Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diesel M
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
bobo27
Rumors of BMW M launching a diesel model have been circulating for over a year, and confirmation has finally arrived in the form of not one, not two, but four M-fettled oil-burners, each sporting all-wheel drive and the oft-rumored tri-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six. And before you get excited, none of them are slated for sale in the U.S. – this is a Euro-only affair.

So with that unfortunate fact out of the way, let's get to the details.

The new M models come in the form of the M550d xDrive sedan, M550d xDrive touring, X5 M50d and X6 M50d. Each makes use of a 3.0-liter inline-six common-rail diesel with the aforementioned trio of turbos specifically developed for the M Performance range. Output is rated at 376 horsepower at 4,000 rpm and 545 pound-feet of torque available from 2,000 to 3,000 revs. If you're keeping track at home, that's a bump of 80 hp and 103 lb-ft over the 535d and 74 hp and 103 lb-ft more than the 3.0-liter mill fitted to the diesel X5 and X6.

Each model comes equipped with an eight-speed automatic gearbox and standard xDrive AWD, allowing the M550d sedan to hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds – just four tenths of a second off the all-new M5's 0-60 run. You read that right. The M550d Touring hits 60 in 4.9 seconds, with the X5 M50d and X6 M50d passing the mark in 5.4 and 5.3 seconds, respectively. All models are limited to 155 mph and fuel consumption ranges between 6.4 liters/100km and 7.7 liters/100km.

Interestingly, the M-ified diesel 5ers ditch the standard electromechanical steering for a hydraulic system that's derived from the M5, and both the X5 and X6 variants uses systems similar to those on the X5 M and X6 M.

And if you're wondering why we won't see these M diesels here in the States, blame the necessity to reengineer the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) systems to make them comply with emissions standards across the country. We'll be seeing all four live from the Geneva Motor Show in March, but you can get the first batch of details in the press release after the break.
From Autoblog

From the standpoint of having driven in Europe, and knowing how suitable a diesel car is over there, i like this. But is BMW devaluing the M brand? I think so, but in the enthusiast eyes, i bet this thing will turn a profit for them. Also 0-60 in 4.9 for a heavy wagon oil burner... yes please.
moe
BMWs done something absolutely retarded IMO. The new M Performance brand is what BMWs used to be in standard form. This is confusing, and an excuse to enthusiasts to make their standard line-up softer.

The cars may be great, in fact, I have no doubt they will be. But this is a terrible use of the M brand.
OHirtenfelder
Oh how the mighty have fallen!

From the company that brought us these LEGENDS:

(I know it's not strictly speaking an M-car, but it's the forefather of the M3)

Comes this:

and this:

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, BMW?

As Moe mentioned, there is no doubt that these will be good cars. In fact, they will most likely be brilliant. But a Diesel M. First they turbocharge ("We will never turbocharge an M-car") which is OK, the times kinda dictated that. But a fucking Diesel? Really.

Way to dilute yourselves in the name of profit!

moe
^ I'm fine with diesel too, tbh. A diesel performance car would be badass. However, it's the dilution of the standard cars that bothers me. There's no need for an M-sub brand.
OHirtenfelder
I do have a problem with the diesel, and with the 4heel drive and with the SUVs and SAVs (whatever the fuck BMW is calling their shit nowadays).

I have no issues with these cars as money makers, that allow the brand to keep developing and building the awesome shit, but my problem lies with the awesome shit being diluted by the money making.

Porsche could not continue with development on the 911 without the Cayenne. That's fine if it lets them keep building the Cayenne. It' when they start building Cay911ennes that I'm going to have an issue.

Make proper M cars, and make cars that help keep those M cars alive, that's what I'm saying. I can't afford an M car. Does that suck. YES! Do I want BMW to build some shitty half-job just so that people like me can drive something with a (half-arsed) M-badge on the back? HELL NO!
moe
I dunno, I think there's nothing wrong with a diesel, AWD M-car as long as there's a RWD, petrol option available too. I don't even have a hybrid M car as long as it makes the right noises.
Synesthesia
Yikes! These cars are fine but I they just need to be badged differently than the true M cars. Something to say they're more special than a standard cars but don't meet the sports-car requirements of an M car...
clarkma5
Nothing wrong with a diesel M in my book, performance traditionalists really need to give it up and wrap their heads around the new regulatory world we live in. It's not 1985 anymore. Of course that doesn't mean I'm going to stop applauding the traditional performance car efforts (in fact it's going to make me clap harder) but it's going to make me more open-minded and considerate about the other ways manufacturers are trying to reconcile the desire for performance with the need for low emissions and good economy.

The biggest problem with M is the fact that they're trying to reconcile performance and economy in 4000-5000+ pound vehicles...
bankE46
It makes business sense with the all the "S-Line" cars that audi is putting out now. Unfortunately I think it will become a subtle branding feature to create a smoother slope of models between budget and high-end performance cars as time goes on. Obviously in BMW circles, anything with an M badge that seats 7 and has a 10" ground clearance won't be taken seriously.
Razor
QUOTE(clarkma5 @ Jan 26 2012, 11:26 AM) *
Nothing wrong with a diesel M in my book, performance traditionalists really need to give it up and wrap their heads around the new regulatory world we live in. It's not 1985 anymore. Of course that doesn't mean I'm going to stop applauding the traditional performance car efforts (in fact it's going to make me clap harder) but it's going to make me more open-minded and considerate about the other ways manufacturers are trying to reconcile the desire for performance with the need for low emissions and good economy.

The biggest problem with M is the fact that they're trying to reconcile performance and economy in 4000-5000+ pound vehicles...

Just, this. I don't understand all the bitching either. Face the facts, people: companies that are keeping their performance divisions at your ideal level of "purity" are few and far between for a plethora of reasons. It's simply not cost effective or efficient to cater to only hardcore enthusiasts like us anymore... but building on what Clark said, it makes the companies that do that more special.

And for the record, diesel performance cars are fucking awesome. I wish they sold more in this country. If Audi had released that insane A3 Diesel sports concept from a few years back, I know what I'd be driving right now.
350Z
Did someone say super diesel?

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarrevi...di_biturbo.html
OHirtenfelder
I'm not at all opposed to diesel cars, let alone performance diesels.
One of the cars that got me the most excited in recent years was the Audi R8 V12 TDI. God, did I have my fingers crossed that that car was going to go into production. Alas, it did not.

My issue with these cars is the brand dilution they create. And the 'vehicle dilution'. Manufacturers have started making cars (partly due to public demand, partly because they decide what the public wants) that are trying to fill all niches. Cars are trying to be everything to everyone. Back in the day you had sports cars, not necessarily the most comfortable cars in the world (livable, not comfy), but they were fantastic at being sports cars. 4X4s where just that. Great at off roading, not much else. Today they are all trying to make these performance-hybrid-sports-9 door coupe-off-road-underwater-skiing-activity-cross-breed vehicles. And we're ending up with (very often) compromised vehicles.

The BMW X6M, as an example. It's FUCKING QUICK. It'll give an M3 a proper run for its money around a track, due to all sorts of clever suspension and electronic trickery. It might even beat an M3 around a track. Does it feel good to drive? Not a fuck! Seating is far too high, the car is far too heavy (both of these from the viewpoint of a 'sports car'. Does it go off road? No. Sure you can go trundling across some light dirt, or take it on the beach. But it sucks at off-roading as well. The tyres that it is fitted with are road going tyres. Do those work off road? No. If you were to take the X6 into some proper terrain, the bumpers would be destroyed, the paint would be ruined, and if it got proper wet (real off-road wading) thew electronics might very well bomb out. Good at off-roading? I don't think so.

So, it's a coupe? No it's not. I don't even need to go into much detail. If anyone of you wants to argue that this is genuinely a coupe, all I can say, is go suck on a fat one. Failure again.

It's big, and seats 4 people comfortably. Does it? No. The front is roomy and comfy, the back? Not so much. It's fairly cramped and there is no headroom. Another fail.

So everything this car is meant to be, it's shit at. It does all of these things fairly well, but it excels at nothing. A "jack of all trades, but master of none".

I know that I'm rambling here. But I'm trying to make a point. This is the shit we'll end up with.

I understand that due to emissions and all sorts of regulations engine sizes must come down, and emissions must be reduced. The world moves on, and so must the vehicles we drive. But just because of this it doesn't mean that we have to give up on true enthusiast's cars. One of the greatest M cars to ever be built was built a year ago. The BMW 1 Series M Coupe is a spectacular car. And it's a modern interpretation of an M car. Brilliant.

The Brands M, RS, AMG (not so much anymore), are some of the great 'sports car' brands, and they should remain that way. By all means, build these cars, but for goodness sake, don't badge them with an M!

That is all I'm saying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.