Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Huge frustration update
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Bjorn
My airbag light came on in my 2009 Legacy Wagon. The problem is the Passenger airbag sensor, part number 64139AG17AJC. Subaru says it's going to cost $1,300 to fix.

Apparently it's not covered under warranty because I "shoved" things under my passenger seat (I dispute this).

I was wondering, for those of you how work/have worked at dealers, can you tell me the dealer cost for this sensor?

Also, I plan to fight having to pay this, because I did not "shove" anything under my seat, nor have I ever been told not to do this. Do you have any tips for doing this beyond saying "I'm not impressed?"
clarkma5
Try different dealers? Start looking online for the part and replace it yourself? Write to the national Subaru of Canada or North American office?
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 6 2012, 02:39 PM) *
My airbag light came on in my 2009 Legacy Wagon. The problem is the Passenger airbag sensor, part number 64139AG17AJC. Subaru says it's going to cost $1,300 to fix.

Apparently it's not covered under warranty because I "shoved" things under my passenger seat (I dispute this).

I was wondering, for those of you how work/have worked at dealers, can you tell me the dealer cost for this sensor?

Also, I plan to fight having to pay this, because I did not "shove" anything under my seat, nor have I ever been told not to do this. Do you have any tips for doing this beyond saying "I'm not impressed?"

Lucky for you, I work for a Subaru dealer...... Can you wait until Thursday? It will be my next time over to the owner's Subaru dealer.
BlackJack
They're bullshitting you.

I work at a Chevy dealership, but the price for the sensor, from what I found online, sounds right and the labor time would be a while since it looks like it's in the seat.

But they're bullshitting you that it's not under warranty. It's a safety hazard and should be replaced as long as you have the proper warranty.

Take it to another, better, dealership. Fuck that place.
Bjorn
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Mar 6 2012, 07:45 PM) *
Lucky for you, I work for a Subaru dealer...... Can you wait until Thursday? It will be my next time over to the owner's Subaru dealer.

I can probably wait.

Thanks!

QUOTE(BlackJack @ Mar 6 2012, 09:51 PM) *
They're bullshitting you.

I work at a Chevy dealership, but the price for the sensor, from what I found online, sounds right and the labor time would be a while since it looks like it's in the seat.

But they're bullshitting you that it's not under warranty. It's a safety hazard and should be replaced as long as you have the proper warranty.

Take it to another, better, dealership. Fuck that place.

Yeah, that's pretty much my stance at the moment. The only thing under the seat was a stick my dog left in he car, and it was smaller then a paper towel roll. They're trying to get me to pay for something that isn't my fault.

Problem is that they're the only Subaru dealer in Winnipeg, and the closest other one is about 500km away in Regina. So I pretty much have to deal with them. The most frustrating thing though is that they have ben amazing until this point. Best dealer I have ever dealt with.

I've called Subaru Canada, and they should be calling me back today.
Halflifehavock13
How about not take it to a dealer? Don't know of any good local shops?
Bjorn
Dealer did the right thing, and replacing it under warranty.

They even called Subaru Canada to plead my case.

It's a shame I dislike Subaru's entire line up at the moment, because I would most-deff buy another car from them.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 15 2012, 06:31 PM) *
Dealer did the right thing, and replacing it under warranty.

They even called Subaru Canada to plead my case.

It's a shame I dislike Subaru's entire line up at the moment, because I would most-deff buy another car from them.

We have the current Outback and while it looks like shit, it is a great car.
Bjorn
^It's too big for my tastes.

My 2009 Legacy wagon pulled up next to one is hilarious. The 2010 is like easily 30% bigger . . . feels like the same size as a first or second gen Forester.

If they sold the Legacy wagon still (which I know is the same size as the Outback, just without the plastic bits and the lift kit) I might consider it . . . but they decided to treat Canadians like Americans, despite the fact that Canadians seem to prefer to buy their Subarus in Wagon form (Why, I was told, they still sold the previous gen Legacy in wagon form here while the US only got the Legacy Sedan and Outback wagon.)

Hopefully I'll be able to afford an Audi A4 Avant by the time I need to replace the Legacy.

/rant

dukenukem
If the outback is too big then why not get a 5 door impreza or wrx? They are pretty much the same size as the old Legacy.
Bjorn
They're actually really small inside; the Impreza five door doesn't have enough room in the back for my dog.

The previous gen Lagacy is the perfect size car for me. Here's hoping mine lasts as long as possible.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Mar 16 2012, 12:24 PM) *
They're actually really small inside; the Impreza five door doesn't have enough room in the back for my dog.

The previous gen Lagacy is the perfect size car for me. Here's hoping mine lasts as long as possible.

I went to the dealer today, for some warranty work on my mom's '11. I sat in the new Impreza 5-door. Bjorn you should take a look at it, it has a ton of front legroom compared to the old one and the hatch design looks like it's larger and roomier.

What the hell kind of monster dog do you have.
Bjorn
The dog is just a Lab/collie mix (65 pounds), but when you load the car with toys, bags and a stroller, we need the room.

I actually sat in a new 5-door today . . . still much smaller than my '09. I also think the new Impreza is ugly as shit. It looks like a Kia from before Kia learned to design cars.

there seems to be a gap in Subaru's line up left when everything but the Impreza went up a size.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.