Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2012: Boy Racers
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2012 competition, please see this thread.

Fiat 500 Abarth
Base MSRP:
$22,000
Available Engines: 1.4 liter turbo sohc 16v I-4, 160hp
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual
Available Drivetrains: front engine/front drive
EPA Fuel Economy: n/a
Curb Weight: 2533 lbs.

Honda Civic Si
Base MSRP:
$22,205
Available Engines: 2.4 liter turbo dohc 16v I-4, 201hp
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/31 Highway
Curb Weight: 2877 lbs.

Honda CR-Z
Base MSRP:
$19,545
Available Engines: 1.5 liter sohc 16v I-4/electric motor, 122 hp combined
EPA Fuel Economy: 31 City/37 Highway
Curb Weight: 2657 lbs.

Hyundai Veloster
Base MSRP:
$17,300
Available Engines: 1.6 liter dohc 16v I-4, 138 hp
EPA Fuel Economy: 28 City/40 Highway
Curb Weight: 2584 lbs.

Mini Coupe
Base MSRP:
$21,300
Available Engines: 1.6 liter dohc 16v I-4, 121 hp; 1.6 liter turbo dohc 16v I-4, 181 hp
Available Transmissions: 6-speed manual/Steptronic automatic transmission
EPA Fuel Economy: 29 City/37 Highway
Curb Weight: 2557 lbs.

Volkswagen Beetle
Base MSRP:
$18,995
Available Engines: 2.5 liter dohc 20v I-5, 170 hp; 2.0 liter turbo dohc 16v I-4, 200 hp
Available Transmissions: 5-speed manual
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/31 Highway
Curb Weight: 2939 lbs.

Volkswagen Jetta GLI
Base MSRP:
$23,745
Available Engines: 2.0 liter turbo dohc 16v I-4, 200 hp
EPA Fuel Economy: 22 City/33 Highway
Curb Weight: 3124 lbs.

Synesthesia
Funny that some of these are in this category, but I trust Moe's judgement. biggrin.gif Definitely the Abarth for me. Just sat in one a few hours ago, loved the interior. The rest, aside from the Veloster which I need to learn more about, are too boring/yuck.
Bjorn
Went with the GLI. it's just kinda bad-ass.

Mini and Veloster ger a runner-up nod.
moe
QUOTE(Synesthesia @ Feb 20 2012, 06:34 AM) *
Funny that some of these are in this category, but I trust Moe's judgement. biggrin.gif Definitely the Abarth for me. Just sat in one a few hours ago, loved the interior. The rest, aside from the Veloster which I need to learn more about, are too boring/yuck.

Haha, wait till you see what's in the other categories. I think all of these cars fit together fairly well from a price/performance/target audience perspective.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 19 2012, 11:01 PM) *
Went with the GLI. it's just kinda bad-ass.

How is it bad ass in any way, shape or form?
moe
I think this is a pretty tough category, lots of fun cars here. The two I can immediately cross of my list are the Jetta and the Civic. They bore the hell out of me. The next to go would be the Beetle. I love the new look, but I've heard it isn't there yet dynamically.

The others are a bit harder to separate. The Veloster would be the first to from this bunch. The styling is genuinely fresh, and I'd say it's one of the best-looking cars out on the road right now. The third-door is a bit gimmicky, but it makes it that little bit more interesting. It does need more power though, and ultimately if I had to have a Veloster I'd wait for the Turbo. The CR-Z is the next car I'd cross off my list. I love the CR-Z on so many levels. Looks great inside and out, handles beautifully, and the eco-friendliness makes you feel good about driving it around. I even like the deficit of power. It shows that not everything needs to be about POWA!, handling counts too. That said, the hybrid drivetrain does add quite a bit of weight and it could be a LITTLE faster.

That leaves the two little retro cars. I love the Mini Coupe, it looks awesome, handles well, it's everything a fun, little car should be. It has two shortcomings though. First is the hatchback. It costs less, is more practical, and gives away nothing in terms of dynamics. Regardless of how cool the coupe looks, I don't think I could justify dropping the extra coin on it. The second is that speedometer. I hate it, so, so much. I promise you Mini, blind people won't buy your cars, so please stop designing interior gauges for them.

The Fiat is my winner. It's fun, it's fast, it's sexy. Those are the key ingredients of a hot hatch IMO, and it ticks all the right boxes. There's only one hot hatch on sale right now that I'd rather have, and that's the Citroen DS3 Racing.
Bjorn
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 20 2012, 02:02 AM) *
How is it bad ass in any way, shape or form?

It looks like a baby S4, and has presence. The rest of the cara on this list are trying so hard to be taken seriously that they end up looking kinda funny. Like a kid dressing up like an adult.

The GLI looks the part and looks great.

I just wish it still had the lipstick.
350Z
From this selection I would take the Mini but truth be told none of them appeal to me, every one of the companies here offer a better hot hatch in their line up.

clarkma5
Don't think the Beetle belongs here, maybe if it was only the Turbo model, but it's more of a general interest car than a boy racer.

This is a very tough category. My knee-jerk reaction is Veloster but the non-turbo model is really more of a warm hatch than a boy racer, the turbo is where it's at (and that's a 2013 model). Civic Si is a downgrade from its predecessor, the CR-Z needs a little turbo before I care about it, the 500 just doesn't melt my butter at all, the Mini Coupe looks great to me but all reports say it's worse than the standard hatch for more money so wtf is the point? That leaves the GLI, which I like but doesn't seem like it should win...

I guess the Abarth is the one I should like the most, being so small and light. GLI is a good all-rounder, Veloster is funky and a great base for something better. I'll give my nod to the Hyundai I suppose.
moe
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 20 2012, 04:38 PM) *
The rest of the cara on this list are trying so hard to be taken seriously that they end up looking kinda funny. Like a kid dressing up like an adult.

Isn't that the point? You're getting old man.
Bjorn
^I guess.

Thirty isn't too old (I'm biased though) but I'm not interested in owning something practical that's trying to pretend its not.

If I'm going to buy a car with stripes and stickers its going to be a study in single-minded impracticality, like the Boxster Spyder.
dukenukem
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Feb 20 2012, 06:38 AM) *
It looks like a baby S4, and has presence. The rest of the cara on this list are trying so hard to be taken seriously that they end up looking kinda funny. Like a kid dressing up like an adult.

The GLI looks the part and looks great.

I just wish it still had the lipstick.

I am going to have to disagree on every single point you made.
dukenukem
The Civic and Jetta are out for being too dull. The beetle is still for hair dressers and mini looks stupid.

Out of the remaining 3, only the 500 is really a boy racer so I have to pick that.
shandyman5
The GLI is a turd.

The new Civic Si is a bigger turd than it's predecessor.

The Veloster... is the turbo included, in this vote? I need to know before I vote.

The Mini Coupe is pointless, I would rather have the regular Cooper S.

CR-Z's are like ginger's, they have no souls.

Beetle as a boy racer.... lulz.

Fiat 500 Abarth... <333333 Give it another 30-50 hp and it would be purrrrrfect.
moe
Turbo isn't included. Pricing was just announced, but no one's driven one yet.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Feb 21 2012, 12:56 AM) *
Turbo isn't included. Pricing was just announced, but no one's driven one yet.

Okay, thanks then 500 it is.... by the way it isn't a big deal but you have the Civic Si as a Turbo I4, you probably put it by accident but I figured I would let you know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.