Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: n00b question
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > User's Rides
OHirtenfelder
Ok, so I am changing the brake discs on my BMW 200 this weekend with the help of a mate, who knows what he's doing. The brakes arrived today, sent from Deutschland!

The thing is that the brakes arrived coated in this waxy stuff, and I'm not too sure what I should do about it. My guess is that it needs to come off before installation, but as I said: n00b.

So do I use hot, soapy water and scrub it all off, or what do I do?

Help would be appreciated.

The stuff:
fiber optic
It's just to protect the disk from rusting away in the box. Clean it off with brake cleaner and a paper towel.
shandyman5
Fiber Optic is spot on.

However the one thing I will add is if you can remove it with some type of "Brake Clean" substance... wash the rotor off with soapy water and a fresh towel after using the cleaner.... Long story short, on the microscopic level it makes a tremendous difference in terms of removing excess metal, and other objects that should not be on the rotor.
clarkma5
Every shadetree mechanic should have a can of this or something similar at their disposal: http://www.amazon.com/BRAKLEEN-Brake-Parts...C/dp/B0002T8Y48

Though in a pinch, dish soap is an effective degreaser (don't just use hand soap or detergent or something, they leave much more of a film). Dry thoroughly either way!
OHirtenfelder
Awesome. Thanks guys. Yeah, I figured it's to stop the brakes from rusting while in storage, I just wasn't too sure how to get rid of it effectively.

Thank you!
fiber optic
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Jan 16 2012, 08:57 AM) *
However the one thing I will add is if you can remove it with some type of "Brake Clean" substance... wash the rotor off with soapy water and a fresh towel after using the cleaner.... Long story short, on the microscopic level it makes a tremendous difference in terms of removing excess metal, and other objects that should not be on the rotor.

I'd never heard about that before. However, I did wash out the cylinders for my VW motor with Comet and hot water.
skr
Be sure to get multiple cans of it, because you'll run out fast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.