Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WRC 2012
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Motorsport
tune
Before we start I haven't seen the Monte Carlo rally yet, so please don't talk about results just yet, I've been away all week.

I have some Eurosport coverage recorded, but according to my Dad the coverage hasn't been that great. It seems that the decent coverage I came to expect from Eurosport that was on ESPN last year has gone now too. I read that North One had lost their deal to promote WRC, as an investment deal had fallen through. This seems pretty crap that a good deal hasn't been sorted out, when they seem to be working hard to create solid foundations to create more interest in the sport via the regulations.

To my American/Canadian friends - do you guys have any good coverage this season? If the Eurosport stuff we get is not up to much I'll be looking to download it from somewhere.
Bjorn
^Years back our coverage was the same as the Euro coverage. Not sure what it is now. Wasn't OneHD doing some good coverage last year?

It's s shame that WRC can't seem to get it's god damned head around how to broadcast the sport. I think that's it's real Achilles heel. They have good characters, cool cars and exciting racing, but struggle to bring it to an audience (at least in the English speaking world).

clarkma5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 23 2012, 06:07 AM) *
It's s shame that WRC can't seem to get it's god damned head around how to broadcast the sport. I think that's it's real Achilles heel. They have good characters, cool cars and exciting racing, but struggle to bring it to an audience (at least in the English speaking world).

Werd. It's basically why I gave up watching it, I just read about it on autosport.com now.
Synesthesia
I enjoyed the OneHD coverage last year but yeah, looking like Eurosport this time. Maybe they're just off to a wobbly start......
tune
I recorded a review show of the whole event on Eurosport and started watching it this morning over breakfast. It was not bad actually; the same guy that commentates on the Dakar for Eurosport was doing the coverage. The only gripe I have and this may just be because it's the review show, is that they're not showing any of the stage time comparisons i.e. the exciting bit at the end of a stage when you get to see if a driver beat the target time or how much they lost/gained.

Time will tell I suppose - I think they really should have used the off season to sort the promotion out, especially as it seemed North One were destined for closure before the end of last season, without they found an investor.
skr
ESPN UK's coverage is good. Paul King FTW. I watched all 3 days of Rally Sweden and it was no different than last year's coverage, except for the different intro music.
tune
Yeah noticed it was back on ESPN - they didn't have the Monte though. It was also back on Motors TV in the UK, maybe Eurosport had exclusive rights for Monte Carlo over here?
clarkma5
Well, Sweden was a last minute TV deal due to all sorts of stuff falling through. Not sure if it was a one-off and some other arrangement will be sorted or if it will continue for the rest of the season?
skr
I hope ESPN picks up the deal for at least the UK coverage.
Synesthesia
Excited about the sounds of this coverage, amazing that the coverage is so volatile!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.