velocity.

QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 29 2012, 02:21 PM) *
I drove the Volt yesterday actually around Penn State's 1 mile oval test track... I was unimpressed. Also, I agree with the manual gearbox. I would definitely get the Leaf as a commuter car, I love the idea of it for a small commute. That plus a '13 GT500 would make me a happy camper. Our engineering program is actually building a 4-speed manual electric Pontiac Fiero, it is a really cool project. I have a write up planned for that as well. Also we are starting work on the Eco-Car Challenge 2 with the new Chevy Malibu.

That sounds like awesome fun!
Sandra Jolly
I think VW is a great concept car, its has functionality, its small, stylish with a host of great designs, and will surely bring an eye to the brand from the youth.
Hire electric car sound interesting, If we consider the global warming this is another step to reduce it. As car hire takes place on large scale every were.
Razor
Guys. Are you seriously talking about putting a manual transmission into something that actually has NO functional reason for having one?

Seriously?
shandyman5
There was no functional reason to have DSG in an R model VW... I guess that's why they booted it.
911xx
It would be as dumb as putting engine noise in the speakers of an M5.... oh wait..
Synesthesia
QUOTE(911xx @ Mar 30 2012, 04:36 PM) *
It would be as dumb as putting engine noise in the speakers of an M5.... oh wait..

Seriously, wtf?
Bjorn
Don't GTI's have a tube that goes from the intake into the cabin for induction noise?

I kinda remember Bombe3r talking about removing his.
Aircooled
Manual gearbox as well. It doesn't matter that it doesn't need one, it just makes it more enjoyable
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 30 2012, 06:37 PM) *
Don't GTI's have a tube that goes from the intake into the cabin for induction noise?

I kinda remember Bombe3r talking about removing his.

A lot of cars are adding the cabin intake noise tube.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.