Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me . . .
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
Bjorn
I know it's their first race (and I remember how bad the beeb was on it's first race) but I really don't like the new SKY coverage of F1.

Martin Brundle and DC contrasted nicely, the new guy (can't be bothered to look up his name) is calling the race like a football match.

And the sound is fucked. Maybe I'm more sensitive to this, but the levels are all over the place.

Finally, I'm sorry, but Damon Hill is not who I want to watch walking down the pit lane. Humphry, DC and EJ had a dynamic that was interesting. The new crew is just dull.

I'm hoping that the BBC highlights will be enough for races they don't directly cover.

/rant
clarkma5
David Croft is the other guy (another DC, I'm guessing the DC you're referring to is David Coulthard), and I liked him a lot when he did the 5live F1 coverage, but it sounds like they told him to yell louder and be more excited this time and yeah it's over the top.

I hate Eddie Jordan, he makes me want to jam an icepick in his eyesocket everytime he talks. I respect what he did as a team owner, and he's not stupid I'm sure, but he says so many totally idiotic things. I really hate his habit of being adamantly for or against something and then two minutes later COMPLETELY contradicting himself.

Note: haven't watched the race yet, just quali.
Bjorn
I agree 100% on EJ, but I always felt that the stupid things he said offered an important perspective (the rich douche perspective?). I loved how Coulthard and Humphry were never afraid to tell him he was talking out of his ass.

UPDATE:

I watched the BBC "highlights." It was the entire race, just not live. For those of us who download this is a really good option. No Martin Bundle, but it had Humphry, DC and EJ.

The only part missing is the pre-show . . . which is disappointing, but I will gladly exchange that for good quality BBC coverage.
dukenukem
Watch ALMS. Much better commentary and racing.
Bjorn
I don't have 6 hours.

I might try and attend the race at Road America this year depending on if I'm employed or not.
tune
I thought the Sky coverage was OK. If anything I think they've gone a bit over the top, they've really gone at it hard. But their features are equal to the BBC.

Simon Lazenby is ok, but I prefer Jake Humphrey and the team. Haven't got a problem with Damon Hill really, I think his thoughts and comments were relevant.

I think David Croft struggled in the commentary booth, maybe he was nervous, he shouldn't be it's not like he hasn't done it before. He reminded me of John Legard a bit, in that he panicked and regularly miscalled drivers/cars/incidents.

When they are live I will aim to watch the BBC coverage instead. Who's in the commentary box for BBC?
Bjorn
It's Coulthard and Ben Edwards.

Edwards is OK, kind of like Martin Brundle but without the direct knowledge.

I wonder why Brundle moved to SKY. Maybe after some of the "being fired" comments he made on air last year the beeb told him to take a hike.

In terms of the sky coverage, I'm sure it will get better. If you look back long enough I'm sure you could find a post of me saying the same things about the BBC coverage when it first began. That being said, I think the BBC reached a really high level of excellence in the 2012 season, and I have my doubts that a commercial station will be able to reach that same standard.

As for Hill, maybe it's not him, but the team. Humphry, DC and EJ had a dynamic that played to their personalities. Hill just doesn't seem to have that in the new team.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 19 2012, 10:56 PM) *
I don't have 6 hours.

I might try and attend the race at Road America this year depending on if I'm employed or not.

Not all races are 6 hrs long.
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 20 2012, 02:12 PM) *
Not all races are 6 hrs long.

QFT. Lime Rock is less than two hours, as are a ton of other races in this series.
clarkma5
So after watching the race, thought it was basically on par with the BBC at least in terms of pure commentary. Yeah Croft miscalled a lot of cars, but then again Brundle and Coulthard made a lot of mistakes like that too last year. It's way better than Legard. I do hope Croft calms down a little bit more (he already seemed a lot calmer during the race than during quali). I found Hill's insight to be rather superficial and Lazenby to be dull. I'd rather see JH and DC in that role (not EJ) but whatever, as much F1 coverage as I absorb I usually skip the immediately-after-the-race-debrief because I already know everything they're talking about.
tune
I think Brundle was quoted as saying something like he wanted to be with the live coverage and the main program.

skr
I watched the BBC highlights of qualifying, which had Ben Edwards and DC.. Ben is a very familiar voice to me, as he does narration for the official FIA Formua 1 review DVDs. Seems okay, to me. I also watched the Sky feed of the race and I do appreciate the excitement. However, it WAS a great race anyway with lots of overtaking.
clarkma5
I like Ben Edwards alright, he does the BTCC commentary along with another guy whose name I don't remember.

My favorite motorsport commentary team remains David Croft and Anthony Davidson from the last couple years of 5live F1 Free Practice coverage. They have a natural, easy-going chemistry that's often pretty funny and I like how Davidson explains things in a middle-of-the-road sorta way that doesn't leave less knowledgeable viewers in the dust while still being technically accurate and insightful for more committed enthusiasts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.