Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VolvoSaur
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
MoroccanSpice
Well, I've been looking for a decent Volvo 240, or 245 for about a year now. The ones that I have found were rusted beyong belief, salvaged, needed new motors, or just plain over priced. I just wanted something decent, that didn't need much work, that has potential. After months and months of searching, I lost hope. So I put out a wanted add on Kijiji. Two months later, I get a response that seems legit. Call up the guy, chat for a bit and discovered it's a blue, 5spd, 91' 245 Wagon, and he wanted $1000. I almost lost it, because it seemed too perfect. After sending me over 20 photos, I knew I needed to have it.

Now, unfortunately the car was three hours away from my city and there was a terrible snow storm that hit, hard. So, three of my best friends and I jumped into our friends 5-series, and went to go pick her up. As lame as it sounds, I almost fainted when I finally saw this Volvo in person. It was 100% exactly the same as the pictures, virtually no rust, a small dent, and everything was in really good shape.......except for the fact that it had no rear window sad.gif which was fine because that was the first thing the owner told me.

Anyway, we finished the deal, I explained my story to him, and he was suprised that a young guy such as myself would want a Volvo. I had to tell him, that my first car was a '79 244DL sedan, that saved my life. After that, Volvo had won my business forever.

I'll shut up now, and let the pictures tell the rest of my story.

As for as mods go, I haven't done much. Mostly just maintenance stuff to make sure it lasts, and it's safe really. But I did lower it 1.75" in the front, and 1.5" in the back. New exhaust and sway bars come in this week. And next year, I will make it faster. This is the first 4cyl I've ever owned and I hate it. Sooooooooooo bloody slow, especially up hill. I'm thinking a V8 or V10 swap, or turbo it. Haven't decided.

Comments and critiques are always appreciated. Even if you hate it, leave a comment.

Thanks y'all!

-Zach
fiber optic
I love it. I regularly search craigslist for Volvo wagons but the selection is VERY slim. There was a sweet white 240 that was less than $1000 if I remember correctly. I didn't have a place to park it. Now I've got my new garage but I don't have $1000.

As far as motor swap or turbo I'd probably go with which was less expensive. It may be similar, a good turbo with all the other necessary upgrades could easily be a few thousand dollars. Even a used V8 will cost a few hundred then more if it needs any machine work and parts. Then all the work to install it, maybe an upgraded trans and rear axle.
Synesthesia
Sweet! Love the color.
Bjorn
You're living my dream.
shandyman5
Awesome car man! Love the last picture.... If you slap a small turbo on with an intercooler, I am sure you would see the power levels you desire with out internal work.
MoroccanSpice
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Mar 14 2012, 07:44 AM) *
I love it. I regularly search craigslist for Volvo wagons but the selection is VERY slim. There was a sweet white 240 that was less than $1000 if I remember correctly. I didn't have a place to park it. Now I've got my new garage but I don't have $1000.

As far as motor swap or turbo I'd probably go with which was less expensive. It may be similar, a good turbo with all the other necessary upgrades could easily be a few thousand dollars. Even a used V8 will cost a few hundred then more if it needs any machine work and parts. Then all the work to install it, maybe an upgraded trans and rear axle.

Sweet. What was the body like?

True. It would be a big investment, and lots of hours custom fabbing mounts and such.

QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Mar 14 2012, 08:28 AM) *
Sweet! Love the color.

Thanks Synesthesia!

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 14 2012, 08:42 AM) *
You're living my dream.

Hahaha, you want a Volvo wagon as well?

QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 14 2012, 09:55 AM) *
Awesome car man! Love the last picture.... If you slap a small turbo on with an intercooler, I am sure you would see the power levels you desire with out internal work.

Thanks shandyman5. Yeah, seems a lot of people agree that the turbo is the best idea. Build up the motor so it can handle it first.

More photos here:VolvoSaur on Flickr

Thanks a lot for the comments/advice everyone!
fiber optic
QUOTE(MoroccanSpice @ Mar 14 2012, 07:23 PM) *
Sweet. What was the body like?

True. It would be a big investment, and lots of hours custom fabbing mounts and such.

Thanks a lot for the comments/advice everyone!

I only saw the small pics on craigslist. Didn't bother to check it out. It had a blown motor which is why they were selling it. That was making me not feel guilty for thoughts of LS1.
MustangAficionado
My roomie and I megasquiterted his old volvo plus a 4V head and this:

seen here:
Bjorn
QUOTE(MoroccanSpice @ Mar 14 2012, 07:23 PM) *
Hahaha, you want a Volvo wagon as well?

Yeah, I would love an old 245 with a V8. If you're willing to wait, seems like you can find pretty nice examples for not a lot of coin (As you demonstrated), and seems like there are how-tos for putting SBCs into everything that rolls.
Mr b00st
I would look into a factory turbo conversion. Check out the forums at turbobricks - that seems to be where the knowledge is. I think a 2.3 "red block" from a 740 and factory turbo parts would be a good way to go.
MoroccanSpice
QUOTE(MustangAficionado @ Mar 14 2012, 08:22 PM) *
My roomie and I megasquiterted his old volvo plus a 4V head and this:

seen here:

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 14 2012, 10:01 PM) *
Yeah, I would love an old 245 with a V8. If you're willing to wait, seems like you can find pretty nice examples for not a lot of coin (As you demonstrated), and seems like there are how-tos for putting SBCs into everything that rolls.

QUOTE(Mr b00st @ Mar 25 2012, 11:10 AM) *
I would look into a factory turbo conversion. Check out the forums at turbobricks - that seems to be where the knowledge is. I think a 2.3 "red block" from a 740 and factory turbo parts would be a good way to go.

Yeah, I've looked into V8 swaps, and turbo builds the last couple of days, and turbo is way cheaper, and less of a hassle to install compared to a V8 swap. It's a good idea to build up the motor prior to installing the Turbo right?

For example: Better Cam, Valves. pistons, roda, gaskets, head. etc. etc..
fiber optic
QUOTE(MoroccanSpice @ Mar 27 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Yeah, I've looked into V8 swaps, and turbo builds the last couple of days, and turbo is way cheaper, and less of a hassle to install compared to a V8 swap. It's a good idea to build up the motor prior to installing the Turbo right?

For example: Better Cam, Valves. pistons, roda, gaskets, head. etc. etc..

The answer is, it depends. So many other things get affected by running forced induction and depending on how high you go with it.
MoroccanSpice
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Mar 27 2012, 09:52 AM) *
The answer is, it depends. So many other things get affected by running forced induction and depending on how high you go with it.

Very true. Might as well buy a spare block and start from scratch.
turbobrick
That looks in really good shape, better than my 86 240 wagon.
MoroccanSpice
QUOTE(turbobrick @ May 14 2012, 12:01 AM) *
That looks in really good shape, better than my 86 240 wagon.

Thank you. I am very lucky to have found one in such decent shape!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.