Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old dependable
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
Bjorn
Possibly spurred by the anti-Toyota hate going on in the rental car thread, I thought I would post something on my 2006 Yaris.

It has sat for two weeks in sub-zero temperatures without having it's block heater plugged in, and when I went to fire it up this morning it was like it had ran just 15 minutes ago.

We will have had it for seven years this November, and in that time the only thing to go wrong was a loose heat-shield.

As boring and dull as it is, lacking even an iota of personality and individuality, it has been a great car. I'm trying to convince the wife to go for something more fun if/when we replace it, like a Mini or a Fiat 500, but to be honest, I very much doubt either of those cars would be as trouble free.
shandyman5
pshhhhh... block heaters are for pusses....
green73ta
Nothing against Toyotas here, I love them. Just not Corollas with no cruise control. OK, maybe I hate Corollas in general.
Synesthesia
Nice, how many kms? I love my old, very boring, Toyota pickup truck.
moe
I LOVE the Yaris hatchback. Anytime my friends need to rent a car, they always end up with one of these, so I've abused plenty in my time. The handling is go-kart-like (if you understand its limitations), with plenty of feel. The interior plastics may feel cheap, but I think the design inside and out has character. The best part is the engine. That puny 1.3 L (dunno if you guys have the same engine, but it's the only option here) screams all the way to the redline when you put your foot down, but doesn't actually go any faster. It's just one of those cars that makes me feel good.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 27 2012, 12:56 AM) *
I LOVE the Yaris hatchback. Anytime my friends need to rent a car, they always end up with one of these, so I've abused plenty in my time. The handling is go-kart-like (if you understand its limitations), with plenty of feel. The interior plastics may feel cheap, but I think the design inside and out has character. The best part is the engine. That puny 1.3 L (dunno if you guys have the same engine, but it's the only option here) screams all the way to the redline when you put your foot down, but doesn't actually go any faster. It's just one of those cars that makes me feel good.

I DESPISE any car that has a center IC. It is so dumb and ridiculous IMO. We always got the sedan when we rented them, and they were so boring with so much road noise.
Bjorn
She has about 60,000 kms now (just shy of 40,000 miles).

It has the 1.5 litre engine, which I think is too big for what it is. I would rather have the 1.3 or 1.0 and get better economy. That's really my only complaint about the car . . . it should be way more efficient. It only gets about 7-8 l/100km in the city, which is terrible for little car.

Interior plastics feel cheap, but after nearly 7 years they still feel and look new. Nothing is cracked or faded. I'm pretty impressed.

The IC in the middle is annoying, I'll grant you, but we're so used to it now that we don't even notice it.

Handling wise, it is pretty fun. A symptom of light weight and skinny tires I suppose. Acceleration in the 1.5 is also pretty OK.
moe
^ Only 60,000km in 7 years? Damn dude. I put 40,000km in one year on my car.
Bjorn
It's our city run-about. My cars (the Legacys) are the workhorses of the family. Right now it has 45,000 km and we've owned it since June 2009.

We also bike, bus and walk a lot of places.
Mr b00st
Being impressed by the reliability of a Toyota with 40,000 miles... man, I'm glad you like your car, but nearly anything with 40k miles is reliable.
Bjorn
40,000 miles and 7 years of ownership.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.