Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Virtual RIG Studio Wheels Tutorial
Dieselstation Car Forums > Multimedia > Photography > Technique & Tutorials
GolfuletzStudio
somebody here use Virtualrig , i have some questions

for wheels, use still virtual rig or photoshop or on actually loction make photo with the wheel speening ?

if somebody have some tutorials
Mr.D
Tried it a couple of times and it seems impossible in vr. I would be intrested in hearing from someone like Continentals how he does it...
Location seems to be the easiest way to do it.
GolfuletzStudio
i tried too and with lot of working it works . but i need to try on loction
Mr.D
But did you manage to do it with a wheel that was not totally straight? it always seem to swirl too much.
GolfuletzStudio
the car was shooting from back 3/4 and side , and a wheel hard to edit in motion , bbs rs with lip 10J, now i m just in testing some processing for that
mcdronkz
Your best bet it to massage the wheel into a circle again using Photoshop transform, and then apply radial blur. After that, you can transform it back to its original shape, and the blur should be fairly realistic. Of course, be careful with brake calipers, they shouldn't be spinning. ;-)
GolfuletzStudio
yes i try this way too and works quite oky , but when it weather will be ok , i ll try on location
GolfuletzStudio

first try
OHirtenfelder
I like that. Except for the fact that the guy is looking at the camera, not the road.
Also, maybe try and bring out some highlights on the car. Good, clean shot though.
GolfuletzStudio
thanks i will do better and better in time tongue.gif
Spoolin
How is the software to use?

I have been looking at it for a while.. but have been holding off due to the cost.
I was offered a trial on the full version but haven't used it as I know I will want it strait away! LOL.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(Spoolin @ Feb 1 2012, 03:10 PM) *
How is the software to use?

I have been looking at it for a while.. but have been holding off due to the cost.
I was offered a trial on the full version but haven't used it as I know I will want it strait away! LOL.

It's pretty good an rather intuitive, but if you don't know what a rig shot should look like, you'll get bad or unrealistic results, like the image Ciprian posted above. The blur speed and direction simply isn't what a camera would have actually captured. There's too much curvature on the ground and too little blur on the far background. It's like it goes from a fast blur to almost nothing in an instant, rather than slowly tapering in. But again this is user error, not the software's fault.

The problem is it's a lot of money for a piece of software that only does one thing (motion blurs). However it does that one thing REALLY REALLY well. Whether or not it's worth the cost depends on your clients and shooting schedule. For many it will be unreasonable, but for others it can offer tremendous cost savings.
mcdronkz
This can be done to a certain level in Photoshop too, although it's a bit tedious. Stroking paths with the smudge tool is the basic idea.
OzCarSightings
GolfuletzStudio - the VirtualRig software doesn't allow you to "blur" the wheels, so did you create the motion in Photoshop or take a shot with them spinning (jacked the car up)?
GolfuletzStudio
Sean , yes tht s my error , but i was to excited for the first time

OZ - yes u can in photoshop but , it s simple with jacked the car up

i wait for good weather to try new shotos
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(GolfuletzStudio @ Feb 2 2012, 09:28 AM) *
Sean , yes tht s my error , but i was to excited for the first time

OZ - yes u can in photoshop but , it s simple with jacked the car up

i wait for good weather to try new shotos

I totally understand, the first few renders I did looked like shit. It takes a while to get everything figured out. Although I've seen some ad shots that have renders that look worse than that lol.
GolfuletzStudio
you use only wheels from location ? or u use photohop for blur the wheels ?
bmwaddicted49
select the wheel, deselect caliper/ rotor if need be. create new layer of the selection. transform it so that the wheel is a true circle (if its at an angle it will be more oval than circle, but if shot straight on your lucky and wont have to deal with this bc its a pita). radial blur to taste (if you did not transform it to a true circle then it will look like doo doo, it only works if its as close to a true circle as possible). transform it back to its original shape (pita if its at an angle and all oval shaped).

thats what ive been doing anyways...
GolfuletzStudio
another atempt

GFWilliams
Why don't you just use a real rig?

Would look better
Seethegrim
QUOTE(GolfuletzStudio @ Feb 15 2012, 08:05 PM) *
another atempt

Thats pretty good! Motion is a bit much, but still not many people would be able to tell it was a fake if you didn't say too much.
Nike SB'd
QUOTE(GolfuletzStudio @ Feb 3 2012, 05:21 AM) *
you use only wheels from location ? or u use photohop for blur the wheels ?

If I'm shooting something that I plan on using in a virtualrig shot later, I'll shoot the wheels in motion. The only time I will blur in photoshop is if I take a photo from the past that I had no intention of using and it's the only option.
Martin Cyprian
first pics

another

MaTBoY
Martin, the 2nd shot, from rear quarter looking up the road and the audi look real, the rest just look a little... off. The car or the motion just doesn't look right, or they just don't seem to work well together.

That 2nd shot looks about right Ciprian. smile.gif
mopho
So has anyone done any further exploration of VR?
Is price keeping you away from using it or do you feel the results aren't as good?

I've been thinking of going the software route because I hate dealing with bouncy rigs, and a commercial rig (and all that comes with it) is just not something my current clients are going to spring for very often, nor can I do it for a portfolio piece.

Seeing Frederics results of doing motion in post has me a bit inspired to give it a try, it certainly gives you way more options
Mr.D
The main problem is that it doesn´t work with complex enviroments if you want it to look real. You cant seperate trees from the background or if you have close objects near the other parts that needs to be vectorized. But if you can live with the fake look it might be worth it.
I would say it's a bit risky for your kind of commercial work unless you do loads of testshots before you actually shoot the real car... thats probably why most use it for cgi.
erikfig
Do you add the car to the frame after you blur the image? I just got VS but I'm having a hard time learning how to use it. sad.gif
mcdronkz
QUOTE(erikfig @ Oct 24 2012, 05:19 PM) *
Do you add the car to the frame after you blur the image? I just got VS but I'm having a hard time learning how to use it. sad.gif

These kind of questions are covered in the manual.

Planning is key, I have learned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.