Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2012 F1 Cars
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
tune
Rather than flood this topic with images, I'll post links to launch pictures/descriptions as they are launched.

First out of the box was Caterham, featuring the nose design that most people feared in the off season (if you understood how the new rules worked).
Caterham CT-01

Then McLaren launched what is probably going to be the best looking car on the grid....
McLaren MP4-27

...and Ferrari one of the ugliest on the grid.
Ferrari F2012

Followed by Sahara Force India on the same day.
Sahara Force India VJM05

Sauber has launched today, with a tightly packed rear end by the looks of things.
Sauber C31

First pics of the Red Bull are up.
Red Bull RB8

Toro Rosso have now launched.
Toro Rosso STR7

Williams launch at first day of testing in Jerez.
Williams FW34

Mercedes launch at the beginning of the 2nd test.
Mercedes W03

First picture of the HRT has turned up (no KERS again).
HRT F112
Bjorn
I'm a little worried that McLaren said that the MP4-27 is an "evolution" of the MP4-26. I'm hopting that's just fake-out talk, because McLaren needed an evolution of the MP4-26 to beat the RB7. They are likely going to need a "revolution" to beat the RB8.

Also looks like Ferrari are taking a gamble with the F2012, if it pays off McLaren could find themselves fighting for third if they didn't go far enough with the MP4-27.
clarkma5
Honestly, given what Newey has to say about the new regs, the RB8, and why the RB7 was so effective, I'm not sure Red Bull can expect such dominance this season. Basically it sounds like they had their edge because they designed the RB6 and RB7 entirely around the exhaust blown diffuser and now that that's gone, they've had to fundamentally change the concept of the RB8. Newey's not talking about improving on the RB7, he's talking like it's a case of downforce damage limitation.

It'll be an interesting test and season for sure.
shandyman5
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Feb 6 2012, 07:58 PM) *
Honestly, given what Newey has to say about the new regs, the RB8, and why the RB7 was so effective, I'm not sure Red Bull can expect such dominance this season. Basically it sounds like they had their edge because they designed the RB6 and RB7 entirely around the exhaust blown diffuser and now that that's gone, they've had to fundamentally change the concept of the RB8. Newey's not talking about improving on the RB7, he's talking like it's a case of downforce damage limitation.

It'll be an interesting test and season for sure.

The one advantage is that they have Vettel as their driver.
clarkma5
Vettel's definitely a top talent and he's getting everything out of the tools that are given to him, but I don't think he's the only person on the grid that can be said about.
moe
McLaren better have a really good reason as to why their car isn't ugly.
tune
Toro Rosso & Williams added.
Bjorn
Wow, the stepped nose is the design element of 2012.

I wonder if everyone came to the same conclusion or if there were some IP leaks at the team that originally thought of it. Also, did McLaren see it and dismiss it, or did they miss the boat?
tune
I don't know the exact wording of the regulations, but I think the noses have to be below a certain height forward of the front wheels. It seems that the high nose is desired, hence you are seeing teams use the maximum height dimensions for their noses. I believe it has something to do with side impact safety.

McLaren have developed last years car, which had a low nose anyway, so their whole nose is below the upper limits, hence no need for a step (see picture below). They have a "snow plow" turning vane below the nose, which supposedly provides a different benefit for them.

Interesting article on the new McLaren here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.