Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Caddy ATS
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
UserDrew
Starting with the CTS and the re skinned Corvette, the XLR, I've become pretty fond of Cadillac and their edgy, angular style. This car will be smaller than the CTS and is intended to compete with the A4, 3-series, etc. There are two engine and drive options planned for this car: a 2.0 liter turbo and a 3.6 liter V6 blah blah blah. Here is the article:

"The ATS marks the debut of this brand's new rear-wheel drive architecture that's been optimized for agile, quick and fun driving dynamics," said David Leone, global vehicle line exec at Cadillac, adding that this platform was fine-tuned on Germany's Nurburgring. "We spent countless hours behind the wheel of this vehicle perfecting the final execution."

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/1/13/The-...-World-7706778/

shandyman5
I don't understand how this will compete with an A4/3-Series/C-Class when the CTS does that....
Bjorn
All anyone could talk about when the new CTS came out was how it was more a competitor to the 3 series in price, and 5 series in terms of space.

My guess would be that Caddy is trying to bring themselves in line with the Germans. So the ATS will be a 3, C, A4, competitor, the next CTS will be more like a 5, E, A6, competitor and that thing replacing the STS and DTS will fit in with the 7, S, A8.
moe
^ Pretty much what Bjorn said. The CTS had 5-series size at a 3-series price. The 5-series was always the benchmark for the current CTS (and the M5 for the CTS-V) during development. It just got lumped with the 3-series because of price. Now that Caddy has the ATS, the CTS will get more expensive to compete directly with the 5-series.

The ATS is a very pretty car IMO. Cadillac's Art & Science design philosophy has been evolved extremely well. The CTS went from being awkward to awesome, as did the SRX, and the XLR was always awesome-looking IMO. I'm just lost as to how they screwed up the XTS so badly. I mean it's not ugly, but so horribly misproportioned.

Oh also, Cadillac has confirmed a diesel powerplant for this thing as well. Rumor is there's also an ATS-based roadster on the way.
shandyman5
I love Cadillac's latest models. With this being the new 3-series competitor the new CTS is certainly going to have to grow in size to compete with the 5/A6/E-Class.
Bjorn
^I don't think so.

It's already bigger than an F10 5 Series in every dimension except length and wheelbase. For those measurements it's only 32mm and 88mm shorter, respectively. The BMW has 50L more interior volume, but that's less than a 2% difference over the CTS.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Jan 14 2012, 05:05 PM) *
^I don't think so.

It's already bigger than an F10 5 Series in every dimension except length and wheelbase. For those measurements it's only 32mm and 88mm shorter, respectively. The BMW has 50L more interior volume, but that's less than a 2% difference over the CTS.

Wow, I have to look up stats for dimensions of both... I am shocked, the CTS does not seem that big to me.
moe
^ Your CTS does not seem that big to me tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.