Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSCOTY 2012: EVs
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
moe
For more on the DieselStation Car of the Year 2012 competition, please see this thread.

Chevrolet Volt
Base MSRP:
$39,145
Available Engines: 1.4 liter dohc 16v electric generator, electric drive motor, 150hp
Available Transmissions: 1-speed automatic
Available Drivetrains: front engine/front drive
EPA Fuel Economy: 35 City/40 Highway (35-mile EV range)
Curb Weight: est. 3500 lbs.

Mitsubishi i
Base MSRP:
$27,990
Available Engines: 330 volt AC synchronous motor, 66hp
Available Drivetrains: rear engine/rear drive
EPA Fuel Economy: n/a (62+ miles EV range)
Curb Weight: 2595 lbs.

Nissan Leaf
Base MSRP:
$32,780
Available Engines: electric motor, 107hp
Available Drivetrains: front motor/front drive
EPA Fuel Economy: n/a (100+ miles EV range)
Curb Weight: 3415 lbs.

Razor
The i-MIEV looks cheap inside and out, so that's out.

Having sat in both the Leaf and the Volt, and based on the fact that the Volt is very uniquely styled, Volt it is. By a mile.
moe
I went with the Volt for the simple reason that I'm lazy. Any other electric car (I know the Volt isn't exactly a full-on EV), would require me to significantly change my lifestyle, and I just don't want to.
clarkma5
Tough choice between the leaf and the volt, they're both very worthy, but I erred on the side of the Volt because it can fill the role of an only car whereas you effectively need the Leaf in addition to another vehicle (or some sort of car sharing scheme, or severely restricted mobility...)
Synesthesia
Meh, I'm goin with the Leaf. I just can't get into the Volt, been talked about for way too long and still too expensive.
Bjorn
Went with the Leaf.

100+ mile range will get me to the cabin and back. Also, I don't think the volt is as clever a fuel economy solution as its been touted as. It's basically a PIH with a great PR team.
dukenukem
I ll take the volt. It's a good enough car where I won't feel I am owning just to be a save the world hippy.
Razor
QUOTE(dukenukem @ Feb 20 2012, 02:05 AM) *
I ll take the volt. It's a good enough car where I won't feel I am owning just to be a save the world hippy.

This.
shandyman5
Leaf is useless for distance

Mitsu is useless for any obese American.

I shall take the Volt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.