Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I don't hate this
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > The Car Garage
Bjorn
Dodge's answer to the Cruze, Corolla, Focus, Forte . . .

From a looks perspective it's not bad (except for the Dodge-family rear light-bar . . . I hate that thing), and it'll probably drive OK considering it's based on an Alfa. Even the engine lineup (2.0L NA, 2.0L turbo and 2.4L turbo) sounds promising.

Good riddance Caliber

Jalopnik article
moe
That is awesome, but I wish it was a hatch.
Bjorn
Yeah.

I'm not sure if it's actually American taste, or the auto companies making assumptions about American taste, but it's so hard getting a hatch in the US.

Unfortunately for us Canadians, who from my experience prefer hatches over sedans, car companies normally just replicate the American market up here. I'm still annoyed about the death of the Legacy wagon in Canada. The new Outback is basically a Forester.
moe
I was reading some figures a while back. Seems small hatches are selling well in the US, hence all the manufacturers offering them. Even Chevy pulled a u-turn on the decision not to sell the Cruze hatch in the US. Wagons on the other hand are doomed. I'm guessing the sales in Canada alone don't justify having wagons available for you guys.

Look at it this way...at least you guys get manuals. It's near impossible to get something with a clutch in this country.
Bjorn
True. I would rather have a clutch than a hatch.

Can you get Porsches with manual transmissions?

moe
Yeah, thankfully Porsche offers just about everything with a manual here.
clarkma5
I am really liking the Dodge rear light bar actually. The headlights don't quite fit the rest of the car, though. Given Chrysler's recent run of form I'm anticipating a class competitive product!
moe
I feel like I've seen those headlights on a Fiat before.
dukenukem
I still don't trust dodge to make a reliable car.
Synesthesia
Curious to see how this turns out. Hatchback Imprezas are a good example of hatches doing well over here...
moe
Actually in the last sales figures I read, the Subaru actually sells fewer Impreza hatches than sedans, by a very slim margin. Hyundai does sell more Accent hatchbacks, Toyota sells more Yaris hatches, Ford sells more Fiesta Fiesta hatches, Nissan sells more Versa hatches, and Suzuki sells more SX4 hatchbacks.
Aircooled
That actually looks pretty good
Synesthesia
QUOTE(moe @ Jan 8 2012, 11:21 AM) *
Actually in the last sales figures I read, the Subaru actually sells fewer Impreza hatches than sedans, by a very slim margin. Hyundai does sell more Accent hatchbacks, Toyota sells more Yaris hatches, Ford sells more Fiesta Fiesta hatches, Nissan sells more Versa hatches, and Suzuki sells more SX4 hatchbacks.

This is for the US?
shandyman5
Yes, I work for a Subaru dealer and this is definitely true, but there is strong predictions that this trend will reverse in 2012 with the new Impreza.
Halflifehavock13
Has anyone heard if they have any at the auto show that you can sit in? I'll be heading out to it this weekend and wanted to pop a squat in one.
UserDrew
It looks good and it's the sort of thing I was expecting from the Fiat and Chrysler deal. I would rather see it as an Alfa Giulietta but it looks good and it'll undoubtedly be better than the Dodge Caliber. I like this and it presents an interesting choice among the competition. The interior has that same fucking shoddy, rough, lumpy fucking plastic. I don't mind plastics but this stuff is the worst shit to ever happen in the auto industry.
Anyway, For the first time in my life I would actually consider a Dodge product if I wanted a compact car. If I were top gear I could have some fun with this, but I'm not and they don't care about cars anymore.

My parents had a '71 Sedan from 85-93. The thing was in bad shape but was a beast still. There is something about the "Dodge" name that conjures up a strange feeling of nostalgia. It would probably be complete if they re-introduced the 3 point fratzog.
shandyman5
Anything is better than that Caliber turd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.