Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Veloster v. Scirocco
Dieselstation Car Forums > Parking Lot > Compare & Contrast
Bjorn
They seem pretty similar to me. Stylish hatchback based coupes. Very similar in size, engine options and price (in markets where they are both on sale).

So, disregarding the fact that VW has refused to sell the Scirocco in NA, which would you choose?

Razor
I LOVE Hyundai, but the Scirocco is just SO dropdead sexy I can't not choose it.
shandyman5
Scirocco for sure....

Veloster is a turd.
UserDrew
Hyundai is a brand I fucking despise. Their cars are generally hideous and when they do start with something good they find some way to ruin it in the second generation or there is some characteristic of the car which will infuriate you to no end when you drive it. I know nothing of the Veloster, other than it's vile apperance. I think by now you know how I voted.
Razor
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Dec 6 2011, 03:29 AM) *
Hyundai is a brand I fucking despise. Their cars are generally hideous and when they do start with something good they find some way to ruin it in the second generation or there is some characteristic of the car which will infuriate you to no end when you drive it. I know nothing of the Veloster, other than it's vile apperance. I think by now you know how I voted.

Didn't you once defend Pontiac's products, though?
clarkma5
These are the same price in their respective markets? Seriously?

Seems like a loaded Veloster Turbo is gonna be about $25k USD. The equivalent Scirocco would probably be about $30k in the US according to VWoA (hence why they don't sell it here, nobody would buy it for that much money). So based on that, the Veloster gets my nod. I think it still might even on even pricing.
shandyman5
QUOTE(UserDrew @ Dec 6 2011, 03:29 AM) *

Wow, I am shocked to hear that from someone. I think the majority of Hyundai's new stuff is really nice. The new Sonata is a great car, and I have had quite a bit of seat time in one. Haven't had the chance to be in a turbo one yet, but I hear they are a little sluggish for being boosted.

The new Genesis, and Equus are beautiful cars. My extremely wealthy uncle was actually looking at the Genesis for his wife, but due to her needing name brand recognition she got a new S-class instead (ridiculous)... He said he was very impressed with it however...

As a former GC owner, I will say the car was a great drive, it just wasn't for me. I do not like the redesign at all however....

QUOTE(Razor @ Dec 6 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Didn't you once defend Pontiac's products, though?

Right before Pontiac crapped the bed, they were a pretty damn decent car company. I would have much rather seen them saved over another one of GM's pointless brands at the time.
Bjorn
^A friend owns a new Sonata and hates it.

He says that the seats are crippling him and the clutch is an on/off switch.

What's your experience been?
Halflifehavock13
I'd like the veloster more if the rear hatch lever/emblem didn't end up making the rear end look like someone's taint.
moe
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Dec 6 2011, 10:59 PM) *
The new Genesis, and Equus are beautiful cars.

Really? The Genesis is good-looking for sure, but hardly beautiful. Generic is more the word. The Equus on the other hand is straight-up tacky to my eyes. It lacks the sophistication of every other car in its class. That being said, both cars are absolutely excellent in every other way.

Between the Scirocco and the Veloster, it's hands-down the VW for me. The Veloster is very cool, but each time I see the Scirocco, I feel like I have to own one.
shandyman5
QUOTE(Bjorn @ Dec 6 2011, 02:38 PM) *
^A friend owns a new Sonata and hates it.

He says that the seats are crippling him and the clutch is an on/off switch.

What's your experience been?

Nothing but positive, the person I know who has one is a girl, and she finds the car perfect. Her only issue with it was a headliner rattle that got replaced under warranty.... otherwise it has been nothing but trouble free.

Hers is a non-turbo Limited, with leather seats..... She loves it, and I find the seats to be quite nice and comfortable. Not sure how big your friend is but I'm 6'2" and weigh 190ish with no trouble at all..... Does he have the cloth seats? Perhaps they are different? (No manual in the US with a Limited only the GLS)
Bjorn
His are cloth . . .

He's had a few issues with the air conditioning too . . . not working. The Dealer says he's crazy.

He's really not happy with the car. I keep on telling him to go down to the dealership and see if they will do anything, like give him a good deal on trading into an automatic or something, but he seems content to suffer.
UserDrew
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Dec 6 2011, 10:59 AM) *
Wow, I am shocked to hear that from someone. I think the majority of Hyundai's new stuff is really nice. The new Sonata is a great car, and I have had quite a bit of seat time in one. Haven't had the chance to be in a turbo one yet, but I hear they are a little sluggish for being boosted.

Hah, I've gotten into several times on these forums. They're designs don't get me going. Love the Tiburoun, almost bought one but the insurance rates were too much. I liked the feel a lot and the look but the motor seemed somewhat large for 160-170hp. I also couldn't agree more with your Pontiac statement. I thought that brand was turning around. I'm one of the people who felt that GMC and Buick should've been axed because commercial trucks could be sold as Chev. Saturn could be hung onto to sell the Opel/Vauxhaull sort of cars and Pontiac could be the niche sports car/ muscle car brand.
moe
Honestly, I think GM made the right call in most ways. Killing Hummer, Pontiac and Saturn. All of the brands were superfluous. They could've gone one step further and killed GMC as well. I feel Chevy covers everything GMC, Pontiac, and Saturn represent.
dukenukem
I still don't trust VW to make a reliable car. Plus, I can actually buy the Veloster so I have to vote for that.
shandyman5
QUOTE(moe @ Dec 7 2011, 07:33 AM) *
Really? The Genesis is good-looking for sure, but hardly beautiful. Generic is more the word. The Equus on the other hand is straight-up tacky to my eyes. It lacks the sophistication of every other car in its class. That being said, both cars are absolutely excellent in every other way.

Between the Scirocco and the Veloster, it's hands-down the VW for me. The Veloster is very cool, but each time I see the Scirocco, I feel like I have to own one.

I personally find the Genesis stunning.... The Equus is elegant while slightly on the bland side.

QUOTE(Bjorn @ Dec 7 2011, 01:14 PM) *
His are cloth . . .

He's had a few issues with the air conditioning too . . . not working. The Dealer says he's crazy.

He's really not happy with the car. I keep on telling him to go down to the dealership and see if they will do anything, like give him a good deal on trading into an automatic or something, but he seems content to suffer.

Well, I don't understand why he wouldn't get those things checked out. If he thinks his A/C is inoperative tel him to buy an A/C tester thermometer, and look at what his vent temps are.... If that doesn't yield results tell him to buy a gauge kit and check the high and low side lines.... If the pressures are off he can take his readings to the dealer, and tell them he is in fact not crazy.

Not sure if the cloth and leather seats have different padding designs.... I have only been in leather Sonata's.

QUOTE(UserDrew @ Dec 8 2011, 06:55 PM) *
Hah, I've gotten into several times on these forums. They're designs don't get me going. Love the Tiburoun, almost bought one but the insurance rates were too much. I liked the feel a lot and the look but the motor seemed somewhat large for 160-170hp. I also couldn't agree more with your Pontiac statement. I thought that brand was turning around. I'm one of the people who felt that GMC and Buick should've been axed because commercial trucks could be sold as Chev. Saturn could be hung onto to sell the Opel/Vauxhaull sort of cars and Pontiac could be the niche sports car/ muscle car brand.

Design is purely opinion so I understand that completely. I also loved the look of the last-gen Tiburon. It is a shame the motors in them were such turds however, my girlfriend has one on her list of next cars she will look at to buy.

Pontiac was definitely turning around, however I completely disagree with your statement about Buick. Buck has turned around a ton, and with the big market share they have in China it would have been foolish to can them. I can agree on your statement about GMC but I actually prefer the look of the Sierra to the Silverado so while I am subjective towards GMC, your point is certainly valid.

QUOTE(moe @ Dec 9 2011, 10:39 AM) *
Honestly, I think GM made the right call in most ways. Killing Hummer, Pontiac and Saturn. All of the brands were superfluous. They could've gone one step further and killed GMC as well. I feel Chevy covers everything GMC, Pontiac, and Saturn represent.

They didn't kill Hummer they sold it after they had already canned Pontiac and Saturn, which was incredibly foolish. The first thing GM should have done when they got into financial trouble was kill Hummer. They should have canned Saab before they canned Pontiac and Saturn as well. I do agree with your thoughts about how they could have killed GMC as well. I don't agree that Pontiac was superfluous and should have been killed though.

Chevy didn't and still does not cover the G8, the Vibe, the G6, the Solstice. It is a shame they killed those cars as they were actually decent rides for the most part. The G8 was an awesome sedan as well, the American Muscle version of the M5 in my opinion. I think if they had done things differently Pontiac could still be around.

QUOTE(dukenukem @ Dec 9 2011, 01:57 PM) *
I still don't trust VW to make a reliable car. Plus, I can actually buy the Veloster so I have to vote for that.

I think VW has done a lot better as of late... but they still certainly still have their issues.

QUOTE(Razor @ Dec 9 2011, 10:45 AM) *

Besides the wing, I don't think it looks that bad.
b0mb3r
i saw veloster in person, it looks awkward. Hyundai still has a bit of work to do in terms of getting steering and shifting correctly.
clarkma5
QUOTE(b0mb3r @ Dec 10 2011, 07:44 PM) *
i saw veloster in person, it looks awkward. Hyundai still has a bit of work to do in terms of getting steering and shifting correctly.

They are a bit strange but I still like their funkiness. Word from the reviews is that Hyundai really did a great job on the steering, shifting, and general control weighting/coordination with the Veloster.
moe
I've read it isn't up to the standard of the Scirocco or the Astra GTC (it's main rivals). By default, that entails it isn't as good at the Peugeot RCZ either (which is supposed to be damn near as good as the Scirocco).

Here's the Autocar review.

Undeniably, the Veloster is practical, economical, brilliantly built, well-equipped and seriously good value for money. But Hyundai’s familiar attributes aren’t guaranteed to secure it lasting success in a marketplace just as concerned with desirability and driver reward.
clarkma5
QUOTE(moe @ Dec 11 2011, 12:36 PM) *
I've read it isn't up to the standard of the Scirocco or the Astra GTC (it's main rivals). By default, that entails it isn't as good at the Peugeot RCZ either (which is supposed to be damn near as good as the Scirocco).

Here's the Autocar review.

None of those vehicles are sold in the US, and if they were they'd be an entire price range higher.
moe
^ I know but this thread wasn't really about what's available in the US. For the record, the price difference between the base Veloster and base Scirocco is about about USD 5k. Interestingly, a fully-loaded Genesis coupe (the only way you get it here), costs the same as a base Scirocco. The RCZ is quite a bit pricer, as they've positioned it as a TT competitor. No one buys Opels in this country...hell I'm not even sure they sell them here anymore.
clarkma5
I understand we're an international forum, but I am defending my vote and POV from a US point of view because that's what's available to me.
moe
QUOTE(shandyman5 @ Dec 10 2011, 04:27 AM) *
Chevy didn't and still does not cover the G8, the Vibe, the G6, the Solstice. It is a shame they killed those cars as they were actually decent rides for the most part. The G8 was an awesome sedan as well, the American Muscle version of the M5 in my opinion. I think if they had done things differently Pontiac could still be around.

I keep forgetting that your Chevy line-up in the US is different than ours. We get the G8/Commodore as the Lumina, and the Caprice is available as a passenger model (these include SS models as well as the CSV-8). We never got the Vibe here, but will be getting the Cruze hatchback, which I think is better anyway. I could care less about the G6, but we do get three different varieties of mid-size sedan, the Epica, Malibu, and Lumina. I think the only real loss to me was the Solstice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.