Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTI Timing Belt & Motor Mounts
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
clarkma5
Yes, the GTI lives! Still a great car, still going strong, yadda yadda. Coming up on 8 years and 75,000 miles, figured it was due for a timing belt (VW says 105,000 miles, Bentley service manual recommends 60k, I sorta weighed the difference and went for 75k).

Anywho I brought my camera over to my friend's place where we did the work to take picture of the process but my hands were greasy the entire time so I didn't take any pictures. I have ONE that he snapped on his cell phone.

So it was a full-fledged workload, installing this kit: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_I...lt_Kits/ES5954/

So timing belt & accesory belt with new tensioners, new water pump with a metal impeller (the plastic ones from the factory are famous for dying at 100k miles, give or take), and since the whole job involved pulling the hood off and hoisting the engine off its engine mounts, I went for these: http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis-compo...8t-p-13093.html

Street Density 034 Motorsport Motor Mounts, about 25% stiffer than stock.

Total job took 8 hours including 2 hours futzing with the timing belt timing (it kept wanting to be off by a tooth, difficult to get everything lined up because the tensioner is only on one side). Lots of digging stuff out of the way to get to what needed work but overall not too crazy.

The verdict? Oh man, combined with the stiffer dogbone mount bushing I've had on the car for ages, the stiffnesses of the 3 powertrain mounts are now matched and I've killed the steering wheel vibration I once had at idle. The entire drivetrain is running smoothly and it sounds quieter in the cabin, and what sound comes in now sounds subtly more mechanical and pleasant!

This is part 1 of my roughly $2000 GTI refresh scheme to keep my car feeling new and fresh for the next few years, make it a desirable sale when I'm done with it, and generally just to not let it go to shit. Next up is probably Koni STR.T shocks and a suspension bushing refresh front and rear, followed by full brakes (TT front rotors, debating a rear rotor upgrade or sticking with stock size, SS lines and fluid) and potentially a clutch and flywheel (as needed).
fiber optic
I'm actually looking forward to changing the timing belt on my wife's Volvo. Still got a few more thousand to go but I'm mentally prepared.
Bjorn
^When you do it, I would love some pics.

I'm eventually going to have to do this on the wife's Yaris, and I understand the whole concept behind it, but some things scare me. Like doing it without fucking up the timing.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 12 2012, 05:01 PM) *

I'm eventually going to have to do this on the wife's Yaris, and I understand the whole concept behind it, but some things scare me. Like doing it without fucking up the timing.

When the belt's on and tensioned, the TDC mark on the cam gear and on the flywheel should both be aligned. As long as that's true you cannot fuck up the timing.

Getting everything aligned can be finicky but it's not like you're going to accidentally smash your pistons into your valves as long as the marks are aligned.
shandyman5
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 12 2012, 08:19 PM) *
When the belt's on and tensioned, the TDC mark on the cam gear and on the flywheel should both be aligned. As long as that's true you cannot fuck up the timing.

Getting everything aligned can be finicky but it's not like you're going to accidentally smash your pistons into your valves as long as the marks are aligned.

If your using the flywheel to look at marks your on the entirely wrong side of the engine... I think you mean the harmonic balancer or crank pulley/gear lol.
clarkma5
My TDC mark is on the flywheel...yes it is on the opposite end of the engine as the cam gear. Everything's connected though.
shandyman5
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Mar 12 2012, 10:46 PM) *
My TDC mark is on the flywheel...yes it is on the opposite end of the engine as the cam gear. Everything's connected though.

No shit, what a pain in the ass it seems like... leave it to VW to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I have never had the glory of doing a t-belt on a GTi, there is no crank marks on the belt side?

It sounds like an obnoxious shitty reference point.

Did the cam gears spin at all or did you have a holder?
fiber optic
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 12 2012, 07:01 PM) *

From what I've read about the Volvo you turn the motor past the marks 1/4 turn and then turn it backwards so the marks line up. This supposedly puts the variable camshaft timing back at some base level. I don't know if that is a unique procedure for Volvos. I've never had a car with a timing belt to worry about before.
clarkma5
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 12 2012, 08:37 PM) *
No shit, what a pain in the ass it seems like... leave it to VW to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I have never had the glory of doing a t-belt on a GTi, there is no crank marks on the belt side?

It sounds like an obnoxious shitty reference point.

Did the cam gears spin at all or did you have a holder?

Eh, you're looking down in the engine bay, you go to one side of the engine and look at the cam gear mark, you go to the other end of the engine and look at the flywheel mark. It's not a big deal. Don't need a holder, the whole thing stays put pretty damn well on its own.
dukenukem
I am planning on swapping out the radiator for all aluminium one and doing timing belts some time this year. I will do what Indian people do best and find someone else to do the work for me.
shandyman5
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Mar 13 2012, 02:44 PM) *
I am planning on swapping out the radiator for all aluminium one and doing timing belts some time this year. I will do what Indian people do best and find someone else to do the work for me.

As long as you have cam gear holders for that EJ25 it's really easy to do.
b0mb3r
Clark you are the man! thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif the same job on my MKV took me 18 hours :-(

as far as the engine mounts; that was the best upgrade, no more annoying axle hop smile.gif

are you going to chip it?
clarkma5
Probably not, but maybe. I've sorta got the bare-minimum-this-is-my-practical-DD plan and I've got my pie-in-the-sky-let's-mod-the-fuck-out-of-this-thing plan and some degrees in between. I'm probably leaning more toward the former just because I'm more interested in having a Miata project car than modding the GTI, while simultaneously replacing the GTI with a FR-S or something in a couple years.
Aircooled
When it was about time to do the timing belt on the Jetta when I still had it, I read in the diy that the motor had to be lifted and at that point I was like

and I farmed it out to a local VW guy who did it for a little over a hundo.

When I got the BMW there was no service history and the tbelt was one of the first things I replaced. It was pretty easy on the BMW though, no bullshit timing marks on the flywheel or anything like that. Only had to take the hood off and the rad out. I planned on replacing waterpump, tstat, hoses etc so no big deal. I think it was like a 5 hour job on the bmw. Not too bad for a first time.
clarkma5
QUOTE(Aircooled @ Mar 14 2012, 11:14 PM) *
When it was about time to do the timing belt on the Jetta when I still had it, I read in the diy that the motor had to be lifted and at that point I was like

http://troll.me/images/yao-ming/fuck-this-shit.jpg

and I farmed it out to a local VW guy who did it for a little over a hundo.

That was my initial reaction when I read the service manual, but I've got a couple friends with engine hoists in their garages so I was like *shrug*. The reason you have to lift the engine is because the passenger side motor mount bracket is in the way, you have to lift it to unbolt it to do the job. It's not exactly rocket science.

I started by following the Bentley service manual instructions, but when it started out as "remove passenger headlight" "remove hood latch assembly" "remove grille" "remove front bumper cover" I went to VWVortex and found a DIY FAQ thread that involved doing none of those things tongue.gif
shandyman5
Almost every transverse engine needs the passenger side motor mount removed to do the t-belt....
green73ta
My Passat ('07, 2.0T) dropped the cam chain tensioner a couple of months ago at 78K miles and did a lot of damage. Broken pieces of aluminum on the ground is not a pretty thing. Thank God I bought the extended service contract. I had the timing belt/water pump service done while it was apart. The bill came to $5300.
shandyman5
QUOTE(green73ta @ Mar 15 2012, 03:41 PM) *
My Passat ('07, 2.0T) dropped the cam chain tensioner a couple of months ago at 78K miles and did a lot of damage. Broken pieces of aluminum on the ground is not a pretty thing. Thank God I bought the extended service contract. I had the timing belt/water pump service done while it was apart. The bill came to $5300.

How much did you have to pay out of pocket?
fiber optic
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 15 2012, 02:07 PM) *
Almost every transverse engine needs the passenger side motor mount removed to do the t-belt....

The procedure for the Volvo requires it and then lowering the motor a little bit.
shandyman5
QUOTE(fiber optic @ Mar 15 2012, 08:15 PM) *
The procedure for the Volvo requires it and then lowering the motor a little bit.

sounds about right for a lot of vehicles.
green73ta
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 15 2012, 02:42 PM) *
How much did you have to pay out of pocket?
I had a $100 deductible but the repair shop adjusted some things and absorbed that, so no out of pocket. I also have rental coverage but the policy won't pay 100% of that. Still waiting on that check. Which reminds me... I need to call and bitch about that. Again. Come more.
Aircooled
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 15 2012, 03:07 PM) *

Longitudinal engine layout ftw

shandyman5
^ Timing chain engines ftw! Raspberry.gif
Aircooled
I know I know. There is an M30 sitting in my garage....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.