Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does this happen?
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Bjorn
I've been in Florida since the 14th, visiting with family. I have a 2012 Corolla as a rental car.

Tonight I went to turn on the high beams, and nothing. Blue light went on in the dash, but no high beams.

When I got back to the condo I discovered that on either side of the car, the plastic connectors for the high beams had popped off.

How does this happen? have you heard of it happening before?

I figure it must be a design flaw, since they both popped off at the same time.

Thus far budget rent-a-car is living up to its name.
HKYStormFront
maybe they decided "you won't be needing those..."
MustangAficionado
high-beams are extra
Synesthesia
Weird... what connector is this? On the outside of the car by the headlights?
fiber optic
What kind of connector is it?
Bjorn
It's the plastic kind, with a tab. Connects directly to the bulb.
Aircooled
Pics
shandyman5
Fucking Toyada....
OHirtenfelder
Seeing as how it's a rental car, I wouldn't be surprised if the rental car company disconnected them both. Chances of them both popping off 'randomly' = pretty slim.

They probably did it, so that they 'save costs' by not having to replace the bulbs as often. unsure.gif

That would be my guess. Toyota makes good cars.
moe
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Feb 22 2012, 10:40 AM) *
Toyota makes good appliances.

Fixed that for ya.
OHirtenfelder
Whatever you want to call them. Cars, appliances, whatever. They do it well.

And before everyone comes with the mass-hate, I'm not saying that they make fun cars, or exciting cars, or cars that evoke emotion, or cars to get your driving fix. No.

They make good, usable cars, that people (usually boring people) can drive to work and back, and know that they will get there in (relative) comfort, safety and won't break down on the way there, or back, or ever.

I'm done.
Synesthesia
Haha, I'm with OHirtenfelder, it does seem odd...
shandyman5
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Feb 22 2012, 03:43 AM) *
Whatever you want to call them. Cars, appliances, whatever. They do it well.

And before everyone comes with the mass-hate, I'm not saying that they make fun cars, or exciting cars, or cars that evoke emotion, or cars to get your driving fix. No.

They make good, usable cars, that people (usually boring people) can drive to work and back, and know that they will get there in (relative) comfort, safety and won't break down on the way there, or back, or ever.

I'm done.

Oh I agree completely, I would happily DD a Toyota... I just could never own ONLY a Toyota.
green73ta
I had one as a rental when my Passat was in the shop. It had no cruise control. For a guy with a 125 mile daily commute to work and back I kinda need cruise.

Turdota Crapola.
shandyman5
QUOTE(green73ta @ Feb 22 2012, 01:15 PM) *
I had one as a rental when my Passat was in the shop. It had no cruise control. For a guy with a 125 mile daily commute to work and back I kinda need cruise.

Turdota Crapola.

I will NEVER own a car without cruise control. My GF's car has no cruise control, and it is so annoying.
moe
^ Really? I never thought cruise control was a big deal. None of my car's have ever had it, and I drive between cities every other day to see my g/f.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 22 2012, 03:01 PM) *
^ Really? I never thought cruise control was a big deal. None of my car's have ever had it, and I drive between cities every other day to see my g/f.

I very regularly drive either 180 or 205 miles just about every weekend. The rides are all highway in the middle of no where, not having cruise control would be brutal.
Bjorn
QUOTE(OHirtenfelder @ Feb 22 2012, 12:40 AM) *
Seeing as how it's a rental car, I wouldn't be surprised if the rental car company disconnected them both. Chances of them both popping off 'randomly' = pretty slim.

They probably did it, so that they 'save costs' by not having to replace the bulbs as often. unsure.gif

That would be my guess. Toyota makes good cars.

It's a good theory, but they had been working the night previous.

All in all it was a good rental car. I covered about 600km and I returned it with a full tank it cost me $45 to run for eight days. Not bad.

Budget though, holy shit.

I reserved a 2012 Focus hatchback, and they tried to give me a Chevy 12 passenger van when I showed up. This is pretty much the conversation that ensued.

Luckily the Corolla showed up just as I was about to tell budget to go fuck themselves.
shandyman5
Before we bought a car down at our condo in Florida we always rented from Enterprise... Hastlefree, painfree, and cheep.
dukenukem
National car rental is by far the best place to rent from. Cars I have got from them when I booked a midsize/ intermediate sedan .. S60, S80, V50, 350Z, M35, CTS and my fav. rental boat, the Impala SS.

If you get their Emerald Execute status then it's almost guaranteed you will get a better car than you have booked.
Bjorn
I don't rent enough to become anyone's preferred customer, but I will most-deff give Enterprise and National a shot next time I rent.

green73ta
Neither my Trans Am nor my Jeep have cruise. Thankfully they're not daily drivers either.

I've been renting from Enterprise lately but always had good luck with National too. The Crapola was the first rental I've ever gotten that didn't have cruise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.